Comments

• VBB, EVERY runner I know wears very limited clothing so the idea of pepper spray to ward off a 100+lb dog wouldn't help. Trust me, if I could find a snug holster for a little Taurus 22 Pistol (no matter what the season) then yes I would carry. YES I have my CHL & practicing helps ensure you don't miss when you fire. There are 2 different ranges in Victoria and I have been to them both. When we do discharge our firearm in the county we always call the SO to let them know.

Are you a runner VBB? Have you been minding your own business, just to be attacked for no reason? I have... both in the city & county. Discharging a gun (including a pellet gun) in the CITY is a crime, not the county! Protecting yourself is not a crime as long as it is justified & you are in imminent danger.

I run the trail and have come across some shady people & my only protection was my car key. Having alittle something extra would really helped keep me calm and feel more in control. If you do not have a CHL I do recommend taking the class, it was very informative.

Again, I am sorry for the family that is losing their family pet.

October 12, 2010 at 11:03 p.m.

October 12, 2010 at 8:18 p.m.
  • Txmom3....you are seriously saying running with a GUN is less cumbersome than running with pepper spray? That is the funniest thing I have ever heard!! Do you have seasonal guns? A light .22 for spring/summer and a 40 cal for fall/winter? When running, where do you keep your gun? Are you aware discharging a firearm is a crime, much less shooting an animal? Do you have a concealed carry permit? And God forbid, what if you missed & shot someone? I do think I would much rather take my chances with a dog than another runner packing heat.

The owners were definately irresponsible by allowing the dog to roam free. The loss of their childrens beloved pet sits squarely on thier shoulders. They most definately should pay for the victims medical bills & anything else that accrues due to their gross negligence. People need to start using common sense.

October 12, 2010 at 7:09 p.m.
  • dog owner fail going on here

October 12, 2010 at 1:38 p.m.
  • Familyman1122~Are you a runner? When you see people running have you seen them carry pepper spray on their person? Pepper spray (9 times out of 10) only aggrivates a dog & then it would have been a provoked attack. Me, if I can find a light enough gun to carry on my person, I will shoot to protect myself.

The dogs, all of them, were let out of a fenced area to "roam" but yet he was "Unsupervised"!!!! I do understand this is the country but have respect for your animals & your neighbors.

Seriously, not saying Det. Luna wanted it to happen but I would rather see an adult get bit rather than a child. I'm sorry for the trauma that the owner's children are going through but what about the victim's wife & children?

October 12, 2010 at 8:39 a.m.
  • I can't believe that some dog OWNERS don't take care of their dogs properly by putting them in their BACKYARD especially if they spent $3000 on a new fence for their dog/dogs! If this Rott would of been there this wouldn't of happened nor would the dog be put down for the OWNERS error!!

October 12, 2010 at 6:22 a.m.
  • This rott should be put down! After the second attack on a human should be manditory death for the dog. Why did the officer not have his pepper spray with him. Maybe next time he runs he will think about taking it with him. The pepper spray may have prevented this attack and saved his leg.

October 12, 2010 at 4:03 a.m.
  • This dog should not have been allowed to run loose after the 1st time he attacked the officer or anyone for that matter.

October 11, 2010 at 9:35 p.m.
  • What I really don't understand is why a family always says that they are surprised at the way the dog acted, even though they must see stories on the news all the time about family dogs doing the unexpected and maiming, or killing, someone.
    People, your dogs are not special and they can turn on you on the turn of a dime. It happens all the time.
    It doesn't matter how well they were trained, or how well they behaved since they were pups, their natural instincts can come out at anytime and you will have no control over it.
    This dog should not have been around children after the first attack on the officer.

October 11, 2010 at 9:32 p.m.

October 11, 2010 at 9 p.m.