Home » Deal for Victoria overpasses dumped » Unverified Comments

Comments

• ""He said it's his opinion that the city also needs to reserve money to extend Airline Road east to property that has been offered for a destination university. He said that university could bring 5,000 to 10,000 students to the city.

"This could be a university town in 10 years,""
    Why are we worrying about this road to nowhere now? No one has accepted the land. No one has plans to accept this land now. Or does someone's buddy want a road to development his land?

October 14, 2010 at 1:28 p.m.
  • ROFL @ having a loop with stop lights....EPIC FAIL

October 14, 2010 at 12:25 p.m.
  • Really, Loop 463? I agree a loop has no stops, just exits! Call it what it is. A street. An unsafe one at that!

October 14, 2010 at 1:01 a.m.
  • 5,000 - 10,000 students?? Are you serious??? Doing all you can to push that Airline expansion huh? I think the city has alot more pressing issues at hand that you should fix first - streets(repair what you have), cleaning up the city(in more ways than one), lame marketing campain(boots?? how about gateway to fishing or the history of the area or even nothing), and lowering property taxes / appraisals.

Advocate - how about an article on the main players pushing university expansion and extension of airline to the "free" land and their relationships with all parties. You know, like that article on a political canidate and his major donor you did a while back right before the election.

October 13, 2010 at 11:18 p.m.

October 13, 2010 at 9:38 p.m.
  • We need these overpasses and we need to pay for them.
    And that means we need a tax to fund these over passes.

And we need to stop calling this piece of pavement a loop.
    Loops circle cities, have no stops and don't go under overpasses.

October 13, 2010 at 8:30 p.m.
  • if it could happen, an expanded uh-v would be the biggest economic boom to hit this town.

since the overpasses have been nuked, how about lowering the speed limit and adding more lights ?

October 13, 2010 at 7:44 p.m.
  • I could say so many things but everyone else has already covered the big issues. The only thing I have left to say is - If I wanted to live in a university town (aka - party town) I would move to College Station, Huntsville, Waco, Austin...you get the point.

October 13, 2010 at 6:46 p.m.
  • Humble - I can totally understand your concern with crossing the loop. I may have a solution. Instead of trying to cross all of the lanes at once, take a little detour. Take Mockingbird to the light and turn left(protected) then you can make an easy right on to Salem. When coming back into town on Salem, turn right towards Stockbauer and Navarro. Sure it's going to add a couple of minutes and 1/4 of a mile to your drive, but it's a whole lot safer.

October 13, 2010 at 12:30 p.m.
  • On January 28th of this year Armstong was quoted as saying while referring to the city funding the building of the overpass:

"I think it's an investment in public safety that's absolutely paramount," Mayor Will Armstrong said of the funding decision. "This is a long-range project that will pay for itself many times over."

Today he is quoted as saying "Everything has changed," Mayor Will Armstrong said. "Our priorities have changed drastically since we went to Austin."

In January the issue of the city financing the building of the overpass was superior to all other issues according to Armstrong. He and others played the "safety" trump card to justify to taxpayers this was the thing to do.

Have the priorities of the city council changed to the point that the public safety issue is not paramount? If public safety was truly the determining factor for spending more tax dollars what has changed over the last 9 months? Has that stretch of highway suddenly become safer or is the real truth the fact that there are other projects to spend this money on that, in the eyes of some, will leave a bigger "legacy" associated with his/their names?

October 13, 2010 at 12:14 p.m.
  • Some folks have asked, "What will the CAT plant really cost the citizens?"

Others have questioned the lack of intergovernmental cooperation that yielded the urgent "unforeseen" need for overpasses.

Well, there's something here for everyone.

October 13, 2010 at 12:09 p.m.
  • Isn't anyone bothered that the Mayor seems to be willing to trade citizen safety for the road to his legacy? At least he's honest about it.

October 13, 2010 at 10:30 a.m.
  • This is just super. Now we are stuck with the new lights that turn red ansd stop traffic on the loop for no reason. I mean, come on highway dept., can't you figure out how to control these lights. Probably not, seeing as a kid was able to hack your 'highly sophisticated' sign that was out there. I am getting sick and tired of having to stop when there are no cars even waiting at the Mockingbird light.

October 13, 2010 at 10:20 a.m.
  • Why would hundreds of trucks a day use Stockbauer for Caterpillar? The business park has direct access to the loop no? Use the loop as the main way in and out of the business park.

Stockbauer between business 59 and hwy 59 isn't that busy of a street...that money should go to fix Sam Houston or any of the other HEAVILY traveled streets that are in disrepair.

October 13, 2010 at 10:15 a.m.
  • And even better question is why the overpass(es) weren't put in when the Loop was widened to a divided four lane just a few short years ago?

Can you say "Waste Taxpayers Money", or "Lack of Foresight and Planning", or "My brother-in-law is in the paving business"?

October 13, 2010 at 9:56 a.m.
  • I live off of Salem Rd and I have to cross Loop 463 every day, several times a day. It is a very dangerous intersection. I have lived out here for 12 years and it just gets worse and worse. I have only had one car accident in my life, and it was at the intersection of Salem and 463 and my car was totaled. I had my 5yr old son in the car with me, Thank God we were not seriously injured. (FYI: the other person involved in the wreck was at fault and did get a ticket) But I have seen several other accidents at the intersection and they were bad. One accident killed a 17 year old boy! I am fortunate to have made it thru 2 teenage children of mine driving without any accidents there, and they both have graduated high school now and live on their own. Now I have a child that turned 15 this month and is ready for his permit. I am scared to death of him driving across the loop, and then I have one more to go thru after him, but he's in kindergarten so he won't drive for a while! What I don't understand is, Why can't the city build one overpass at a time? Why do they have to put 2 in the plans at all? There has not been a high amount of accidents at Mockingbird. That would cut the cost in half to only building one overpass at Salem. Also, out of all of the roads on this part of the loop, Salem is the only one that goes straight across. The other roads end at 463. I would think that would make Salem a priority. I could not handle loosing one of my children in a car accident, that an overpass could possibly prevent, just so the city can make other roads pretty to impress a big company. It has been 10yrs since my accident but I still think about it EVERY time I am sitting at the stop sign waiting for traffic clear so I can safely cross, and I usally have to wait for a while. Especially since school started. WE REALLY NEED THAT OVERPASS! Our safety, and the safety of our children depend on it!

October 13, 2010 at 9:49 a.m.
  • Sorry, HookEm, but we already have plans to built the "Will Armstrong Lane" when Airline is extended to the huisache patch out to the east.

Forget an overpass at Salem, build it at Airline when the "Good Ole Boys" get their new "Harvard-in-the-Brush" pushed through. TTUV? TAMUV? UTV? Which will it be?

October 13, 2010 at 4:47 a.m.
  • 'Never look a gift horse in the mouth' ...
    Now, the money that was allocated to these overpasses (by the city government and the county government) can be used as intended. There is no shortage of streets that need repair in this town. Pick a bad one and start working on it.

October 13, 2010 at 4:21 a.m.