Comments

• As for Polasek's statment that the engineer still has option to blow horn THIS IS INCORRECT. A look on the internet shows that Federal law prohibits horn blowing except during an actual emergency

So city staff has misinformed Polasek

October 26, 2010 at 6:48 a.m.
  • Morgan020 -
    I pity your Mom.
    I live on the opposite side and the highway inside the city limits.
    So with the winds blowing my direction I swear I hear that train all the way from Inez in the still of the night.

October 25, 2010 at 4:57 p.m.
  • Morgan020 -
    You have a very valid point!!
    Of course in the last 30 - 40 years we've had about 3 or 4 deaths and/or very bad wrecks, that I can recall, because they didn't SEE the crossing arms and lights.

AND that was BEFORE cell phones and texting.

October 25, 2010 at 4:55 p.m.
  • People living close to railroad that are frequently used should have their home foundations checked for unnecessary breaks/cracks. Just a thought!

October 25, 2010 at 2:14 p.m.
  • I love the sound of the train horns especially at night!

October 25, 2010 at 1:49 p.m.
  • The money would be better spent in law enforcement creating gang-free zones.

October 25, 2010 at 12:33 p.m.
  • they really do need to look into fixing this. my mother in law lives in Brentwood, out by the airport, and its almost getting to the point where i cant even allow my son to stay the night any more. its ridiculous how long they blow their horns. there is no hiding from the ear piercing blows from the obnoxious horns! oh and on a side note, make another entrance/exit from that neighborhood too. when the trains stop in front of it there is no getting out sometimes for as long as 15-20 minutes! they bought this house 30+ years ago and has said that the trains that went by back then were not even half as loud as they are now. and D_Pridgen...people have no common sense and since when would it be the railroads fault for some dumbass going around the crossing gaurd rails and getting hit by the train whether they blow the horn or not? thye train conductor didnt make the driver go around. and if the rails are down then that should do a sufficient job for those that actually know the danger of trains and know the law. the problem with that is more than half of the people in victoria have never properly learned how to drive and never will. count them getting hit by a train survival of the fittest.

October 25, 2010 at 12:31 p.m.
  • I appreciate them easing up on the whistle in the middle of the night; besides the light will blind you.

In the daytime, it doesn't matter.
    There are more noisy vehicles on the roads that are so loud you can't hear emergency vehicles, who notices a train?

Whatever happened to Stop, Look, and Listen?

October 25, 2010 at 10:17 a.m.
  • I have lived in the woodway subdivision for 5 years or so and at first the horns were loud, but like legion357, I dont even hear it anymore. Did I mention I only live less that a block from the tracks. I have spoken with a few of my neighbors that live right on nursery road by the tracks and most of them dont hear it anymore either. Victorians have to remember you can't control everything in town....pick your battles some are more important than others. So in closing just let the railroad do their job, because the first time they dont blow that horn at an intersection and, god forbid, someone gets hit by the train it will definately be the railroads fault not the person that tried to beat the train or the person going around the warning gates. .......Just an opinon.

October 25, 2010 at 9:17 a.m.
  • I live about 200 yards from a RR crossing. I bearly hear the train go by anymore. I don't even hear the horn any longer. I guess I am used to it by now. The horns only honk for a few seconds and then it's over. The trains are a necessity and we will just have to learn to live with them or move. To those who want quiet zones, move next to a hospital or out in the country.

October 25, 2010 at 5:54 a.m.
  • "It", "they", whichever..

October 24, 2010 at 6:38 p.m.
  • I like the sound of the train whistles myself, I use to live about 200 yards from the tracks on 87, I didn't bother me then either.

October 24, 2010 at 6:37 p.m.
  • "Teri Wilks, who serves on the Flatonia City Council, said residents there were also told that it would be an expensive proposition, costing $250,000 per intersection. She said she researched the topic on the Internet and found a way to install safety devices at a total cost of $50,000 for all four crossings" ie $12,000 per crossing

"The cost could top $250,000 per crossing, yet the engineer still has the option of blowing the whistle in the quiet zones, he said." ie Mayor Pro Tem Paul Polasek

Who do you believe? someone that has done it...... or a City of victoria official

October 24, 2010 at 6:12 p.m.