Comments

October 2, 2010 at 3:28 a.m.
  • sounds to me like a "bit" leakey, is a "bit" of an understatement....
    and, if phil doesn't know them personally, or personally show them around, how can you reasonably consider them his "personal" guest.

...not charging anyone, ANYMORE, all of the sudden, doesn't mean there still isn't something to gain from a "buisiness" standpoint.

the building needs to be up to code. period.

October 1, 2010 at 9:16 a.m.
  • The hospital is NOT in that bad of shape! I think they were using standards that are for businesses. Now that he is not in business, it's ridiculous that Phil Ross cannot have any guests on his own private property just because the roof is a bit leaky in a few places. Its structurally sound, and I highly doubt anyone would be in any danger. There is no electricity running. It's mainly used for storage. Why can't Phil allow personal guests in?

September 29, 2010 at 10:15 p.m.
  • I can understand some of both sides of this issue. We live in a litigious society and there are surely concerns about a lawsuit however there are easy enough ways around that. Look at Eastern State Penetentiary and it's condition as well as many others and they still allow teams in. So long as they have a waiver and all members sign it then they should be good to go. Following their logic we would never be able to skydive, climb mountains, skate board or any other sport that has more inherent danger than investigating and old building. We are not children and we can take care of ourselves in this situation so this sounds like either the real reason is not being revealed or it is an excuse. Seems like politics as usual to me. Too bad!

For those who wish to come here and get a cheap thrill by calling ghost hunters names I would ask what kind of satisfaction does that give you? I was actually in the court of being a staunch skeptic. I still am on many levels until I experienced if first hand. I hope you NEVER have to endure it so give those who run in as others run out a break! Because you have not experienced it does not make it unreal. Just not experienced by you and you should hope you never do! You should hope you never have to fear the night and wonder what next will wake you. So please think before poking fun at others. Just because you have not experienced this does not mean that you never will and you will be thankful to people who do this work for no thanks and no money!

If you have an interest in learning more about the paranormal please contact us at www.unitedparanormalinternational.nin...

I am the founder so just sign up and we will welcome you and any questions you might have.

September 29, 2010 at 10:11 p.m.
  • I agree with some points on both sides. I have been on a tour of the hospital with a group of friends from work. Mike was very knowledgeable about the hospital and it's history. We had a great time and did catch some unexplainable images on film and voice recorders. I do think the place needs some work. But, to say that all the restroom facilities have to be up to par and usable is a joke. I agree that there needs to be at least one work restroom. Fire safety code standards need to be addressed but to have to have a PA system is laughable. Smoke detectors, yes. sprinkler system, possibly. I feel, like others, that this whole situation has been poorly handled by the city and that they should have given them time to respond or come up to code. Mike and Phil if you plan a time for volunteers to come help with some of the clean up please make an announcement about it.

September 29, 2010 at 2:21 p.m.
  • As soon as that ghost hits me in the head with a brick, I'll start believing in them.

Ok, you guys aren't kooks. You just have an unusual hobby and are upset that the city has taken away your place to play. Understood. Raise some money. Fix the place up. Have it inspected again. Resume your activities. Simple enough.

But to even dream up that paranormal stuff is on the same level as cancer research? And you wonder where the labels come from? Geez..

September 29, 2010 at 6:53 a.m.
  • the "issue" is that the city is actually trying to clean up and everyone is giving them grief for it!!! ridiculous!!!!

September 28, 2010 at 4:03 p.m.
  • Thats odd, I was told by the district manager that they had been attempting to get help for months from the owner of the building due to leakage in the stock room area of the store and that when the last storm came through that they had inventory damaged. I was told the store was closed so that their insurance company could get an estimate to the damages and for the safety of their workers. She didn't mention anything about Marcus Puente in the conversation. But of course, you must be in the 'know' around here to have that information. Irregardless, the issue for me is that there is so many better and more important things for them to work on, period.

September 28, 2010 at 3:59 p.m.
  • Mr. Billings,
    Just so you know, there has been a lot of talk in the "paranormal community" about donating funds and time to fix it up. However, fixing it up does take away from the authenticity of it, in my opinion.

September 28, 2010 at 3:33 p.m.
  • ...after the city contacted dollar gen. corporate. yes, they shut it down themselves, just like ross should have done.

September 28, 2010 at 3:20 p.m.
  • Okay VicAd...how about some follow up reporting here? Was this issue addressed at city council? Some of us couldn't attend the meeting and I would like to know. And for the record, the city didn't shut down the Dollar General. The rains from recent tropical weather caused the roof to collapse....they closed it themselves.

September 28, 2010 at 3:13 p.m.
  • i hope most of you can stick to the facts. the owner of the property has had it for 2 years and it is not up to code. i think that the paranormal people and the city shouldn't be allowing people inside a building that is not up to code, period. there is no 'negotiating' the building is either up to code or it is not. if it is not than it should not be open to the public. i hear people saying what a beautiful building it is but have seen some of the pictures and it does not look very clean or beautiful to me. if the paranormal people feel it is such a great place than instead of trying to 'negotiate' with the city why don't you pull together your paranormal community and get it fixed up. i hear a lot of talking by these paranormal groups but don't see any action. after so much attention about this the city did what they had to do because people are not supposed to be in a bulding that is not up to code. also other cities will see this and see that the paranormal groups want to fight the cities over this instead of working with them, insulting the city is not going to help your cause. so instead of calling this the great injustice, turn this into a positive and make moves to help out. if this is such a great place than the people who go there should work together to get the building up to code. i don't live in this city but have visited it, it is a beautiful place with hard working people.

mr billings

September 28, 2010 at 2:46 p.m.
  • ...and you are correct, you have every right to be upset. however that doesn't mean you are IN the right. they didn't give dollar general any warning. they aren't goning to make any concessions for them... no city allows time to meet code violations, they shut you down until code is met, that's what has happened here. either way, it's done. so like i said befor, get it up to code and move on.

September 28, 2010 at 1:49 p.m.
  • as far as the hobby comment, i was quoting mr ross. didn't really mean to step on your pride.

September 28, 2010 at 1:40 p.m.
  • For some, paranormal investigation might be considered on a level as a hobby, but for others like our organization, this is very serious research study and we have a professional business organization filed with the actual court system. Would you call scientists that research cures in medicine or possibly as to other alternate energy studies, would you also call these other fields hobbies just because they may be surviving off of grant money instead of being an actual business as you say?? These are research fields (many out there) just like the one we are in, and what we do is definitely not even close to a hobby. Hobbies are like hunting and fishing. You can ask our clients over the years that consisted of a lot of very professional people acquiring our services for paranormal investigation. They take it very seriously. So, we in the paranormal community don't really appreciate categorizing what we do as to this research field as a hobby, because it is not. As to the hospital, we have a right to stand up to the city and voice all our concerns along with the owner Phil Ross as to what we all believe in, which is that the city did not grant fair ample warning here to him and did not ethically grant him available time to meet the code violations that were cited. The city in doing this fast action shut down five very good scheduled paranormal events that were scheduled for the month of October, one of those again was our friends with the show Ghostlab and of course ours. So, yes, we do have a personal right to be upset along with the owner Phil Ross. The city certainly was not thinking or considering that maybe a lot of us had put a lot of time, money, and planning into setting up those events over the months. And that a lot of people out there across Texas and other places were making their plans to travela nd attend those events. The city just went right out and closed the hospital down without allowing any type of a compromise. This negative non-compromising process here that took place in the city's actions is what the owner really is addressing with the city's actions when we use the word negotiation.

September 28, 2010 at 12:38 p.m.
  • i'll say this, if you (as a paranormal community) want to help mr. ross get the building up to code, great. one more buisiness (sorry, hobby :-)) in town would be welcomed with open arms. but, if you are going to continue to allow other people into the structure, it has to meet code. people can't sue the city for falling in super s because the floor and the structure is up to code. anything beyond that is the liabilty of the proprty owner, just like it is the responsibility of a property owner that has a structure on it, to have that structure up to code. the city as a whole is trying to better it's self, new inspectors, stricter enforcment of existing laws, codes, and ordinances, the start of a humane society, ect... if there is so much intrest in shooting movies and tv shows there, get them to help you get the building up to code. maybe the Texas Film Commission can help if there really is that kind of intrest. that should be the only issue here. no personal feelings, no name calling, no more B.S. just get it up to code, keep it neat in appearance on the outside, and all will be good. there can be no negotiations, code violations. they are on paper as the law. what other rules are we going to want to bend next? i applaud the city for taking action and i'll applaud mr. ross for taking action in fixing the building up if he decides to do so.

September 28, 2010 at 12:03 p.m.
  • I am glad to see all the support for this topic. I hope that the city council meeting is packed tonight!

September 27, 2010 at 4:56 p.m.
  • This is an ravishing, historical, and glamorous building! I've heard many good things about it, and I also read that it was said to be the set of a movie, a while back. I later found out that I was correct. People come to this hospital for many reasons, mainly for Paranormal investigations. As the paranormal field continues to grow, people from ALL OVER will want to come to this place! Though, I myself have never seen it in person, I know for a fact it is an amazing building and people love it! This Hospital has so much history! There are so many things that we may still yet to learn in the future within this place! I am unsure if this place would be labeled as one or not, but this Hospital is a historical landmark. It has historical significance! This is true, especially to the state of Texas, and MOST especially to York Town, and it's closest surrounding districts that know of it‘s history and past. &Because, of all the things that were set for the future, I say again that people from all over will want to come to this place! &In turn Yorktown would get a lot of publicity as well as other benefits. There has to be a way to save this truly stupefying building! People have had so many experiences here, and not just in the paranormal sense! There are unforgettable memories that people have at this exquisite landmark! People were born here, died here, and healed here. Yorktown Memorial Hospital has served many purposes during it’s time of standing. It has impacted the people of York Town in many positive ways. Shutting the hospital down, would take away some of the significance that the town has to offer. It is so important to us as well as many others, and we do anything within our power to keep it that way! I thought through the situation quite deeply. The owners should have at least been given a warning to have the chance to fix this problem, before it became a huge problem. This, however is not the case, but it was sprung on them so quickly. Because of this, we must now take immediate action. From what I have been reading this whole situation seems unfair, and uncalled for. It has been a while and they are just now starting to find code violations? I mean, really? I as well as many before, and after me would like to take this into complete consideration. This needs to be thought about rationally and logically, instead of being rushed and, blundered.
    Thank you.

September 26, 2010 at 11:39 p.m.
  • This is an ravishing, historical, and glamorous building! I've heard many good things about it, and I also read that it was said to be the set of a movie, a while back. I later found out that I was correct. People come to this hospital for many reasons, mainly for Paranormal investigations. As the paranormal field continues to grow, people from ALL OVER will want to come to this place! Though, I myself have never seen it in person, I know for a fact it is an amazing building and people love it! This Hospital has so much history! There are so many things that we may still yet to learn in the future within this place! I am unsure if this place would be labeled as one or not, but this Hospital is a historical landmark. It has historical significance! This is true, especially to the state of Texas, and MOST especially to York Town, and it's closest surrounding districts that know of it‘s history and past. &Because, of all the things that were set for the future, I say again that people from all over will want to come to this place! &In turn Yorktown would get a lot of publicity as well as other benefits. There has to be a way to save this truly stupefying building! People have had so many experiences here, and not just in the paranormal sense! There are unforgettable memories that people have at this exquisite landmark! People were born here, died here, and healed here. Yorktown Memorial Hospital has served many purposes during it’s time of standing. It has impacted the people of York Town in many positive ways. Shutting the hospital down, would take away some of the significance that the town has to offer. It is so important to us as well as many others, and we do anything within our power to keep it that way! I thought through the situation quite deeply. The owners should have at least been given a warning to have the chance to fix this problem, before it became a huge problem. This, however is not the case, but it was sprung on them so quickly. Because of this, we must now take immediate action. From what I have been reading this whole situation seems unfair, and uncalled for. I the comments posted on http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/... have all made good points and arguments against this issue. I suggest you all read them and see other peoples views on the situation, before making your final decision. Thank You.

September 26, 2010 at 11:29 p.m.
  • I see that Yorktown's city leaders biggest defenders have become strangely silent after such vicious and dogged defense of their actions. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and people actually show up at the city council meeting about this. That actually does work. When there was talk of revamping and redoing the outdated animal ordinace and attempting to control livestock within the city limits it was a packed house. All of the sudden the ordinance talk went away. We will see.

September 26, 2010 at 8:38 p.m.
  • Good info rl,

For the defenders of the city of Yorktown s actions, a majority of you have claimed that the city had to close the hospital because the city would be sued if some one got hurt on the property. Does that mean that if I go into Super S to buy grocerys and slip and fall on something, that I can not only sue Super S but the city of Yorktown?

My oh my, I didn't know the city of Yorktown was liable a spill on the floor of any business in the town.

What a bonanza for any sue happy person, go to Yorktown, the city will pay if you slip and fall at a business because the city allowed it to stay open!

September 26, 2010 at 4:09 p.m.
  • Monday September 27th at 7pm is the Yorktown City Council meeting if you want to show support for Phil and the Yorktown Hospital please try to attend the meeting. If you cannot make the meeting you can call the City of Yorktown and leave a message for the city manager the number is 361-564-2611, if you believe that the hospital should be saved contact the city manager and let him know. There are over 250 friends of the Yorktown Hospital if you all would call or show up and support the hospital maybe we can have a positive solution in this situation.

September 26, 2010 at 1:24 p.m.
  • The good thing about the newspaper Victoria Advocate putting this article and all the personal comments out there for the world to see (people against the paranormal and hospital, and many people for the hospital and the paranormal idea), is that it shows the wrong doing of this whole thing. The city again did this for personal and unethical reasons, and I believe that to be money based. The city was seeing that this place was becoming very popular and starting to make money and the city wasn't getting any of that money directly. The owner Phil Ross was paying his taxes and people were spending a lot of money in town every time they came, so I still believe that is a very good alternate indirect way for a city to make money because money always flows through channels. The newspaper article showed the inadequacies and unethical being of the city in its very harsh legal actions. The city again without any notice just went out and did what they did all of a sudden, which again is very strange considering the actual mayor and police chief two years ago walked right through the hospital taking a complete tour during a paranormal nightly event there and loved the place and what everyone was doing. I and many others witnessed the smiles on their faces and the fact that something new had come to town, they loved it. I heard their comments which were very supportive of the hospital and the paranormal. There also were approximately at least 40 public people that night two years ago at that paranormal event. I did not see the city saying anything then about how unsafe the building was or that we should not be having public people in the building for the paranormal event or that everyone had to leave the building because they considered it unsafe. Hmmmmmm

September 26, 2010 at 12:16 p.m.
  • It doesn't matter how many of you comment or disagree with the cities actions. Things are never going to change here. Everything depends on who you are and what you own....

If you don't live here, they don't care, and even if you do, they probably won't care then either. So just let it go.

September 25, 2010 at 10:15 p.m.
  • hey once Yorktown runs everyone off and becomes a ghost town Us kooks will have even more places to visit. I still haven't heard an explanation as to why this place was ok for 2 years and then suddenly out of code. Some of the repairs I have heard have no relation to what this building is used for. But the city would prefer it sit empty or become an over grown lot after being torn down with no revenue at all. Us kooks don't need the electricity or the plumbing in perfect order. I would love to hear what the complaint was. Maybe some business owner who had crappy service and was ticked no one visited his place of business?

September 25, 2010 at 1:16 p.m.
  • In the last latest comments, I can see that there are people who believe that I as a professional ghost hunter are kooks. That seems to be the mentality. Well, you can believe what you want to because you have a right to that choice, but don't attack me and others who have seen things that are not explainable by any natural occurrences. I guess a ghost could appear right in front of you, hit you on the head with a brick, and you would still have your ignorant look at the paranormal. We are professionals in many other well respected fields. We do paranormal investigation for reasons as to what we have witnessed. I hate to tell you, but there is strong paranormal activity in the hospital whether you want to believe it or not, we have captured a lot of very good evidence there. What the city administrator did here was very unethical in how all of a sudden after two years of operation they suddenly without any negotiation with the owner as to meeting some of the code violations they are specifying, closed the hospital down completely. If you lived in a house with broken windows, or plumbing or electricity that was not working as well as you would like it to be, would you say then that the house was totally unsafe to live in.....I don't think so. What the city administrator did again here was very unethical and unprofessional in my opinion. He and the city did not even give the owner, Phil Ross, a chance to meet or negotiate what it was they were stating was wrong within the hospital. This place again was perfect for paranormal investigation and it was really about to bring some more money into the town as to exposure and other things. We always just like others stayed in the motel across the street when we investigated and we ate and bought food and other needed things in town. We were easily spending money in this town. I have seen many towns just simply disappear from the Texas map because they never took the time to let in outsiders or accept other possible negotiation ideas. If Yorktown keeps having this very pessimistic narrow-minded outlook as to what just occurred at the hospital, then the city will eventually become one of the forgotten ghost towns. If you think the oil business is going to keep you afloat, I have news for you there as well. Oil and natural gas have a way of getting depleted and I have heard of towns drying up from that as well. I have also heard of natural water systems being contaminated from all the drilling. This move by the city again was very unethical because they did not even want to negotiate with the owner.

September 25, 2010 at 12:57 p.m.
  • @bighorn, "kooks", do you even know anyone who is an active paranormal investigator? They include buisiness owners, stay at home moms, etc. I can honestly say that I don't know any "kooks" associated with it.

September 25, 2010 at 8:55 a.m.
  • You can rest assured that if the City had NOT closed this dump down, and one of the kooks with "nothing better to do" got hurt, a suit would be filed before the week was out. The City Manager is protecting the City's interest.

If the landowner wants to continue the "ghost hunting", he should bring the place up to safety standards and then all the little goblins would be happy.

Heck, if it's that important to you, open a booth at the Beerfest next month and raise some coin to help bring the place up to snuff.

September 25, 2010 at 5:30 a.m.
  • @smalltowngal2.... From reading your posts I deduce that you are somehow connected to Mr. Puente..girlfriend, friend, relative, whatever. I am correct when I state Mr. Puente has no experience as a city manager. He may have experience working in large cities where he was an assistant to a city manager, but not a city manager. And before you go off on me, understand that I think on the whole he has done a good job with what he has had to work with. I am not debating his intelligence or his education. But lets be honest here. Mr. Puente got the job because he is a hometown boy, just like how the city chose its engineering firm, and another local boy as chief of police.

This is Yorktown, not Bryan, not Austin. I would love for us to have animal control and decent police and good streets. I applaud his efforts to get public input on the budget and to actually attempt to things the legal way around here. But really, the hospital??? There wasn't ONE thing that was more important than killing ANOTHER business in town???

And who are you to judge what is respectable mam? You are sitting here insulting another persons belief system, and to be honest, so was Mr. Puente. I personally think that this ghost hunting is about like chucacabra hunting....a lot of fuss with nothing there. But just because I don't feel that it is something that is real doesn't make it less real to the people who DO believe. Personally, I don't care why people come here and spend money as long as it isn't hurting anyone OR breaking the law as long as money is spent. And if you believe that the oil field is going to keep us running forever, you are even younger than you sound on your posts.

Marfa makes a killing of its little lights and I don't see why that should be a bad thing here.

And as far as consulting attorneys, I am sure he did. At taxpayer expense, of course. And if you believe that how this city does its job and conducts is business is completely legal then your wrong, however, I am sure that what he did in this instance was legal and proper, I have no doubt of that. I haven't read anyone imply what he did was illegal. But whether or not it was right, I don't believe so.

I simply don't understand why the property owner wasn't given time to make repairs and clean up before this was done. Someone doing something with the building instead of it sitting there falling down is a good thing to me.

September 25, 2010 at 12:48 a.m.
  • First off the mayor isnt 27 years old, the city administrator is 28 years old with experience. He's worked for the City of Bryan, and the City of Austin....He has a masters in economics. He's very intelligent. He dosnt just make these decisions himself, i'm sure he consults with a city attorneys before hand. The owner of the hospital was told he was in violation and not to allow anyone in the hospital, well the owner didnt think he had to listen, so the city had to do what had to be done. Also, yorktown dosnt need the money your paranormal activity investigations will bring in....it gets plenty of bussiness from the oilfield industy. a much more respected occupation!!!

September 24, 2010 at 11:46 p.m.
  • This is such a joke. The wonderful "City of Yorktown" has been neglected and abandoned by its 'city leaders' for years. The prior city manager was horrible and he worked here for YEARS. The chief of police is incompetent and is protected by the city council. The current city administrator is very inexperienced and while well intentioned I think, has missed the mark on this. Yes, the building is an eyesore. And I don't think mowing the yard or putting a more professional sign (i.e. the spray painted sign) would detract too much from the atmosphere of the place. The exterior of the building is really really bad and it is one of the first things that people see when they come into town.

However, the actual importance of the hospital in relation to all the other things that need to be done to this town is ridiculous. There are drug dealers here, there are thieves and people who wander all over town at all hours of the night. We have ZERO animal control, can't keep police officers here, have brown tap water once a month, there is no drainage for our streets if you want to call what we drive on streets. I for one am tired of driving five miles per hour to avoid the massive pot holes.

The hospital by far is not the only eyesore in town and in my opinion certainly not the worst. There are many places in town that need to be cleaned up and worked on and if the administrator is going to do this then it needs to be applied evenly...but why the hospital and why now? I work late at night and I see cars at the hospital all the time. The place is making money. Why not just give them thirty days to clean the exterior and work with them on the code violations? Shutting down a business, any business in these hard times is just plain stupid.

Things will not change in this town until people are elected to the city council for the job that they will do and not who they are. When people realize that its not a popularity contest and that you actually need to put people in there who will do the best job. People who, while it may not get them reelected, make the right decisions for the city, not for themselves.

The hospital closing is a symptom of the disease here. And Mr. Rippamonti, we will have to agree to disagree on this. There are much better things and much better things for Mr. Puente to invest his time and energy into, like cleaning up the mess in the city's backyard first.

September 24, 2010 at 11:16 p.m.

September 24, 2010 at 10:07 p.m.
  • Let's address the issue - city says the building has multiple code violations. I'm sure the building does. There is no doubt there are violations......which is why it isn't used as an operational facility. First, you aren't going to turn that building into anything profitable other than what Phil turned it into. I really do applaud his business-minded genius.

Give me a break....the 27 yr old mayor has been the mayor of Yorktown for less than a year, granted he grew up there and I'm sure feels strongly about the hospital as well, but that's not enough experience to lead a city of any size. 1 yr as budget analyst in Austin, and now 11 months in Yorktown....

I admit, some amateur "ghost hunters" do make the whole thing seem hokey, however, it is all about scientific research. Even if they are just looking to get scared, they could bring about quantifiable evidence that helps the scientific community as a whole and not just in the paranormal world.

There are two sides to this story, and the pathetic thing is, Phil Ross' side doesn't get to be heard....its completely biased and B.S.

September 24, 2010 at 6:26 p.m.
  • it's a damn shame...especially since it was being looked at for a couple of television shows AND the set of an upcoming film. could have breathed some live into that little ghost town...
    neither the mayor or the chief of police said anything about any violations, when they attended our grand opening a few years ago.

September 24, 2010 at 4:57 p.m.
  • I guess the people of Yorktown don't have the time or desire to realize how popular paranormal investigation has become over the years and all the great paranormal evidence that is coming from everyone. I guess the people of Yorktown and the city government also don't realize that people do not like to investigate places that are fixed up and look like the Hilton Hotel. The City of Yorktown also does not realize that they just shut down the Ghostlab (paranormal television - 2nd popular season coming up) team event and Graveyard Shift Paranormal teams big scheduled events there next month. Hmmmm, wonder how much more flowing money and more great exposure that would have brought the city. The paranormal investigators would have come from all over the country to see this place as its popularity increased and these people are professionals who do make and spend money when they come. Someone in Yorktown really missed the boat on this thing. People also assume their own risk and liability as to investigating the hospital.

September 24, 2010 at 1:55 p.m.
  • @OLD

"The HUNTS bring money to the town." "SInce he is not raking n thousands of dollars a month..."

whitch is it?

"will the eyesore fix itself???????? "

no, it will either get fixed by the owner, or condemed.

"yes it might have materials we don't use today -...they are not harmful unless you start disturbing them."
    "There was nothing a person would be in danger of."

again, whitch is it? and, disturbing them?? you mean like walking around, kicking up dust ??? no, ok.

NO, i've never been there, nor do I wish to go.

"The building codes that are being broken should have been brought up over two years ago - Why now. If you look the other way for so long - then a few people gripe and complain - you move into action?"

well at least one of you admits there are code violations. as for your question, yes, if someone files a complaint, or makes any other accusation about anything, then there is usually some type of investigation. I wouldn't want city officials going around making random inspections without cause. if no one complaines, how would the city officials know if there were any violations.

that being said.. i would love to see it get up to code and see it succeed

September 24, 2010 at 9:23 a.m.
  • I just found out that they shut down the Yorktown Hospital.That is not right.I have been there many times and i don't see any danger there.Before i heard about the haunted hospital i never thought i would go to Yorktown.I mean come on people you all are a small town and this hospital has made your town popular.Your town has been in the paper, on websites,you all have had ghost hunters come to your town.And just cause one person complains you want to go and shut it down.I would like to know what terrable thing happend to this one person who complaind.This building has been around sence the 50's there is a lot of history there.Yeah the grass needs to be cut but maybe if Yorktown people would work together and lend a helping hand to mike hanson then maybe the hospital wouldn't be a what did you all say an eyesore.
    This place has a lot of good and bad history.And to have someone tell others about it is good i think.I never knew about the hospital and the history of it.And i don't just mean the history of the ghost being there.I mean the history of all the people who worked there and helped the people of Yorktown.And now you all want to shut it down.I think every one from Yorktown and from all over should all get together and lend a helping hand to Mike and fix it up to code so it can reopen.Let me know when and i will be there to help and i know others would to.

September 23, 2010 at 11:48 p.m.
  • ppp.... Have you been there? - he has fixed it up - Alot!!!

SInce he is not raking n thousands of dollars a month doesn't mean the place is getting. Yes the place has a funny sign in front - but it works. Alot of places in that town have goofy signs - Shut them down too?

ANd the eyesore comment.... Funny - it doesn't look that bad. It looked that way for 10 years and no one said anything till now. ha ha ha - if it was that bad - why was it not addressed then???

I say the place should have been closed since the get go - but if it has been running for so long and now gets closed - something is up. Leave it running - it is not hurting anyone period. And if it does stay shut down - will the eyesore fix itself???????? well will it?

September 23, 2010 at 10:48 p.m.
  • The HUNTS bring money to the town. Gas, Food, Lodging to a place where NO ONE goes except for a party once a year. People get drunk than drive home - cops look the other way. Yeah that is a good thing. Even Shiner got smart and stopped the Shinerbock thing years ago - Yorktown (not too smart)

THe hunts bring money to a town that has NONE. Businesses make money from the people that go to them - esp. around October - But it seems the ppl of Yorktown are not to bright. There are many places thru out America like this and some support it since it makes a dead to dying town alive. People come from hundreds of miles to go to these things - why are you killing it now after two plus years?

Something is not right - Yorktown and its people need to review this and really look at the benefits to the town and its people. Sounds like they are closing everything - not knowing one day everything will be shut down and they too will be out of a job.

This place is better off being what it is now that a storage place for people's junk. To fix it they will need money - shutting it down kills that. Might as well bull doze it down and make a Dollar General (oops - they shut that down to)

The place was built long ago - yes it might have materials we don't use today - they are not harmful unless you start disturbing them. Maybe in 25 years the stuff we have today will be harmful too - Reason people - reason.

September 23, 2010 at 10:35 p.m.
  • @smalltowngal2
    "And your ghost ppl wouldnt understand cause apparently you only care about yourself"
    Would you please elaborate on this statement? How does this establishment have the possibility of hurting anyone besides the paranormal investigators who frequent the place?

September 23, 2010 at 3:19 p.m.
  • "If it is strictly a code issue then fine, shut it down. However, how other people feel about a building should have nothing to do with shutting it down, and if that was a factor (as implied by his statement), then there's a problem. I think he goofed saying that, and I think it's going to come back to bite him."

You may be right about him goofing up by saying that and we'll see if it comes back to bite him or not but the fact remains... I know most of the city officials in Yorktown (everybody does, it's a small town) they will tell you, there are code violations everywhere, bad ones. You are correct, people's feeling shouldn't play into it all, and i don't really think that's at the heart of the issue.

September 23, 2010 at 1:58 p.m.
  • ppp,

What Puente's message says is that if the people of Yorktown don't like you, they'll shut you down. If it was strictly a building code violation he would have no need to even mention that some people were offended that it was being used 'for amusement'.

September 23, 2010 at 1:32 p.m.
  • ok Dan, you got me. ha ha ha. Not really. no, I'm just someone who actually lives in yorktown and hates to see such a nice place get such a bad rap over a dilapidated, run down, eyesore. I know a lot of people in Yorktown feel the same way cause I've actually talked to them. The spray-painted sign out front is a joke to most people in town and even more of an eyesore than the building to the rest. If it is such a great money maker then how come he can't afford to fix it up?? Why haven't i see more people there?? So like i said befor, there is no hidden agenda, no conspiracy, nothing but a small town doing the best it can for it's citizens.

John Rippamonti
    Pure Power Performance
    (hence the PPP)

September 23, 2010 at 1:31 p.m.
  • This comment is directed at the profile ppp. You sure sound a lot like Puente to me as to all your negative comments on here. You also sure have a lot to say as to putting Phil and the hospital down. I also know that Phil is one heck of an attorney and if I know Phil, this is not the end of this legal battle. If this is you Puente making all of these comments as to hidden agenda, then why don't you just come out and post your true name for all the world to see on here. I have posted mine on here. I'm not afraid to hide behind a profile.

September 23, 2010 at 12:46 p.m.
  • Notice the "AND" in front of that statment, as if there was something he was adding to. So you can't really say "that sums it up" when it is clearly an addition to a statment. A statement like, I don't know, "the findings of the inspection resulted in significant violations of the city's building, electrical and plumbing codes, as well as possible violations of the city and state fire codes." I think THIS sums it up much better.

September 23, 2010 at 12:20 p.m.
  • Puente said:

"And for some people in town, that was a place where they were born, where someone special died. Some take offense that it has turned into something for amusement."

Seems like that sums it up. It has nothing to do with the conditions of the building. It has everything to do with the small town folk not wanting 'outsiders' coming to town or else Puente wouldn't have added that little piece to his statement.

September 23, 2010 at 11:54 a.m.
  • Yorktown has a excellent city administrator who was only looking at the best interest of his town! And your ghost ppl wouldnt understand cause apparently you only care about yourself...your only worried about finding ghosts! why are u so worried about past souls anyway?? why dont u educate yourself on present issues, such as rules, laws, & regulations of cities & states. When you go to college for 6 years, earn a masters at A&M, than maybe you can come to yorktown and do the city adimistrators job.....until than maybe you have no room to talk on how unfair yorktown is to paranormal activity seekers.

September 23, 2010 at 10:24 a.m.
  • ...once again, ridiculous. lead paint, asbestos, shoddy, makeshift electrical, countless fire hazards, mold, leaky roof, ect...... oh yeah, totally safe.... btw. the city did shut down their old city hall for asbestos, they did the right thing. phil ross needs to do the right thing and get the thing up to code if he is going to allow people in it. he should know this, he's a lawyer (apparently not a very good one).
    real or not, believe in ghost or not, doesn't matter, city AND state laws are being broken. so, if you wanna help this guy, you better have some deep pockets cause the only thing that's gonna save that building is renovation. good luck.

September 23, 2010 at 9:08 a.m.
  • Have one more thing to say. The City of Yorktown has missed something else really big, that Yorktown Hospital has a lot of paranormal activity in it and is possibly haunted. They again with their opinions and statements seem to take the position that they do not believe in ghosts and the paranormal. Well, lots of other paranormal investigators and other people out there who have had the opportunity to investigate the hospital do believe in ghosts and that ghosts are in the hospital. The City of Yorktown has missed the fact that Yorktown Hospital is growing steadily in popularity as to the whole paranormal research world and is on the radar of established and well known very respectable paranormal teams that want to investigate it for themselves. They also again miss the fact as to how much money this brings into the town each time someone does visit the hospital. Paranormal researchers again do not want the hospital changed because it is perfect for what we do. We also do not bother other people because most of us are very professional people in our other occupations besides this 2nd job we do as investigators. Guess Yorktown politics does not realize that cities like San Antonio use places like the missions and the Alamo to attract future money revenue. This sounds a whole lot like the old Salem Witch Trial situation viewpoint to me in the stance that the City of Yorktown is taking against the owner of the privately owned Yorktown Hospital.

Dan LaFave
    Founder
    Graveyard Shift Paranormal Investigations

September 22, 2010 at 8:12 p.m.
  • I am saddened by what the city has done. I highly doubt the city was motivated by one little complaint. This was a political motivation to undermine the success of the hospital. I hope that the paranormal community will do what it can to assist with funding of repairs. We can accomplish much if we can unite for a common cause. Its too bad the city has to make money off of so much pain of others.

September 22, 2010 at 7:33 p.m.
  • I also hope to see many more comments on here from people in the next week or so against the CIty of Yorktown's negative decision to close the private property Yorktown Hospital the way that they did. I know that people in channels are really talking about this situation and that this by far is not the end of this situation. We are going to help our friend Phil Ross/owner in what ways possible be able to keep his private property hospital open to the paranormal research world.

Dan LaFave
    Founder
    Graveyard Shift Paranormal Investigations

September 22, 2010 at 7:15 p.m.
  • The decision by the City of Yorktown to act like this and close Yorktown Hospital is a very sad situation. Our organization, Graveyard Shift Paranormal, had a very exciting paranormal event scheduled their next month that we suddenly had to cancel due to this negative situation. In looking at the City of Yorktown's comments, they seem to take the position that paranormal research is amusement and not to be taken seriously by anyone. they are sadly mistaken. They missed the whole underlying reason for this private property hospital in the first place and killed a lot of future city money to be made from people coming from all over the country to experience the hospital for themselves. The hospital is by far a very respectable place and every investigator or visitor there handled themselves well. Every person knew that they assumed their own liability if they somehow injured themselves, this hospital was very safe both indoors and outdoors. We did a documentary of the hospital a year ago. We also while on another team helped introduce this hospital to the public world. Such a shame, this whole situation. Wish the City of Yorktown would wake up and quit being so ignorant as to the real reason for this hospital and that it was perfectly safe for anyone that went inside it.

Dan LaFave
    Founder
    Graveyard Shift Paranormal Investigations

September 22, 2010 at 7:05 p.m.
  • I've been in the Yorktown Hospital, it was in no way, in great shape but I don't think you would get injured in there unless you were being stupid. i.e. running, jumping, horseplay. If people could be trusted to be responsible there would be no problem. Unfortunately, they can't and that ruins whatever experiences people may have later on!!

September 22, 2010 at 12:53 p.m.
  • I saw that story Kash...maybe the spirits are angry.

September 22, 2010 at 8:25 a.m.
  • Anyone else read the story about the Yorktown gym making people sick.

September 21, 2010 at 11:40 p.m.
  • Come-on Yorktown! Get with the program - Other than the little party you have in October - what else do you have thru-out the year. NOTHING. The hospital was something bringing in money to that little town. (Might be why the hospital closed in the first place) Keep it open. business is good for a small town like that - Towns like that are dying left and right thru-out America.

I have been there on both day and night tours and its great. Its just an old building - if people are complaining about it - what are they doing to help there town? Running people away!!! Way to go!!! It doesn't hurt anyone that its there - yes it might be an eyesore - but that's the point - Half the town looks like that.

There was nothing a person would be in danger of. The place was build to withstand a bomb and a hurricane. Yes it it old - but the people taking care of it have put a lot of time and effort into it to make it nice. When it first opened to the public it was a mess (ask the city people that went on that tour - Police chief, etc.) And they did miracles to get it the way it is now. It is not like people go in there and sleep all night and move stuff around - they go on TOURS!

Plus with October coming up and Halloween in the area - now is a stupid time to close it. The place been open for over a yr and a half and now your doing your inspection. Nice Yorktown! Way to stay on the ball.

You need to inspect your own city buildings - I've been in those too - and I guess you will be shutting yourself down too.

September 21, 2010 at 8:18 p.m.
  • I have been in that building a many of times doing investigations and I don't like the actions of the city either. Whoever complained must have nothing else better to do than to complain about stuff. Hope your happy for hurting A LOT of people. Thanks to you now we will have to go elsewhere. Lets see how much a difference it makes with yorktown's tourist count now that it's closed. I would have to agree the city gets mad when they can't get their greedy hands on someone else's profit ,LOL. Grinches WHAT A DARN SHAME!!!!!!!! I have gotten alot of great EVP'S and pictures from that place. It surely will be missed until we meet again. :-(

September 21, 2010 at 8:01 p.m.
  • maybe try the old yoakum hospital. it looks scary

September 21, 2010 at 7:31 p.m.
  • ...uh oh, here comes the conspiracy theories. ha ha ha ...the only thing "we" know that "you" don't is that there is no hidden agenda, no conspiracy, nothing but a small town doing the best it can for it's citizens. c'mon people, grow up. big bad government in Yorktown, Tx. isn't out to get or hide anything. this has become totally ridiculous.

September 21, 2010 at 5:28 p.m.
  • Also want to send props out to Mike Henson, fantastic tour guide.

September 21, 2010 at 4:28 p.m.
  • Some friends and I recently did an overnight tour of the hospital. I think it serves as a positive wake up call. My friend's wife (on camera) had her hair pulled very violently. If that doesn't say something, what else will. There is definitely something there. and for the city to pull this crap, c'mon people. I understand that there is a history there for some local folks. This is just a cop-out to keep this little town hidden, because you know something that we don't.

September 21, 2010 at 4:27 p.m.
  • As a paranormal investigator, I have made several visits to the hospital. This location is very well known throughout Texas as well as the nation as a great spot to catch paranormal activity. It is a sad day for the paranormal groups. I understand that the building needs to be brought up to code. However, part of the great thing about this building is because of its current state. There isn't a veteran paranormal investigator that wouldn't understand the risk of entering this building as with any building we enter. We understand that we are "entering at our own risk" wherever we go, be it a business or a residence.
    As for the city of Yorktown, they have multiple issues besides the sudden decision to shut down a location that has brought a lot of visitors to the small town. I am very familiar with Yorktown and have visited many times, mainly due to the Yorktown Memorial Hospital. The city certainly isn't known for it's kind personel at local businessess or for it's accomodations or attractions that would give it the "small town" feel that most small towns give you. In fact, it is quite different. I have interacted with only one employee in a Yorktown business, other than the hospital, that had any sense of what customer service is and how to keep people coming back. Yorktown has a lot of improving to do to keep people coming back to visit.
    This hospital brought in a lot of outside income for hotels, convenience stores, and the one or two restaurants located in Yorktown. So not only is it a sad day for paranormal investigators, but for the city as a whole.
    For those of you questioning the paranormal, investigators have recorded some great videos, photos, and EVPs (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) at the Yorktown Memorial Hospital which is why they keep coming back. The caretaker, Mike, has to be one of the nicest people I have ever met. Surely there is a better way to handle this than to threaten lawsuits to an innocent business owner with no prior notice that there were any complaints. This just sounds fishy.

September 21, 2010 at 4:16 p.m.
  • funny how someone complained to the city and the city did something about it!! you would think they would be getting praised.

September 21, 2010 at 4:03 p.m.
  • funny how it has been open for a year with no problems and then when it comes up that someone is thinking of filming a movie there they shut it down. do they know how much money that would bring to the area???????

September 21, 2010 at 3:57 p.m.
  • i'm sure... and probably asbestos too.

September 21, 2010 at 2:48 p.m.
  • If's there's water in there, there must be mold too.

September 21, 2010 at 2:21 p.m.
  • i live there and i don't see it that way. if they have deficit spending after the enormous budget cuts they just made then they should welcome ticketig as revenue but the cops there are pretty lenient. drug dealers?!?!?! c'mon, there are 2200 people in yorktown, how many drug dealers can there be. i see more on 1 block in victoria than i've ever seen in yorktown. i'm glad someone is tryin to do something to clean the town up a little so that maybe we could actually get some respectable business in town. that dump is joke so i'd be ROFLMAF too if it wasn't so pathetic. talk to sane people who actually live in yorktown befor buying into this save the small, quirky business B.S.

September 21, 2010 at 1:35 p.m.
  • ROFLMAF! The officials of Yorktown have much more important things they need to take care of like deficit spending, drugs/drug dealers, overzealous police officers ticketing everything in site, snot-nosed, pompous city administrator, ineffective mayor and ignorant council members. Whatever brings business to Yorktown should be welcomed, not discouraged.

September 21, 2010 at 1:11 p.m.
  • a "waiver" is about as good as a piece of toilet paper. if someone wants to sue, they will. it's not just the outside they are worried about. the roof is falling in and leaking water on some very shoddy extension cords used for electricity. you can see standing water in the pictures. besides, there isn't very much business done there that i can see. the dollar general in town is closed for the same reason. guess we better raise some H#!! about that too! oh wait, there are laws (state, county, and city) in place to protect us from places like these.

September 21, 2010 at 11:25 a.m.
  • Kooky, eyesore, or not..... these people were not hurting anyone. They were bringing business and attention to a dried up, has-been town. The exterior of the building (unkempt) is part of the atmosphere. It is supposed to look spooky and derelict. We spoke with Mr. Hensen last summer, and he was very nice. Visitors and paranormal investigators should sign a waiver saying they cannot sue if they are injured on the property if that is the concern. People go there at their own risk anyway. The Yorktown city officials need to pay more attention to the criminal activity that has polluted the town rather than people hoping to see a ghost. Yorktown used to be a safe, beautiful town 30 years ago....not so much now. Why don't the city officials and law enforcement go after the druggies and thieves that have infested the area with as much zeal as you went after the old hospital?

September 21, 2010 at 11:07 a.m.
  • yorktown is a ghost town thanks to the city council

September 21, 2010 at 10:53 a.m.
  • Ghost hunting? Seriously? Why not just checkout the zombies at Wal-Mart at 2:00 am? At least you're guaranteed a sighting and it's probably quite a bit scarier.

September 21, 2010 at 10:18 a.m.
  • i live in yorktown. that thing is an eyesore!! i looks like it's ready to fall down on it's own. the grass is so high you could bail it. if the owner doesn't have te money to fix it up good enough to meet yorktown's code, you can bet he doesn't have the money to pay for someone getting hurt. profit has nothing to do with it!!!

September 21, 2010 at 10:07 a.m.
  • I know several people that worked there and I have asked them about ghosts and spirts and the old response I ever got from them was the only spirts there were what the doctors drank between patients.

September 21, 2010 at 8:30 a.m.
  • Kooks abound! Hey! For $10 a head, I'll take you on a Chupacabra hunt!

September 21, 2010 at 7:05 a.m.
  • I think the city of Yorktown better think about creating a business instead of shutting them down. I was there a few months ago and Yorktown will be a ghost town. This hospital at least brought in people from out of town and I know for a fact used Yorktown's motel and restaurants. I think this was the "only" thing that would draw people to their community.

September 21, 2010 at 6:07 a.m.
  • Was set to go on Sat.. Does seem strange that its been open for a year and now they find code problems. Or is someone upset they aren't getting in on some profit? No other reason to go to Yorktown. Hate it when people jump to tear down all the older buildings. Victoria has lost many amazing buildings and houses.

September 21, 2010 at 3:45 a.m.
  • that's too bad, i was planning on going down there in october.
    "If I am scared of anything in that building, it's tetanus," Puente said. lol!!!!

September 20, 2010 at 10:22 p.m.