Home » McNamara House Museum for sale » Unverified Comments

Comments

• "Dang, one less place in town for the tourists to "bring thier boots"."

This!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good one. lol

November 13, 2010 at 11 p.m.
  • I thought it was a rhetorical question. It's been years for us (my classroom) too. Since we are going to start up with Art History (as a part of our world history) I think we need to go sketch those (are they Ionic?) columns at the Nave. Oh, and tomorrow is the anniversary of Claude Monet's b-day.

November 13, 2010 at 7:28 p.m.
  • Someone better notify Ms. Bise to take off this tourist attraction. OOPS, now there will be another printing cost to print up new brochures to be handed out to all the tourists who are boot-scoot booging on down the road to Victoria. Which brings me to another comment: The campaign that is on billboards about bringing your boots to Victoria should be changed to "Hey, if you forgot your boots, we've got a special Victoria edition just in your side. Forget bringing your boots, just bring your cash."

November 13, 2010 at 7:26 p.m.
  • EdithAnn, in answer to your question...I was last at the McNamara about 4 years ago when I was still teaching school. I took my kids to it every year. If it is losing money then what you do is vamp up activity there. When I was taking Spanish at the College we built our "Day of the Dead alters" in the back kitchen part of the McNamara house. They had a big weekend festival there too that pulled a great crowd. As a history teacher it was one of the only places in the area that I could take my classes and they could still get a good feel of what life was like in early Texas.

I took my classes to the Nave...once when they had the photo exhibit of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera. Pardon me but 300 visitors a month is nothing to brag about...how many people live in Victoria? How many folks visit the city per month. I am sure that the new museum on the VC campus has cost a pretty penny to both build and to keep up. I agree that donations of things and places require up keep that is not always the best of deals for the organizations that take them on but Victoria has lost the train engine, mill, and now the McNamara...what a shame.

As far as the O'Conner connection to the house, personally I could care less. Katherine was the only one who has made any significant contributions to local history...the rest of them can't even think to donate the DeLeon's bed to the new museum so that the hundreds of DeLeon family members that still live in the area can see it somewhere other than in a photo...but that is another can of worms.

Children's Museum...really cool play room. Nave, The Coastal Bend Museum and???? what is the 4th one? Grants and trusts and fundraisers can do a lot.

November 13, 2010 at 7 p.m.
  • Now that's funny!

November 13, 2010 at 6:02 p.m.
  • Dang, one less place in town for the tourists to "bring thier boots".

November 13, 2010 at 3:47 p.m.
  • OneCrabbyLady--the historical documents are at the Victoria College Library because that is the Regional Historical Resources Depository of the Texas State Library and Archives. It is the most appropriate place, and is accessible by all folks, not just VC students. I understand that Gary Dunnam, County Heritage Director and director of VPI has possession of the Jules Leffland architectural drawings and papers at his office.

For those of you waxing nostolgic over this building, the selling price ought to clue you in--$266,000.00? Upkeep on this money pit is certainly more than the income is. They were smart to make the decision they did.

And, not to worry--according to the Convention and Visitors Bureau, we'll still have 4 museums left. And when was the last time any of you visited the McNamara House?

November 13, 2010 at 12:29 p.m.
  • Fact is on homes that are State of Texas Historical Homes, like this one...and are on the National Regit. then they come with strict stipulations to begin with. They can't be torn down, they are very restricted on what changes and updates can be made to the house and usually building materials must be the type used originally...like blown panes of glass and the like. The home is already protected by these two entities.

What I find interesting is why the "Arts" and the "Historical" groups can't work together. The "Nave" is fine for what it is...but honestly...Victoria is not a hang out of the states artists and local artists only pull so much. Maybe the new Museum on the VC campus is using more funding than anticipated? Also why is it that all historical documents go to the college library? I mean...unless you are a registered student you can't get in there...why not the public library?

Funny thing is most towns and cities are vamping up their downtown areas hot and heavy...the baby boomers are a nostalgic bunch and don't like to travel any distances when they reach their destination. Go check out Goliad, Yoakum, Gonzales, Port Lavaca, Cuero....this is not in keeping with what has been going on in Victoria. Maybe you should consider getting new committee and board members for you local historical and museum organizations if they can't do better than this.

November 13, 2010 at 11:35 a.m.
  • Maybe someone can buy it, make it a restaurant (that is going to save the city in tax money), and get a near free parking lot. I'm sure they are short on parking at the courthouse and square.

November 13, 2010 at 10:03 a.m.
  • put a stipulation on the sale that it stays a museum.

November 13, 2010 at 8:36 a.m.