Suspected meth lab uncovered in Bloomington
Jennifer Lee Preyss
Nov. 8, 2010 at 5:08 a.m.
Updated Nov. 9, 2010 at 5:09 a.m.
Victoria County Sheriff's Department deputies uncovered a methamphetamine lab Monday evening after responding to a house fire in the 100 block of Fifth Street in Bloomington.
The Victoria Fire Department, Victoria Fire Marshal, Bloomington Fire and Rescue and Victoria Special Crimes Unit also responded to the 911 call, which came in around 4:30 p.m.
"Once on scene and the fire was extinguished, it looked like possibly the cause of the fire may have been someone cooking meth," Victoria Sheriff T. Michael O'Connor said.
The man suspected of cooking meth was possibly occupying the mobile home without the consent of the home's owners, Matteo and Noemi Flores.
The man suffered minor burns to the face and arms and was taken by private vehicle to Citizens Medical Center.
Deputy Randy Williams, who went into the building, got sick from smoke inhalation and was transported to Citizens Medical Center to be examined as a precaution, the sheriff said.
Neighbor Richard Darnell said he lives behind the mobile home and often sees people burning materials near the trailer.
"It's off and on, but all the time," Darnell said.
Noemi Flores said she was unaware that anyone was living at the home, and did not know there were narcotics on the property.
When asked if any arrests are expected, O'Connor said the incident is "still under investigation."