Comments

• Yes I totally agree Observer. We all should be looking to move from this toilet we call a town. I'm sure you are also one of those who champions the metal building phenomenon currently taking this ugly little city by storm. How about the beautiful red tire shop that looks like it should be in Mexico, that sits on a major artery in this beautiful little town of ours. Observer do you live on that gorgeous street Rio Grande? I agree with you totally. If you have any sense, any whatsoever, and if you have school aged children, then run north, run just as fast as you can.

November 16, 2010 at 2:42 p.m.
  • The major negative side to zoning is that it does not allow property owners to maximize the use of their property. Most cities with zoning also have "slums", properties that are frozen in place with no legal way to utilize the properties outside the zoning restrictions. The nice thing about living in a free country is that no one is forced to live anywhere, so if you have a problem with the lack of zoning in Victoria, please feel free to move somewhere else.

November 15, 2010 at 4:53 p.m.
  • Loudandclear. I would remind you that Houston doesn't have zoning and they seem to be getting along quite nicely without it.

Where is that half-million dollar house that is next door to a burger joint? I think it might be in the same area where my purple door with yellow polka dots example sits. :)

November 15, 2010 at 7:58 a.m.
  • But "What right do you have to tell me what to do with my property", only applies if I want a taxpayer funded access to greatly increase the value of my property. Right?

November 15, 2010 at 3:25 a.m.
  • No kidding, I agree with fatguy and irritated texan. This town is an absolute dump compared to other cities it's size. The only town I have ever lived in, where a half million dollar home sits right next door to burger joint and a mobil home. NICE! Zoning is long overdue. Hey wayward, what's up with the purple polka dot paint scheme? I know right where you are talking about! lol

November 14, 2010 at 7:25 p.m.
  • No one complains about San Antonio, businesses are located right next to residential property., or he77, even NYC, you have multi- million dollar apartments and condos right next to iconic businesses.

November 14, 2010 at 4:33 p.m.
  • Zoning is a double edged sword. IMO, zoning laws where never enacted in Victoria years and years ago when the city was incorporated for a good reason.

Since the beginning of it's founding Victoria was a colony, the butcher, baker and candlestick maker not only owned a business, they lived on the second floor, or next door, of the business also.

November 14, 2010 at 4:28 p.m.
  • Victoria's lack of zoning makes it one of the most bizarrre places i've ever lived. The only place i've ever seen $300,000 site built homes surrounded by dilapidated trailers is in un-incorporated county areas.

Here you can have people living with a convenience store on one side, a run-down trailer house on the other, and a guy running a mechanic shop out of a shed in his back yard behind you.

November 14, 2010 at 3:54 p.m.
  • Comparing Sugar Land with Victoria is apples and oranges. I lived in both areas for a considerable periods of time. Sugar Land was a very small company town and has grown into a sizeable city in the last thirty years and during the Houston area boom. Victoria is an old city and things have happened much slower.
    Zoning creates hardships on people and an enviornment that is ripe for corruption.

November 14, 2010 at 3:35 p.m.
  • No zoning is exactly why I refer to this town as the @**hole of Texas. Go to any other town that does have zoning and look how much cleaner, organized, nicer it looks. This place looks like a dump!

November 14, 2010 at 11:38 a.m.
  • When the city begins to pay the mortgages, taxes and insurance bills for property owners, THEN I will support the city telling those property owners what they may -- and, more importantly -- what they may NOT do with THEIR property. This is even more invasive than the city telling property owners they must mow city grass. The same goes for the homeowner's association nazis. I may not like my neighbor's purple with yellow polka dot garage door paint scheme, but it ain't my door.

November 14, 2010 at 10:30 a.m.
  • The town provides infrastructure to get a residential developer to build homes but then it turns it's back on the infrastructure by not providing preventative maintenance or hardly any.

November 14, 2010 at 10:19 a.m.
  • "Because the city lacks zoning, planners can only encourage growth in certain areas. They annex land, for example, and provide infrastructure hoping a residential developer will build a neighborhood."

Really? I thought it only provided parking...

November 13, 2010 at 11:23 p.m.