Comments

• Mr. Lamppost, It's pretty hard to keep up with these kinds of things while taking care of my two children and trying to bring them up in an environment where they are in debt before they are even school!

It is clear now that someone needs to keep tabs here because our people in office are not!

Thank you for the information, I will be looking at the resources you provided.

September 13, 2010 at 9:21 p.m.
  • Mr. RobertTX, I highly doubt that the gangs are playing golf! Why would there be gangs on the golf course?

Maybe you have turned a blind eye to all the gang spray paint, but, I have no problems seeing it, and I for one don't want my kids exposed to that!

Mr. Williams, thank you for your wonderful statements! Finally someone out there is saying what I have been thinking! I for one don't want to saddle my children with debts they will never be able to repay! I thought all this debt spending was happening in congress, but I guess the all these elected people are the same. Just spend all my hard earned money, and saddle my kids with debt!

September 13, 2010 at 8 p.m.
  • There is one amendment to this budget that could be made and solve several issues.

Cut the funding for the splash pad and save $500K for the state (which is facing multi-billion dollar shortfalls) and save $500K this year and $50K to $100K for every year here on out in maintenance for the taxpayers of Victoria.

Take $180K of this and build the fire training facility that is desperately needed, use another $160K to reduce the tax rate back to the current .645 and put another $160K in "savings" or what is know as fund balance. (Actually $320K would go to fund balance if council did not find another way to spend this money or the tax rate could be cut from .65 to .64)

I still can't believe police personnel funding is being reduced below budgeted amount for the current year but that is what has happened. I think we need to hire more police officers to deal with the level of crime in the city and we need to do more to retain the ones we do have. This also applies to our fire fighters/EMS. We need to be working to adjust wages/benefits & working conditions to where we retain a higher percentage of our trained people and not loose them to other cities that pay a better wage.

I think the problem is we have several on council who are more concerned with leaving their "legacy" then with making tough decisions required to fund the essentials.

I also wonder why the initial budget presented, and approved, on Sept. 7th was amended just 2 days later with hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional expenditures? I have not had time to view the meeting if full, does anyone know what the additional expenditures are for? I caught just part of the meeting
    and thought I heard $350K for fire fighter training. Why would this level of training not be included in the initial budget but amended after-the-fact? Is this to cover for some other issue that has not been revealed to the public?

Taxpayers of Victoria you should prepare yourself for what is happening in the upcoming years. By 2018 the amount of debt paid each year will be twice what it was just several years ago (before we began legacy building), 25% more then what is in the current proposed budget. With debt payments increasing by another 25% in 6 years there is only 2 ways to pay it. Either the tax base will increase or the tax rate will go up to cover the shortfall of increase in the base. If the numbers I have heard are correct we will need another half billion dollars in additional tax base in the next 6 years just to maintain the debt portion of the current tax rate. All taxpayers are being left with a legacy, pay me know and pay me later.

September 13, 2010 at 4:06 p.m.
  • ive spent many, many mornings / afternoons / evenings at riverside park and can't ever remember seeing 'gangs' roaming the park.

what i have seen, is many people using the jogging / walking trail, many people using the playgrounds and bbq'n, many people enjoying the duck pond (past due for a sprucing up), many people enjoying baseball games at rosebud and many people enjoying the golf course.

maybe all these years ive been playing golf with gang members and had no clue ?

September 13, 2010 at 3:20 p.m.
  • Those waterparks are dangerous. Someone could drown.

September 13, 2010 at 2:54 p.m.
  • AtHomeCEO. I think maybe if the city payed more attention to the salary of the police instead of lining the pockets of the local politicians this would not be a concern. Victoria ranks very low in police and firefighter wages.

September 13, 2010 at 2:26 p.m.
  • Airline Splash Pad? When is that happening? Why is there no information out there about this?

I tell you what, I wouldnt take my kids there! How long before this thing gets taken over by the gangs just like Riverside Park and Ethel Lee Tracy Park?

September 13, 2010 at 1:35 p.m.
  • Look for the "pork" in the budget - there is always some more. Prioritize needs vs. wants.

How much would be saved by closing all non-emergency offices 2 hours early on Fridays?
    It would reduce numerous costs: utilities, maintenanace, labor and associated burdens.

In the long run it could save jobs as well.
    I'm sure everyone would rather loose a couple hours pay a week versus loosing their job.

It works.
    The private sector has had to make adjustments - so can government and municipalities.

September 13, 2010 at 12:54 p.m.
  • One of my friends told me I should look at the online postings here. She told me that there were more people that felt the same way I did about my taxes! I cant believe that they are going to raise our taxes again! It just makes me sick!

September 13, 2010 at 11:28 a.m.
  • City Manager Charles Windwehen said another factor is the change in appraised values. Half of the appraised values went down, 16 percent remained unchanged and 34 percent went up.

So is the town council suggesting that appraisals go up every year so they can have their fat for the pet projects they each seem to have? BS!

September 13, 2010 at 8:49 a.m.
  • I WILL vote for David Hagan in the next election.
    I'm not so sure about the rest of them.

September 13, 2010 at 7:06 a.m.