Saturday, July 04, 2015

Advertise with us

Pit bulls attack Chihuahua

By KBell
Nov. 18, 2010 at 5:18 a.m.

Quicho, a Chihuahua-poodle mix, takes a well-deserved nap at his home in the 3300 block of Flamingo Drive after being attacked by two pit bulls. The attack was split up by neighbors and the pit bulls' owner, Michael Ovalle.

Two pit bulls attacked a Chihuahua-poodle mix in the 3300 block of Flamingo Drive around 4 p.m. Thursday.

The Chihuahua mix, named Quicho, was taken to the veterinarian and will recuperate, said his owner, Paul Mascorro.

The pit bulls, owned by Michael Ovalle, 18, broke free from their chains in the 3300 block of Seagull Street and ran past about 20 houses before attacking the Chihuahua-poodle mix, which was on a leash.

Ovalle chased his dogs, Capone and Coco, down the street and witnessed the attack.

"I wanted to cry. I've never seen them attack something. I've raised these dogs," he said.

By the time Ovalle reached the dogs, neighbors were attempting to break up the attack.

Adrianna Garza, 11, said she saw the dogs running for Quicho and threw a newspaper at them. She attempted to free the dogs before Mascorro came out and hit them with a stick.

"I told her, 'What are you doing? Do you know what those dogs could have done to you,'" said Garza's mom, Jennifer, when she later arrived. "But we're dog lovers."

So is the Mascorro family, who said they hoped the pit bulls weren't punished, especially since Quicho's injuries are not severe.

"He just needs to be more careful because that could have been a kid," Mascorro said.

An employee of animal control checked the pit bulls' papers and vaccinations and told Ovalle the dogs seemed to have been raised well and that the incident "looks like an accident."

Ovalle said the pit bulls stay in the backyard with pug dogs, and neighbors said they've never had a problem with the dogs before.

"I think they just thought it was a toy," Ovalle said of Quicho. "I'd rather pay their doctor bills than have the dog die."

Ovalle said he may take the dogs to his uncle's land in the country until everything calms down.

The dogs are now locked up, he said.

The Victoria Police Department responded to the scene.



Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia