Comments

• bighorn: I think you are confused the Mayor election was in May and he is not up for reelection until May of 2013. That is the whole point of this recall but my question is still where were all these people back in May. We had a small turn out for the city election this is why I would like to see the city elections to be moved to Nov. to coincide with the National elections.

October 15, 2010 at 9:04 a.m.
  • I agree, Jeff Williams is a man of GOD. He will bring the almighty back into town hall and stop all the wasteful spending and useless constructions projects. We must stop this out of control government. NO NO NO!!!

Is he running in November?

October 15, 2010 at 7:42 a.m.
  • Man of God or not, Mr. Williams is not up for election for the Mayor's office in November. Will Armstrong is.

"Recall before Reelection!" Is such a thing allowed? The question is not what tree this guy fell out of, but how many branches his head hit on the way down.

October 14, 2010 at 10:19 p.m.
  • I'm still worried about this dude.

October 14, 2010 at 10:08 p.m.
  • I willl vote for Jeff Williams a man that has great integrity and is authentic. Most of all a man of God.

October 14, 2010 at 8:29 p.m.
  • BSspotter
    In the case of the elected mayor:The will of the people was represented in actual votes.

In your case: you are the self appointed judge of what the people want... It's speculation.

In cases of criminal wrongdoing, the defendant normally resigns saving the taxpayers the expense of recall..... The $30,000 shouldn't be an issue if the mayor's action warranted recall.... This is a case of a wannabe/ opportunist trying to take advantage of some vulnerable voters who think they will save a $1.25 in taxes.... Everyone has a personal agenda; some will use smoke screens to try to mask theirs, but you can run but you can't hide....Comment history.

October 14, 2010 at 4:02 p.m.
  • Mike said: "Leave it to BSspotter to shamelessly shill for his candidate... Shall I say opportunist?"

I was simply presenting viability stats in response to LMS saying "All Victoria needs is a viable candidate."

And leave it to Mike to talk about the "will of the people" out of one side of his mouth while mocking the need for more public-friendly meeting times out of the other side that would allow the people to present the wills to their entire county-governing body weekly.

As much as I don't like the added cost of recall elections and don't tend to advocate for them, I believe the people's will can change as new information is presented, and it should always be an option. A new election will also be the people's will.

October 14, 2010 at 3:44 p.m.
  • Question:

Who is Jeff Williams? What does he do?

October 14, 2010 at 3:39 p.m.
  • Let me clarify I am against this recall and hate to admit that I have to agree with Mike's statement. But if Jeff Williams Runs in 2013 he will have my Vote again.

October 14, 2010 at 3:08 p.m.
  • Unless there is serious criminal wrongdoing; an election should never be overturned... The will of the people should never be compromised. We have a ballot box for those that were disappointed with the results..... This can lead to replacing the will of the people with recall petitions.

October 14, 2010 at 2:53 p.m.
  • LMS: "All Victoria needs is a viable candidate."

Jeff Williams was about 60 swing votes shy of taking Halepaska's seat, so I think he'd unseat the Mayor 60-40.

October 14, 2010 at 2:44 p.m.
  • Where was this guy in May, if you look at the votes from the May election Armstrong is easily beatable. All Victoria needs is a viable candidate. We need more people to show up at the city counsel meetings and let the counsel know that we the citizen are not happy being lied to.

October 14, 2010 at 2:41 p.m.
  • Typically, any mustachioed man gutsy enough to eat a mustard dog before having his picture taken would have my endorsement but in this case I can't really support spending so much money to recall this elected official when action could have taken place BEFORE the votes were cast.

October 14, 2010 at 1:49 p.m.
  • @cobraden

Exiled to Edna would be worse - Elba is quite beautiful.

;-)

October 14, 2010 at 9:39 a.m.
  • @cobraden, His comment struck me too. However, I have heard him speak on a couple of occassions, and I think he may have been reacting in a sarcastic manner. I am not his spokesperson, but I am sure he would chat with you about it if you are concerned.

October 14, 2010 at 9:19 a.m.

October 14, 2010 at 8:43 a.m.
  • "He claimed in the newspaper I was rude," Armstrong said. "He's probably right because I can be provoked into being rude."

And obviously proud of being rude, what a pig headed bully Armstrong is. I for one will sign any petition to get him exiled to Elba.

October 14, 2010 at 8:22 a.m.
  • I second BSspotter's comments.

October 14, 2010 at 7:44 a.m.
  • Really??? Really??? Mr. Heiling, where were you a few months ago when we had this thing call an election? If you are so concerned with spending, why are you mounting a recall that could cost tax payers $30,000? That doesn't sound like fiscal responsibility to me!

And regarding the Bring Your Boots campaign, first, it's not paid with local taxpayer money, it's funded by visitors to our area thought the hotel/motel tax. And love it or hate it, at least CVB is doing something to market our community rather than spending the majority of their budget on printing nametags for family and class reunions. For the first time in the 20 years I've lived here there is a coordinated marketing effort for our city and I commend CVB for making something happen.

With our marketing campaign, Main Street Project, University expansion, new businesses (such as Catapillar) moving in and so many other things going on, Victoria has the most amazing forward momentum right now, unlike anything I've ever seen, and I commend our city leaders for moving us forward!

October 14, 2010 at 7:20 a.m.
  • Where was this guy a couple of months ago, during the primary? It's ridiculous to start a recall while the Mayor is still pending reelection in November. Next!

October 14, 2010 at 7:11 a.m.

October 14, 2010 at 6:54 a.m.
  • thanks for post bsspotter

October 13, 2010 at 10:20 p.m.
  • With the news today about the city dropping plans for the overpasses.....I am all for a recall of this man. This city has no vision of the future, and no real goals. I guess we will now wait for the bodies to start piling up on the loop. At some point, the city will realize they have to have the overpasses after all, but there will be no state money then, so......more taxes will be called for to fund it without state help. It would be laughable if it were not so serious an issue.

October 13, 2010 at 9:41 p.m.
  • As noble as Mr. Heiling's intentions are, I'd like to see Jeff Williams run against the mayor if the recall is successful.

———— Relevant Blogs ————

Heiling's Letter: If We Had A Real Mayor:
    www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/para...

Mayor's City Charter Violation??:
    www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/para...

Flashback: Mayor's City Charter Violation??:
    www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/para...

City Wolves Guarding the Citizens’ Henhouse:
    www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/para...

Off-Site City Council Meeting Audio (see tracks 16 & 17):
    www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/para...

October 13, 2010 at 9:36 p.m.
  • one month of the bring your boots advertising budget could probably pay for the election....i would have loved to have seen someone strong run against them in the election, but most people are working so hard who has time to run for mayor....the right fiscal responsibility applied to the budget could easily pay its self back the cost of an election with the money saved

October 13, 2010 at 9:29 p.m.
  • fatguy makes an excellent point, voter apathy rings the death knell for a potential recall.

How to fire the electorate up? Persuade a certain ex-drill team leader to run for office...

October 13, 2010 at 9:23 p.m.
  • Peoples good will and silence has been pushed too long....we are just tired of being over taxed and under represented....i have pride in victoria and her people.....its time for REAL fiscal responsibility, and i think it is time for new faces...people who arent politicians, but taxpayers

October 13, 2010 at 9:21 p.m.
  • Ummm, Ok, I'll just throw it out there. So where were you about 6 months ago when it may have mattered Helling ? During the last election all we could muster to run against the mayor was a local nut and a coffee barista. And they still managed to snag an astounding 40% of the vote. Recalls have a pretty lame track record and now, the City that you want to save money for, is gonna have to pony up about 30K for an unscheduled election. Good luck I guess.

October 13, 2010 at 9:17 p.m.
  • fight the power !

October 13, 2010 at 9:05 p.m.
  • "What he needsThe city charter states that a recall election petition must be signed by at least 10 percent of the qualified voters in Victoria..."

That's a higher percentage than actually voted in the last mayoral election, I believe.

October 13, 2010 at 8:54 p.m.
  • Good for him! "Bring your boots" is awful, and everyone i know loathes it.....tax payer dollars are abused in this town....property taxes continue to be raised....roads get worse....i would love to see a new looking downtown, but first i would like to be able to drive my car there without losing a tire on our awful roads....$2,500 are given to people for down payment assistance on a home.......thats a nice gesture, but what gives them the right to take your money or my money for that matter to pay someone elses down payment...why not get tough on things like that arizona sheriff...lets have our inmates run our pounds, fix our roads.....cut back on entitlement programs.....have our city officials work for the people....not tax us to death and decide where they want to spend our money...sorry got long winded....but taxes suck...its OUR money they are spending on this dumb stuff!!

October 13, 2010 at 8:50 p.m.