Comments

• Last time I checked, kids ARE allowed to say the pledge of allegiance and pray quietly by themselves without needing any permission slip - and rightly so. They should not have needed permission slips to hear our president speak either. His message that day had nothing to do with any political agenda. Whether or not you like Obama's politics, I think we can all agree on one things: education is important. That's why Gov. Perry is allowed to visit schools and why President Bush was reading to a kindergarten class when the 9-11 attacks happened. President Obama deserves the same respect.

September 20, 2010 at 5:33 p.m.
  • Although this may be a passing discussion and good people can disagree, it does make for fun to read the comments.

However, it is good to see many people have an opinion on this. Perhaps school choice is not a bad idea afterall!

September 20, 2010 at 10:38 a.m.
  • How enlightened...

September 20, 2010 at 6:52 a.m.
  • I will not allow my son to hear his filth

September 20, 2010 at 6:24 a.m.
  • Will every one ever agree on the approach to this one? From my advantage point, I think the ponderance is a 'moot exercise' needing not any more dialogue than that noted. When (in our life time) will this question ever be relevant again???? I do concur that, as Americans, we have moved to a lighter shade of 'gray' rather than standing on solid principles anymore. It is easier to deny biases than to admit to having them.

September 18, 2010 at 6:47 p.m.
  • I like that! An exemption form instead of a permission slip. Then, the school doesn't look hyper-political... the parents do.

September 18, 2010 at 4:21 p.m.
  • I could not agree more with everyone here and with Victoria Advocate too. Our country is about freedom, not double standards.

Just because you don't like Barack Obama does not mean you should not respect the freely elected leader of our country.

I don't like Barack Obama, but I teach my children to respect him.

September 18, 2010 at 4:13 p.m.
  • HEY Sweetara:
    What part of this speech that you didn't listen to sound like "a political speech?"

September 17, 2010 at 9:52 p.m.
  • Sweetara...Kids don't need a permission slip to pray in school. As long as there is algebra, there WILL be prayer in school -- at least in algebra classes.

September 17, 2010 at 9:34 p.m.
  • If the students can listen to a political speech in school with a permission slip, I believe they should be able to pray or say the "pledge of allegiance" with a permission slip. It is the parents choice, right? Or are we worried about offending someone?

September 17, 2010 at 9:26 p.m.
  • VISD politicized a non-political event.

I think every teacher and administrator needs to declare their political affiliation.

Why? When the Democratic teacher wants to provide instruction to the republican student, the student will be free to respond, "I don't agree with your politics, therefore I won't be listening to you." Likewise, when the republican administrator is attempting to discipline the Democratic student, that student will have the opportunity to decline participation based on a difference in political philosophies. Right?

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Of course it does. Just like requiring parental permission to listen to the leader of our country does.

September 17, 2010 at 8:22 p.m.
  • He's our President and children should learn something about respecting the office at school since their sore losers’ parents are not capable of teaching this virtue at home.

You bet there's a double standard here.

September 17, 2010 at 7:44 p.m.