Comments

• Well H3ll, g4further, whats wrong with my idea? That the money can't be spent that way? Well excuse me, Ms. Bise herself is supposedly going to use "part" of last years budget to put on the "Boot Fest".

So I guess, since she IS ALREADY DOING IT, that you can in fact use the funds for a festival.

September 19, 2010 at 8:56 p.m.
  • Ms. Edith,

I am sorry if I did not understand something about where the 750,000 dollars come from. I don't understand the intolerance. I do not appreciate being called dumb. I thought I could contribute my opinion here but I guess not.

September 19, 2010 at 7:55 p.m.

September 19, 2010 at 7:36 p.m.
  • Mr. G4Further, if the person in charge of the advertising campagin for Victoria does not know the attractions for Victoria well enough to put them on the map that is going out to promote the city, why are we paying her? If have to leave it up to people posting these types of questions to inform her of our city's attractions, because she doesn't know about them, then we have a big problem.

September 19, 2010 at 7:32 p.m.

September 19, 2010 at 7:18 p.m.
  • I just LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! this forum. As long as everyone is in agreement with a few certain individuals, we're all good. But just let someone, anyone have a differing opinion, and suddenly certain folks get all righteous.

Now, you call my comments criticism; perhaps, but in the grand tradition of Kenneth Schustereit, can you disprove anything I have said?

As to your question, you said, "I have to ask, regarding your comment below. Why not?

I had said, "All the slick ads in Texas Monthly and all the big bill boards on the highways are not going to make struggling tourist destinations look any better, or expand, or start up."

Did you miss this part of my comment: "Why are we going to give Bridgette Bise another $750,000.00 for her awareness projects, when we could scale her back significantly, and fund those things that do draw folks to Victoria, thus enhancing our tourism?"

Your question was answered before you asked it.

September 19, 2010 at 7:13 p.m.
  • This is outrageous. Another 750,000 in debt.

September 19, 2010 at 7:07 p.m.
  • Edith,

So you don't like the map, Have you talked to Bridget? When was the map printed? Did she have it printed or the person before her? Did you talk with Mrs Bise and ask her these questions. Better yet call her and go over the great points you made so she can make improvements, maybe your suggestions will be helpful. How much do you think the map cost? I would be willing to bet it wasn't much of the 750k. That leaves a lot you haven't really commented on. Did you answer my question? Really? But of course you don't have to.

Here is some more stuff you can criticize.

September 19, 2010 at 6:53 p.m.
  • Exactly.

And there is nothing in the Victoria Mall (this is where I ought to end the sentence) that the malls in Houston, Corpus, San
    Antonio and Austin don't have.

September 19, 2010 at 6:37 p.m.
  • Charge stores for ad space on the brochure & they coulde create their own revenue. I don't care to drive 2 hrs & spend the $$ required for meals, hotels, gas, etc to shop at HEB, Target or Walmart...I can do that in my own town.

September 19, 2010 at 6:33 p.m.
  • g4further--

Legion got the sarcasm directed at his remark. I'm sorry you didn't.

And, yes, if you think we need to keep throwing money at the Boots campaign WITHOUT trying to bolster what we do have and WITHOUT trying to attract for tourism type stuff, you are part of the problem.

Of course that is my opinion. Why would I post someone else's? Are the opinions you post not yours?

As to ducking your question as to why I don't think financing the ad campaign at the current rate is acceptable, I believe I have more than adequately answered that.

Have you actually seen the 'Points of Interest' map put out by the CVB? Really looked at it? Under 'shopping', Bise listed: H-E-B, H-E-B Plus, Target, Victoria Mall and Walmart. That's it--five stores. Under 'services' Bise has listed: CVB & CofC, Bus station, Public Library, Victoria City Hall, and Victoria Transit. Shall I continue?

The entire back of the map is blank. Would have been a wonderful place for folks like Days Gone By, Lauren Bade, From the Heart, and restaurants to advertise. There are no eating establishments on the points of interest map. Think folks don't drop a wad when they eat out in Victoria? They do, and our visitors need to eat.

The rest of the map is of about the same.

September 19, 2010 at 6:27 p.m.
  • Edith,

I am fine if you think I am "part of the problem" it's your opinion. I watch all the council meetings, I have even attended a few and I think the restrictions on spending the money are pretty tight, but i'm no expert. So the idea of the bands and stuff probably wont work. If I recall all the advertisng being paid for is to advertise any and all venues and attractions the city has to offer. All this advertising is put together in a "cohesive manner" as one council member explained to me. Oh well we will just diagree. You did a good job of avoiding my question.

September 19, 2010 at 6:02 p.m.
  • LOL, EA, yeah, it is silly...Which bands would agree to come play in Victoria for say.... $40,000? (I am intentionally over exaggerating the cost).

Geez, the city could hire ten bands @ $40K =$400k, and still have $350K left over.

But NOOOO, we can't do that, people might get upset with all the people that come to see the bands, it is better to spend all the money on some lame brained bring your boots visit, errr, the Zoo, Target, the Mall and of course Riverside Park... where nothing is going on!

September 19, 2010 at 4:59 p.m.
  • Then you, g4further, will continue to be part of the problem.

Bridgette Bise is 57.

Excellent suggestion Legion, but of course it makes too much sense, and it would not be of any benefit to Jet Marketing. That Tennessee advertising agency is making a fortune off of the Boots project.

roberttx, you know the money we are talking about has to be used for tourism. You must be thinking about the Sales Tax Development Corporation 1/2 cent sales tax, approved by voters to fund infrastructure improvements for Victoria. Instead, it was used to purchase the Lone Tree Industrial Park some years ago in anticipation of Dale Fowler striking a deal with Caterpillar. Which he did. Thank you, Jesus!

September 19, 2010 at 4:36 p.m.
  • Heck for a lot less than $750K, the VCB could shift some funds to the Parks Dept. to fix up a portion of Riverside Park, pay some known name bands to play at a outdoor concert in the park, let local vendors supply food and beverages like they do anyway, and that one thing would put a lot more "heads in the beds" at local hotels and motels than advertising for tourists "bring their boots".

The Hotel/Motel tax would increase plus the local sales tax collected, all for a lot less than $750K. And once the word got out, you do know that music lovers rely on word of mouth to learn about good events, they don't read Texas Monthly Magazine.

September 19, 2010 at 4:08 p.m.
  • Mrs. EdithAnn, looks like you have your answer, Mr. G4Further is a "yes" man

September 19, 2010 at 4:01 p.m.
  • Oops unusual, I'm bad.

September 19, 2010 at 3:56 p.m.
  • Edith, yes.

September 19, 2010 at 3:55 p.m.
  • What a long way Bridgette Bise has come, from working as the Easter Bunny at age 15 an 16 at a mall in OK. to commanding a $750k a year budget in Victoria.

Wonder why Bridgette Bise didn't want to reveal her age in the "My first job" thing in the VicAd?

Nothing wrong with that, women don't like to tell their age, but it was unusually for that little VicAd feature.

September 19, 2010 at 3:55 p.m.
  • g4further, let me just ask for fun--you're okay with the current arrangement?

September 19, 2010 at 3:39 p.m.
  • use the money to expand the lone tree business park, enticing companies supporting the new CAT plant to locate in victoria and not a surrounding county.

or

use that money to recruit new industry to move to this area.

tourism does not bring well paying jobs for the locals.

September 19, 2010 at 2:23 p.m.
  • @ Athome
    "Distribute that money to the organizations that really bring people here."

For instance?

September 19, 2010 at 1:54 p.m.
  • I'll tell you why not, Mr. G4Further, because we are not getting a good return for the investment. Distribute that money to the organizations that really bring people here. If we advertise that were a great place to visit, and there is nothing here to do, except for watching all the road construction, people are not going to come back

September 19, 2010 at 1:32 p.m.
  • Edith Ann,

I have to ask, regarding your comment below. Why not?

"All the slick ads in Texas Monthly and all the big bill boards on the highways are not going to make struggling tourist destinations look any better, or expand, or start up"

September 19, 2010 at 12:02 p.m.
  • Athome--I'm not going to argue with you about the rate at which money is being spent in this town--it's embarrassing!

The point is how the hotel tax can be spent. If we had $1,928,475,639,383,726.17 in the fund, it still could only be spent on certain things. That is how that particular tax is structured.

September 18, 2010 at 10:32 p.m.
  • Mr. GHodges, I have not seen anything they have done. I still don't understand why they are getting so much money. Have they done anything to earn it?

Mrs. EdithAnn, I have read the article and understand that the money does not come from our pockets. My problem is that these people up there think they can just throw other peoples money around.

I've been watching these meetings online and see how these guys just spend, spend, spend like there is no tomorrow.

There is a verse in the Bible that talks about becoming a man and putting away childish things.

Maybe it's time for those big wigs up there to grow up and stop trying to buy new toys with other peoples money.

September 18, 2010 at 10:13 p.m.
  • murf, im only interested how taxes work in your village back home.

which state are you from ?

September 18, 2010 at 10:08 p.m.

September 18, 2010 at 9:04 p.m.
  • Mr Roberttx, I am not sure hostility why towards me. I am only interested in adding to the discussion. It seems to me that the village council is running up a deficit that my children will have to pay back. I am just trying to voice my opinion.

September 18, 2010 at 8:37 p.m.
  • Well, if you could comment, then please do.....

September 18, 2010 at 8:29 p.m.
  • i'm not familiar with lately, so i could comment on what the cvb has done for them.

September 18, 2010 at 6:27 p.m.
  • Let me ask a question to all the readers? What has convention and visitors bureau done for lately ?

September 18, 2010 at 5:52 p.m.
  • Do you folks ever read the articles BEFORE you post a comment on them? How this works was explained in the article.

The money for the non-profits is coming from the hotel/motel tax. It will not bankrupt the city. This tax money can only be spent for certain things.

BUT--the City could be more reasonably generous to those non-profits that do contribute to the city by not giving Bridgette Bise THREE QUARTERS OF A MILLION dollars again!

September 18, 2010 at 5:30 p.m.
  • mr murf, when an elephant runs loose through your village in togo, who pays to repair the damage ?

September 18, 2010 at 4:05 p.m.
  • Mr Carpenter - -

This is serious. These non profits will banckrupt the city. How will the citizens be able to continue to function under the enourmas debt being piled on us by the village council?

September 18, 2010 at 3:17 p.m.
  • Is there any way we can get music to go with this comedy blog?..You folks are all crazy...LOL

September 18, 2010 at 2:52 p.m.
  • Mr. Murf, this is the last comment I will make to you. You need to get a life. Like I said before, Mr. Williams had you pegged from the start. Your sarcastic remarks are noted, and not needed. This place is for serious discussion only.

Now, stop speaking to me.

September 17, 2010 at 8:36 a.m.
  • Mrs Athomecoe,

My apologies please, I do not understand your ill will toward me. I not am crazy. My solution is the same as Mr williams and others, no more debt ever! We could easily cut 40 or 50 million out of this budget to pay off debt. Would you agrree to meet me for coffie so we could discuss? I will also visit Mr wiliams at his business soon to share ideas. I help just want to.

September 16, 2010 at 11:22 p.m.
  • Who needs indoor plumbing when you have a privacy fence?

September 16, 2010 at 10:20 p.m.
  • Mr. Gshep, I like what you have to say. You seem like someone with a good head around what the problems are with this city. I you do run for office. You sound like a good leader for us.

Mr. Murf, you just sound crazy. Do you head yourself? I think you need to get some help for your issues. You should leave this discussion for peole with real solutions to out real problems.

In the kind of crisis our city faces, we need people that are transparent and have real solutions.

September 16, 2010 at 10:11 p.m.
  • Mr robert,

my apologies, I am not familar with the laws you speak of. I do know how to fix things. Please forgive my poor speeling of english.

September 16, 2010 at 9:45 p.m.
  • is a fixcal conservative a conservative that only stays fixed in one place ?

or a conservative that goes around fixing things ?

September 16, 2010 at 9:40 p.m.
  • yes, victoria should model the new sewage system after an african sewage system

dont mind federal and state laws about dumping sewage into water ways, to hell with them !!! that's how they do it in africa !

September 16, 2010 at 9:39 p.m.
  • The sewer plant really bothers me. In Sokode Togo in Africa each block of houses have their own septic. Alll the septics were hooked together. A 20,000,000 sewer plant wasn't needed. The run-of fluid accumulated in the lower end of town and was put back in the river. It worked well and cost was small.

September 16, 2010 at 9:30 p.m.
  • athome,

I am fixcal conservative, I dont know what you mean by the Jeff Williams comment. I agree with mr Williams. I would support him for village council. We should have no debt. Look at the following project list....
    Sewage plant $20,000,000
    Sam Houston, 20,000,000
    Laurent 20,000,000
    Downtown Sidewalks, 4,000,000
    Downtown utilities, 150,000,000

This is to much debt! None of these projects are needed! The village council should have saved money and paid cash for these items.

September 16, 2010 at 9:22 p.m.
  • Good question Pat_Murf. First thing the city needs to do it be more transparent. These closed door meetings must stop. The people have a right to know what is being do with there tax dollars. With the economy in peril we must stop spending money that we just don't have. If you had no job would you go out and buy and brand new house and car? Your right, NO you would not. And neither should the city. As of last Thursday we are now on the second cycle of a double dip recession. We need to tighten out belt strap and stop the wasteful spending. What message are we sending the people, especially the record number of unemployed. By spending there hard earned money on an existing side walk or existing lights or ... the list goes on and on. So lets stop the pork spending and start giving the people there freedom back.

September 16, 2010 at 9:18 p.m.
  • Mr. Murf, no, I do not know who GSHEP is, but whatever office he runs for, I'm sure he would be good. Mr. Williams already picked you out for what you really are. Please dont talk to me again.

September 16, 2010 at 9:09 p.m.
  • Thanks for the link Kyle...I looked at it & it rings no bells with me...I'll have to stop by next time I'm in town.

September 16, 2010 at 9:08 p.m.
  • Cities and nonprofits need to get creative in leveraging limited resources. Cities would have to pay more for public safety and other services without the support nonprofits that provide for the most vulnerable.

September 16, 2010 at 9:07 p.m.
  • gshep, how do you feel about the massive debt burden the town council has incurred?

September 16, 2010 at 9:06 p.m.
  • Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

September 16, 2010 at 9:04 p.m.
  • Just because we can does not mean we should. Non-profits need to stand on there own feet. I have run several non-profit originations with out the help of the publics money. If it was up to me we would put these on the ballot as well. Wouldn't it be great if the people could diced where there tax money went. What a novel idea.

September 16, 2010 at 9:02 p.m.
  • The Victoria Convention & Visitor's Bureau's office is located at:
    3404 North Ben Wilson Street
    Victoria, TX 77901

September 16, 2010 at 8:52 p.m.
  • At home CEO,

Do you know who GSHEP is? I hope he runs against Polasek.

September 16, 2010 at 8:51 p.m.
  • I agree, just because the town council set a tax rate below the effective rate they trick us. The effective rate = the rate that would bring in the same amount of money as last year. Yet they set a rate lower and trick us.

September 16, 2010 at 8:46 p.m.
  • Mrs. EdithAnn,

Yes, Mr. Polasek used our tax money to build a glorified public shower!

Why are we giving money to these places when they dont do anything? Theyre arresting people for not mowing their lawns, but theyre giving all our money to place whos job it is to keep our city clean?

September 16, 2010 at 8:43 p.m.
  • Where is the Visitors Bureau? When I go out of town I usually see some kind of bldg for tourists to pop into to get brochures or whatever the town has to offer....I have never seen such a place in Victoria. Why does she need another 750K...I thought the expensive part of her branding campaign was done & all over but the ads?

September 16, 2010 at 8:34 p.m.
  • Are we going to give the Convention and Visitors Bureau $750,000.00 every year?

There is not enough evidence to support that kind of funding.

Why not knock her back to a much more reasonable $250,000.00 and dump a bunch of funding on Keep Victoria Beautiful, and let them be responsible for the mowing around town?

I'd really like to know what Bise used to put our City Council under her spell. And I'd like to know her salary.

And it is not clear--did Polasek get his water park?

September 16, 2010 at 8:27 p.m.
  • 750k seems pretty steep for the convention and visitors bureau, in fact it sounds like someone is getting ripped off

September 16, 2010 at 8:10 p.m.
  • Sure, Mr. Legion, it makes perfect sense. Mr. Polasek wants to have his cake and eat it too. And he wants to eat your cake, my cake, my neighbor's cake, and everyone elses cake.

September 16, 2010 at 8:07 p.m.
  • Wait a minute, Polasek is talking about a fund balance, a savings account. Sooo instead of dipping into the savings account for a measly $136K, they should raise taxes AND spend another matching grant of $500K to build the splash pad and restrooms, plus another $50k a year to maintain the new facilities?

Does any of that make sense?

September 16, 2010 at 7:11 p.m.
  • Mayor Pro Tem Paul Polasek said Ocker had a good point, but the city was getting a $500,000 state grant to help pay for the splash pad. The facility would also include a parking lot and restrooms that could be used by the hike-and-bike trail and splash pad users.

Polasek said if the city rejects the grant now, that might be money it will not get again.

Mayor Will Armstrong said the recommendations have come from a professional team working for the city.

"They have recommended this budget," he said. "I have confidence in their ability and the work they've done to bring it to us."
    So the city manager can't do his/her job without paid professional help?

Hagan's plan would have used $136,000 from the reserve fund to keep the lower tax rate. City Manager Charles Windwehen said that's money that can be used for capital improvements, which will be discussed next month.
    Mayor Pro Tem Paul Polasek said spending fund balance money for operations is a bad idea. He said that's a non-recurring income that will be spent on recurring expenses.

The convention and visitors bureau is slated to get $750,000

Does anyone see something just a little wrong with all this budget discussion?

September 16, 2010 at 7:03 p.m.
  • Brilliant! Spend $750K on marketing, but don't leave anything to support the very entities that you are marketing. Makes about as much sense as everything else the council does.

September 16, 2010 at 5:51 p.m.
  • While I wholeheartedly support the importance of the Convention and Visitors Bureau, there is no way Victoria could be considered a "destination city" for tourism without the many benefits provided by the nonprofits seeking some of those same dollars. I don't know how many people are going to "Bring their boots to Victoria" if there is nothing to see.

September 16, 2010 at 5:21 p.m.