Comments

• those prices are in line for Lucchese boots. i guess not many Lucchese fans around here.

my last pair ran about $800

November 28, 2010 at 3:53 p.m.
  • To all visitors to Victoria: "Bring your boots" you will need them to kick the **** out of the gangs, thieves and vandals we have here.

November 28, 2010 at 2:41 p.m.
  • Who purchased the inventory of these boots for High Brehm to sell, them or VCVB? Pretty risky proposal for High Brehm considering the price & the fact that these boots are customized to specific tastes, they won't appeal to the masses, so I would think they will have a longer shelf life than their regular inventory.

November 18, 2010 at 3:46 p.m.
  • Oops! I made an error (no surprise there!) @thinksalot made the "Victoria IS Texas" comment.

I think that is a great campaign idea.

November 18, 2010 at 1:59 p.m.
  • Sig - Thanks.
    You know I was thinking last night with all Victoria's history
    we could do a semi-annual "pilgrimage"
    kind of like they do in Natchez, MS and other places.

Gracious - I was astounded 15 years ago at what Jefferson, TX had done and they are very small town.

All kinds of things could be done.

Maybe with some positive Posts the powers that be will give it some thought.

November 18, 2010 at 10:54 a.m.
  • I can't help but think and actual Convention would bring Visitors to this town. We have to go to Austin, Houston, Dallas to attend any kind of industry or recreational convention. I don't think a boots convention would bring people from outside Victoria (excluding the smaller surrounding towns who already shop here and aren't far enough away to get a room). Does anyone know if the CVB has plans for that?

November 18, 2010 at 9:26 a.m.
  • Thank you for the great comments.

@el69runner "Victoria IS Texas" sounds great. I hope Ms. Bise sees your comment and works into the campaign.

@D_Pridgen great post. You have a wonderful knowledge of Victoria and obviously appreciate the town. Lots of good thoughts. I forget about Saxet Lakes.

November 18, 2010 at 8:38 a.m.
  • @thinksalot: If I were in charge, I'd have focused on Victoria as a visitor's home base for history and day excursions. "Victoria IS Texas.
    @ned: Wow. Sounds like we are The Crossroads...
    Exactly, people from Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and Corpus, come to Victoria to get away from the "Big City". Most "Winter Texans" drive thru Victoria on their way to "the Valley". Victoria and surrounding cities have some of the most beautiful churches , court houses, "old buildings", old cemeteries etc. etc in Texas. Promoting what Victoria has to offer rather than what Victoria in itself has would really make more sense.

November 17, 2010 at 11:26 p.m.
  • looked at the boots...speechless

*shaking head*

November 17, 2010 at 11:12 p.m.
  • Oh and BTW - expand on those 6 Flags.
    Everytime you show or tell someone about that part of Victoria's history they seem amazed.
    Regardless, of if they are from Texas, the US, Canada or another continent.

November 17, 2010 at 8:06 p.m.
  • The Crossroads has a lot to offer, but not necessarily on the Boots at this time.
    Textbook explorers (LaSalle and deVaca) could be expanded on.
    Fresh water fishing.
    Perhaps some hunting IF the liabilities could be worked out.

Anybody been out around Saxet Lakes lately?
    With the right enforcement it could be an awesome venue for several things if it was put on the Agenda.
    It looks really nice and has access off of 59 and 77.
    There are not a lot of houses out there that would create any type of issues.

Boots - could go toward..........
    Spend a few thousand, and community service or inmate labor, getting the CC arena in order.
    We are loaded with history, right in the middle of the Texas Revolution.
    Indian raids and how early settlers saved them.
    (The one down at the park in the area where the Pump House is going to be. I think that is the general locale)
    First big cattle ranching operation in the West. (Spanish missionaries)
    Fueds (Sutton - Taylor) the shootings in the area.
    (Wasn't there a movie made in the 1930s or 40 with Robert Taylor starring in this?)

The Union Army comandering a couple of the nice homes in town.
    One on Main Street was headquarters.
    The Carriage House was either a jail or hospital.

There were some shootings that occured at Fossatis' (used to have a white handkerchief in the walls in the back room in the 70s)

As for the importance of the Guadalupe - several years ago when Dr Starkey was on the City Council - he had some proposal. Of course, we all know where that went since it wasn't the right person/s idea.

Just a few thoughts based on VISD education and readings throughout the years.

November 17, 2010 at 8 p.m.
  • I think you are right Holein1, lots of critism but no real alternative ideas. While I am not knocked out by the campaign, its really not that bad, either. The ads I have seen in Texas Monthly look pretty good--again, not embarassing.

I'll be honest with, I was unaware that we even had a Visitor's Bureau until we hired Ms. Bise--and I have lived here 20 years! So in my opinion, she is definately doing something right. I guess what they say is true, any publicity is good publicity.

As far as I can tell, this boots campaign is still in the early stages. I want to see how it plays out. It certainly has everybody's attention right now. I think that's the part of a good campaign. Results hopefully will follow. All the critism seems premature.

As far as "why would anyone want to come to Victoria?" comment goes. I would have to answer, why would you not want to come to Victoria? I think too many of our citizens get too caught up in the details of small town issues and forget to see the big picture. Victoria is a wonderful community. Is it perfect, no, but its a great place to live and raise a family.

I have to ask, with a comment like that, why are you in Victoria?

November 17, 2010 at 5:40 p.m.
  • Why would anyone want to come to Victoria anyway?

November 17, 2010 at 5:07 p.m.
  • Kash, I think the Luccheses started out here, but moved away from Victoria to seek their fortune... and thus a great tradition was born!

November 17, 2010 at 5:03 p.m.
  • From the Lucchese Boot Co website on the history of the company:

A BIT OF HISTORY...
    It was 1880 when Sam Lucchese Sr. and his brothers came to America. Although he was just 17 years old, the young Lucchese had a vision for a career in bootmaking, and just three years later, the Lucchese Boot Company was established in San Antonio, Texas. The family's dedication to its craft and to its customers kept the business alive, but it wasn't until the early 1960s that the founder's grandson and namesake decided to rethink the art of bootmaking.

Looks like our bit of history was overlooked?

November 17, 2010 at 4:40 p.m.
  • I think a cute campaign to attract people is great but it should have something to do with Victoria. What does boots have to do with us? A bootmaker from long ago is going for a stretch. I agree we should emphasize our central location to many bigger towns.

November 17, 2010 at 4:20 p.m.
  • Here is an idea to help pay for the boots. If I were to wear them I would be a walking billboard, SO..........I think they should pay everyone wearing the boots for advertising for them. That is one way to keep the $$$ in Victoria. I mean really they would have to pay me to wear them.

November 17, 2010 at 4:11 p.m.
  • Edith, your memory is correct. Unfortunately I have had some personal issues that have taken a more important role in my life. I am very much still interested in doing the festival and have had some help from people in the area. Doesn't look like it's going to 2011 but now looking at 2012.

November 17, 2010 at 3:49 p.m.
  • I don't disagree with the concept of a marketing campaign. In fact, I think that in such a competitive environment, it's essential.

Still, in my humble opinion the "Boots" campaign is unimaginative and irrelevant. If I were in charge, I'd have focused on Victoria as a visitor's home base for Texas history and day excursions. "Victoria IS Texas." But that's just me, and it's easy to second guess. Besides, I'm local and therefore obviously ill-qualified

November 17, 2010 at 3:15 p.m.
  • Holein1--I seem to recall you were planning a festival for Victoria. How is that coming along?

November 17, 2010 at 2:14 p.m.
  • Good luck with that Sig. Most of the people who complain on this site do only that, complain. They never have a suggestion or solution. They are critics only.

November 17, 2010 at 2:05 p.m.
  • Why do we NEED a "campaign"? Why didn't we just spend the $$$ we gave to Bise for a Visitor's Bureau in Downtown?

Please start working to making this town a better place to live in. The rest of it will then fall into place.

We just blew a lot of money.

November 17, 2010 at 1:36 p.m.
  • I still yet to see how this is an embarassing ad campaign. Maybe a little corney and I agree with VOX a little generic. But its not out of touch with our culture and heritage.

If the boots campaign isn't acceptable, what would be a good campaign?

November 17, 2010 at 1:22 p.m.
  • SIG, Thanks for correcting me on that fact.

How about that Armadillo Festival that they used to have here years ago, wasn't Victoria well know for that event? Why can't that be brought back, or something like that?

November 17, 2010 at 1:21 p.m.
  • Boots?
    Texas is associated with cattle, cowboys (boots, hats, jeans, etc), and oil.
    When you think of Texas and Boots - doesn't Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Houston come to mind?
    Besides where are you going to wear these fine Lucchese boots?
    No good honky tonks/dance halls nor arenas in Victoria.
    Yeah - I know about Schroeder but only occasionally.

If you want to wear your boots to a rodeo you are going to have to go to one of the Crossroads neighboring small communities.

Their arenas put what we have to shame.

It is my understanding the arena at the Community Center is in such bad shape stock contractors do not want to bring their stock in here.

And the Horsemen's Club is too small, needs too much work, and parking to accomadate a "Boots" extravaganza.

November 17, 2010 at 12:20 p.m.
  • We're whining about $750K, a big chunk of which is being spent on agencies outside of Victoria, to promote something that Victoria has never really been known for.

Yes, Texas is identified by many as being associated with cowboy hats and boots. How unoriginal do you have to be to come up with a boot campaign for a Texas city? It's generic. You could use this same campaign for any city in the state.

Did you watch the city council meeting the other day? Rangel said she knew somebody that was shopping in Houston. This person handed the clerk her ID or something and the clerk said "Victoria? Isn't that the place where you wear boots or something?" Rangel made it sound like that was a good thing. To me it sounds like we're a bunch of stupid hicks that can't come up with something better to advertise the city. Yes, it's embarrassing.

November 17, 2010 at 11:34 a.m.
  • Yes you are mistaken, the $750,000 is from motel occupancy taxes collected. So unless you live in motel, its not your tax money.

I can't see what everybody is whining about. The boot campaign may be a little corney, but lets face it boots are as much a part of Texas as cowboy hats. I don't see the embarassment.

November 17, 2010 at 9:41 a.m.
  • So, the Visitors Convention Bureau received $750,000 in our tax money for this???? or am I mistaken?

November 17, 2010 at 9:12 a.m.
  • Bise, Armstrong, and a bunch of these other folks need to be given the boot.

November 17, 2010 at 8:59 a.m.
  • One more time Victoria... Here he is supporting the BOOTS!!!! ENJOY

November 17, 2010 at 8:50 a.m.
  • I was going to say that I just lost respect for Lucchese, but guess I can't blame them for being able to sell the most ridiculous boot around. Heck, they should have asked for a lot more money, I'm sure the council would have paid it.

November 17, 2010 at 8:29 a.m.
  • Come on commentors. Give our leaders a break. Cuero has their turkey, Refugio has their bobcats, Edna has their cowboys, and now Victoria has their boots.

I heard Nancy Sinatra had to cancel at the last moment. She was going to open this event with her famous boot song.

I do believe this is an opportunity for Payless to come out with an affordable pair of "Victoria Boots" for less than $50.

You go Will and friends.

November 17, 2010 at 7:50 a.m.
  • This is about as dumb as it gets. The whole 'Bring Your Boots' thing is ridiculous. I mean really, Victoria is NOT a tourist attraction. It is just a mid sized city with very little to offer. The only reason to bring your boots is so you don't step in all the bs that is around.

November 17, 2010 at 6:41 a.m.
  • Honestly, buying a pair of boots that have Victoria logo on them, just isn't in the works. Why is this important to me? It's not. I'm not embarassed. I'm just not enthusiastic about the whole idea. Honestly, it's ridiculous foo-foo. Even I could have come up with a better campaign slogan for Victoria than, "Bring Your Boots".

November 17, 2010 at 5:54 a.m.
  • oh my god....what an embarrassment for the City. I grew up in Victoria and never owned a single pair of boots....I still don't. What a joke!!

November 16, 2010 at 11:46 p.m.
  • I'm pretty sure the boots are customizable if there's something you don't like.

November 16, 2010 at 8:40 p.m.
  • I can't get over the slogan on the back....my first thought was correct.....tacky

November 16, 2010 at 8:15 p.m.
  • "The Street of Ten Friends"

The City of Victoria seal.

The Chamber's "X marks the spot".

As original as a boot in Texas.

November 16, 2010 at 8:05 p.m.
  • Thanks!

November 16, 2010 at 7:41 p.m.
  • Go to facebook.com/bringyourboots to see pictures. They already posted the pictures from earlier. There is a place to vote for your favorite too.

November 16, 2010 at 7:17 p.m.
  • Is there a picture of the branding boots? I'm dying to see!! I can't imagine wearing boots that say "bring your boots" though, maybe they aren't as tacky as they sound.

November 16, 2010 at 6:41 p.m.