Comments

• @KCi..."honor-bound"? It's called "Professional Courtesy", us poor layman called it "letting them off".
    @ Speakup1968...Cobraden comment must have struck a nerve. This tells me your a speeder, habitually run stop signs and red lights. The question was simple, however, the ending was uncalled for.
    Drivers here in Victoria no longer run "yellow lights", they run "red lights", people no longer do "California stops" they don't stop at all.
    I am a biker, one drunk driver ran a stop sign, another ran a red light..both times I was injured. I only blame the drivers.
    I respect our law enforcement and yes, now days it is a very dangerous job.
    The chief warned that for his department, the honeymoon is over? Durn...how many of our law enforcement were off getting married?
    From a simple "Victoria police get tougher on cell phone violations in school zones" to bashing the whole police dept., is this where this article was suppose to go?

November 29, 2010 at 11 p.m.
  • Of course he would....NOT

November 29, 2010 at 3:37 p.m.
  • Hictoria...When was the last time a VPD OFF duty was ticketed? Do you recon he'd show his badge along with his license and still get the ticket?

November 29, 2010 at 3:21 p.m.
  • Outlaw cell phones while driving. Period. If they are not safe at 20 mph, how are they at 70 mph +?

November 29, 2010 at 2:49 p.m.
  • Now there is a story. When was the last time a VPD on duty was ticketed? I am willing to bet never, but I could be wrong.

November 29, 2010 at 2:22 p.m.
  • VISDmom...do you really, honestly expect a VPD cop to be "honor-bound" to report it??? That's too funny. That would a be great way to get along with your fellow workers, right?

How about it, SpeakUp1968...would you report it?

November 29, 2010 at 2:17 p.m.
  • How are they going to enforce those blue tooth geeks?

November 29, 2010 at 2:05 p.m.
  • VISDMom...Yeah, right. As for the chief, I'm not gonna take the chance that the street cops wouldn't retaliate. Ure has what he needs to find out who was driving that car and speak with him. I don't want anybody in trouble. The point of the post was that there is a double standard and that double standard is what creates the Us vs Them mentality. I applaud the police when they take bad guys off the street, arrest dope dealers and transporters, and occasionally catch thieves. Surely you will admit that the vast majority of contact between ordinary citizens and the police is traffic related. When a citizen sees a cop thumbing his nose at the same laws that the citizen would get a ticket for breaking -- revenue for the city -- the citizen feels the basic unfairness of the situation. Rather than a reprimand in his file, I'd much rather see him have to write a check to the city for the same amount I'd have to. I'd like to see his insurance affected like mine would. THAT would be justice and would make citizens feel like the cops would be playing by the same rules we are.

November 29, 2010 at 1:53 p.m.
  • Waywardwind, if another police officer had seen that one, he would have been honor-bound to report it (if he had not been on his way to a call or mistakenly ran the light). If a supervisor saw him, he would have received a reprimand that would be placed in his personnel file. If you got all of that information from the car, you would be within your rights to call Chief Ure and give him that information. You are correct, the police should (and are) be held to the same standards we are.

November 29, 2010 at 1:23 p.m.
  • SpeakUp1968 ... Okay, here's one from the revenooer crowd. THIS MORNING, 11-29 at 6:59 AM, while I was on my way to work, I was stopped at Mockingbird and Navarro waiting for a left turn light when the lights on Navarro changed. The driver of a Victoria Police car, license number 1052461 with a (I suppose) unit number 223 went southbound through the intersection with a red light facing him. He stopped at the red lights at Crestwood and Colorado. When he got to Rio Grande, he turned left toward HEB again after stopping at the red light.

Now, he didn't do anything dangerous because of the overlap of red lights all the way around and he did clear the intersection prior to my left turn light changing to green. The point of this is that if the positions had been reversed and it had been me who ran the red light and he had seen me do it, he would have stopped me and given me a ticket thereby increasing the revenue of the city.

Like Ceaser's wife, those with the authority to enforce the laws should be held to a higher standard because of the way it looks when they don't obey them. I am quite sure that this officer is a good driver and probably obeys the traffic laws most of the time and didn't intentionally run that red light -- you know, sorta like most citizens who get caught violating a law inadvertently. The difference is, even if he'd been seen by another cop, HE would not have gotten a ticket and any ordinary citizen WOULD have gotten one. So, Speakup, you can call this police bashing if you wish; I guess it kinda is, but there would be a lot less bashing if the cops would either obey the laws themselves, pay the penalty if they don't OR understand that sometimes even private citizens get into a situation where they, for whatever reason, break a law -- most times without causing a wreck -- and not ticket the driver.

November 29, 2010 at 12:14 p.m.
  • Does this apply to illegal invaders or do they get a free pass on this as well? I know they don't have to have insurance or a driver's license. It should apply because their illegal kids are in the school at tax payer's expense (see artical in Advocate). The only ones at risk are American citizens.

November 29, 2010 at 11:20 a.m.
  • Cobraden, I'm curious. How many police officers do you think VPD actually has? And of those, how many do you think are on shift at any one time? And you truly expect to have one at every single stop sign and red light and on every single street to stop all those you mentioned?

I truly don't know where some people come up with their questions! People, our PD does a darn good job at what they are given to do. Yes it was their choice, but they "choose" to put their life between you and the "thugs" of this world. They come to your house when there is a drive by shooting, or when a woman's significant other (or a man's significant other) decides to use them as a punching bag. They come when you call about loud music...maybe not as quickly as you want, but life and limb comes before loud music. It's like this...they have family, and to a somewhat lesser degree, for their family it is like having their loved one at war...waiting, but hoping to not hear that knock on the door and seeing the Captain bringing the ultimate bad news.

People aren't perfect; to my knowledge there was only one perfect person and He isn't here on earth right now. I know many of the officers in our PD, and I am very proud to call those ladies and gentlemen my friends.

November 29, 2010 at 11:07 a.m.
  • Thank you waywardwind & dtewes for the answer, That did clarify the answer for me. Your helpfulness is appreciated.

November 29, 2010 at 8:22 a.m.
  • How about cracking down on speeders, stop sign and red light runners? Or maybe this is too much for the VPD to handle?

November 29, 2010 at 8:21 a.m.
  • Good questions, Wayward and Country. Here's what I got from Police Chief Bruce Ure: The answer is that the only time that this is enforced is when a school is occurring and during school zone hours. Some school zones in Texas do not have blinking lights, and only signage, which means that drivers should pay extra attention to school zone signage, not just lights. Thanks.

November 29, 2010 at 8:15 a.m.
  • Isn't it a school zone only between the particular hours in the morning and afternoon on days school is in session whether the lights are flashing or not? I would think the cell phone restriction only applies during the school zone hours of operation. But then, I'm one of those weird people who think it's kind of a bad thing to use cell phones anytime you're driving. But as for as revenue generation is concerned, I'm thinking that the prohibition is only for the posted times on the school zone sign.

November 29, 2010 at 7:57 a.m.
  • I have a question, I am unclear about this. I KNOW that when the lights are flashing it is illegal, is it illegal at anytime of the day, even when the lights are not flashing to talk on the cell? I would appreciate some feedback on this question.

November 29, 2010 at 7:38 a.m.