Comments

• AtHomeCEO,

I think we may actually agree on most things. All I am saying is Mr. Williams is right, no more debt. If you have travelled the world you would now our roads in the US are awesome. I don't think Sam Houston and Laurent are that bad and I agree with Jeff, we could have waited 10 or 15 years before fixing them. The village council could have just saved the money to fix them rather than borrow the money. Most people I talk to nowdays saved up for thier large purchases like thier house and cars, they didnt borrow money, they paid cash for these items. Why cant the city?

September 15, 2010 at 8:55 p.m.
  • roberttex,
    if the money is being wasted on unneeded projects and such, well shame on them
    Problem is the definition of "wasted and unneeded". It's in the eye of the beholder and therein lied the rub. From the comments it sounds like the curent Supreme Court-like 4-3 mix will probably be changed to suite the "no more taxes no matter what" people in the county. BUT--becafeful of what you wish for,you may just get it!lol

September 15, 2010 at 4:18 p.m.
  • if the money is being used for proper reasons, then so be it

but if the money is being wasted on unneeded projects and such, well shame on them

September 15, 2010 at 3:42 p.m.
  • I believe that the city can benefit from some practices instituted by putting my hat in the next city council race

Starting with the council itself adopting clearly articulated goals. This approach can provide helpful focus and framework for policy decisions and resolution of competing priorities. Each city department should have service objectives developed with citizen participation from the ground up. And to build and keep public trust, especially today, every public servant should strive to strengthen government accountability, transparency and communication.

Please stay tuned as i will be posting some more of my thoughts on my blog and when it becomes closer to City council elections, I will post my official announcement for candidacy.

September 15, 2010 at 3:28 p.m.

September 15, 2010 at 3:21 p.m.
  • Well I can tell you this Mr. Pat_Murf, I want to see more of these roads fixed because our roads are horrible! What I dont want to see is another area for these street gangs to hang out at using my tax money. I have been watching these meetings online and it seems like all those guys up there want to do is keep spending and spending and spending like there is no tomorrow. All this splashpad is is a place for people like Pepper to take free showers.

These guys up there need to be thrown out so we can get real people who understand the problems of the tax payers up there and dont want to keep my kids in debt for the rest of their lives. This just makes me sick!

September 15, 2010 at 3:04 p.m.
  • Pat_Murf,

Your tongue-in-cheek response is acknowledged. If you support achieving one of the highest debt per population rates in the state, one of the highest crime rate incident increases in the state and one of the highest city tax rates in the state (looking at comparable sized cities, 50,000 to 100,000 population), that is your right and more power to you.

If you also are in support of all of these indicators rising at a rate of 5 to 20 times that of our population growth, that also is your right. I oppose the spending of millions of dollars on non-essential projects while funding for essential services, such as fire and police, get reduced or not considered (like a burn building for training). If you want more parks (like Lone Tree that will cost $1,000,000 now and $50,000 to $100,000 every year for ever) that also is your right. I know there are ways to reduce expenditures which will lessen the tax burden on people and businesses and at the same time pay for all of the projects you mentioned as other cities are accomplishing this. Maybe your income has increased at a level that exceeds the increases in taxes we have already and will experience in the future. Many people's has not and will not in the upcoming years. I completely support paying a fair share but at some point you have to make the decision to live within your means and that includes cities as well as individuals.

September 15, 2010 at 2:17 p.m.
  • I agree with Jeff Williams.

The massive amount of debt money to fix Laurent and Sam Houston was a waste. I would have gladly kept driving slower on those roads until they were reduced to gravel if I have to. We also don't need the huge new sewer plant. I think we should all be allowed to install our own septic systems in the city, my backyard is huge, I have plenty of room. Kick all the bums out at the next election.

September 15, 2010 at 1:42 p.m.

September 15, 2010 at 1:29 p.m.
  • We can only have an honest discussion about taxes when we start talking in terms of absolute dollars spent, NOT tax rates.

Case in point:
    www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/para...

September 15, 2010 at 1:23 p.m.
  • Friends, get ready to pay more and more of your hard earned dollars every year to support the spending 4 of the council member fight so hard to continue. In just the next 6 years the projections show the amount we pay for debt will grow by another 25% over what it is today. By 2018 that amount will be twice what is was when several of the current council members took office. The 4 who voted in support of this are leaving us all a legacy of a larger and larger tax burden.

Mr. Hagan, Mr. Soliz and Mr. Truman we thank you for standing against this tax increase.

September 15, 2010 at 12:49 p.m.
  • This is a complete outrage! Mr. TxHunter, you said it! Do people understand that if theyre going to raise the tax rate, everyone will get an increase! Mr. Polasek, I hope you understand that my hard earned money is not your savings account, its my hard earned money! These politicians need to go. We need to get some hard working people here that dont want to spend all the time.

September 15, 2010 at 11:13 a.m.
  • Polasek, if 51% aren't getting increased, and 16% are getting increases, then what happens to the other 33%? Just asking big guy.

September 15, 2010 at 10:28 a.m.
  • During the recession, we are all looking for ways to cut expenses. I don't understand why the city council don't do the same with our tax money. Some of us don't have another $5 to pay for the increase. CUT TAXES and DECREASE EXPENDING!!

September 15, 2010 at 10:24 a.m.
  • Politicians = double speak. They start with a dollar figure and then talk about keeping the tax rate the same or close to where it is, but they know they have the appraisal knob to turn to generate the dollars they wish to spend.

September 15, 2010 at 8:59 a.m.
  • Hagan should run for Mayor......Need to get rid of Halepeska cause he ain't nothin but a good old boy......we got rid of Mr. Moo Moo, now it's time to rid of Halepeska....please some one run against him next time and let's get rid of these spenders, keep the City the way it is , they say we need more money for our needs, bull....for their needs, and by the way...who wants our downtown to look like Paducah....I want it to look like Victoria, be proud of the City and take care of what you got and stop wanting to be a Wannabe City.

September 15, 2010 at 7:09 a.m.