Home » Pro: Yes to non-citizen voting » Unverified Comments

Comments

• Just remember, the legal immigrant is here by of permission, not by right.

November 16, 2010 at 10:08 p.m.
  • What do we do?

We abide by the law. If you don't like it change the law. But citizens are accorded the right to vote and all others can't. It's pretty simple really.

If they want to vote they can become citizens like millions have done before them. We are a country made from immigration, but you have to give yourself over to being a citizen first. It's the social contract.

November 16, 2010 at 8:46 p.m.
  • CobraKai.. so what are you proposing the United States do?

November 16, 2010 at 11:45 a.m.
  • @UgottaBkidin

Nazi Germany had unification, Mao's China and Stalin's Russia, had it also. None of those worked out too well for those who didn't agree or look the right way.

We get from point A to point B through a give and take of political ideals, but that being said, only citizens have the say in the course of the ship. We don't want outside influence anymore than any other country. If we go down with the ship, we go down together, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let another nation have control over this ship!

November 15, 2010 at 9:23 p.m.
  • UNITED STATES OF AMERICA......is it really united? every where I look I see segregation, even in politics, democrats vs republicans. How can the US preach unification when it cannot be unified itself????

November 15, 2010 at 12:55 p.m.
  • My father fought in WWII. He married my mother while stationed at Fort Benning. He was wounded twice (2 times). He returned to US and continued to be in Army. He was promised when he was recruited that he would get his final US Citenzenship when he returned from combat. He was 17 when he went in, yes at the time he was a legal alien (His mother was married to a US citizen)
    He NEVER got his US papers. He remained VERY patriotic until he died. HE ALWAYS demanded that HIS children would vote (when the time came), it is an honor to do so. He was a 5th grade drop out that became a Mechanical Engineer thanks to the GI Bill.
    Yes, Scarlett, their is a reason for THESE people to vote.
    PS. I am proud to be a 1/2 breed, I have the best of both worlds. My 2nd cousin is Jimmy Carter (X-Prez) and my other cousin is a reknowned Heart Surgeon in Mexico. We had a beautiful home,went to college. But, we fought for this all the way.
    It was not easy in the 50's to be as we are, a loving mixed family trying to have the American Dream.
    Ronda C. Dunn- BA, MEd, PhD.
    798-5730 Ezzell Texas

November 15, 2010 at 8:54 a.m.
  • ""If they're going to stay here and work here, why not?"

Spoken like a budding "progressive" liberal democrat. Why not? Because they're NOT citizens. That's why not. If they are going to live here permanently, pay taxes, own property, start businesses and so on, why not become a citizen? They can then vote. There IS a difference between citizen and legal resident.

November 15, 2010 at 7:51 a.m.
  • No way. It's just an open invitation for our enemies to have a say in how we do business in this Country. I AM NOT saying that all people here are our enemies, but it just opens up a can of worms that should not be opened.
    Other countries will be pouring over here trying to get who knows what through our legal system.
    If someone wants the perks of being and American, they have to become an American in EVERY sense of the word.

November 15, 2010 at 12:49 a.m.
  • "If they're going to stay here and work here, why not?" become a citizen ??? You can't serve two masters. Either you pledge allegiance to the U.S. or your country, but not both. If they came here illegally, they are already law breakers. I know... I know... If you are of a particular ethnic background, laws don't apply to you!

November 14, 2010 at 11:24 p.m.