Comments

• Yorktown Western Days-Ziegfest
    Thank you to all the AMAZING bands that performed at our Fools Folly Festival 'Battle of the Bands'....The winner of the 2011 Battle was Brian Milson. 1st Runner Up was Cornerstone. 2nd Runner Up was The Loaded Guns. We appreciate all who performed, sponsored, supported and attended! Next up...the 2011 Yorktown Western Days-Ziegfest-Oct. 14-16!

This is from Yorktown Western Days-Ziegfest's facebook page. Satisfied?

April 4, 2011 at 5:03 p.m.
  • The Yorktown Western Days folks emptied the ballot box between each set. They weren't really ballots, but more like a critique sheet. I am not really sure how exactly they decided who the winner was, to be honest with you.

April 4, 2011 at 1:45 p.m.
  • So they tallied up all those votes that night? Amazing!

April 4, 2011 at 1:18 p.m.
  • I should add that Pop Rocks Ugly did do a great job too. They should have just shown more respect to a fellow musician.

April 4, 2011 at 1:13 p.m.
  • Pop Rocks Ugly are hardly professionals. The drummer from PRU was hitting the kickdrum while this young man was going through his set. The poor kids band didn't show up. Rather than back out, he got up there and played his set the best he could, and did a great job! He may not be a professional either, but he showed more professionalism than Pop Rocks Ugly did.

As for the result, I don't know when the cut-off for info for the Advocate is, but the winners and places were announced that night. Anyone who stuck around would have known that.

Congratulations again to Brian Milson. He did a great job.

April 4, 2011 at 1:11 p.m.
  • Those are the first three places, yes.

April 4, 2011 at 10:34 a.m.
  • EdithAnn- is that an official list of winners or is that your list of who you want to win? The way they voted was not the best way to do a battle of the bands. They need appointed judges. 3-5 would work well. I just want to know if you are reading their mind or do you have inside information as to who the winner is?

April 4, 2011 at 9:29 a.m.
  • 13 bands is too much. Not to take anything away from the winners, but I thought the voting method could have been better. I saw people walking up to vote with stacks of ballots--actual judges would have been better. Not much of a crowd in the early afternoon. Lots of great bands though. I do think 4-5 bands tops would be MUCH better. 7pm-midnight would be perfect.

The sound company was awesome! Hope Yorktown does this again next year. 'A' for effort on the very first event. I'm sure they'll find ways to improve and it will be even better next year.

April 3, 2011 at 6:04 p.m.
  • The show was too long. I can't take 13 hours in a lawn chair. Should be a little shorter, maybe 8 hours. I saw the first 8 hours and there were only about 4-5 bands that were good. One did not even show up and the rest need to go back to their garage. Too much dead air time during the sets. "Which song do you guys want to play next?". some did not even have a set list. I hope the last 1/3 of the show made up for the first part. One band did not show up and the bass player for 7 year crush did not even get on stage for the first 20 min. of their show. They need better bands next time. Get real professionals like Pop Rocks Ugly and a few of the other bands that I saw. I give Yorktown an 9 on a 1 to 10 scale for effort. I hope they do it again next year but make it a little shorter maybe about 8 hours instead of 13 hours. It was just to long. period. Great time of year.

April 3, 2011 at 5:39 p.m.
  • Great article VA!! Way to focus on a band that isn't even from around here! More about ANY of the LOCAL bands would have been nice. Maybe talk about Cornerstone (from Goliad) and the hard work they are doing to promote their original music. How about Southern Rose (from Pt Lavaca)? I guess I am also a little surprised the article wasn't about Coastal Bend. Either way, GREAT JOB everyone! All the bands were great!

April 3, 2011 at 4:56 p.m.
  • Congratulations to The Loaded Guns from Victoria for placing third behind Brian Milson and Cornerstone!!

Good job, guys! Way to represent Victoria!!!

April 3, 2011 at 1:29 p.m.