Home » A night at Yorktown Memorial Hospital » Unverified Comments

Comments

• Oh and P.S. If the article was read correctly and with an open mind you would have read that it was about the investigation itself not just about the "Legend". Yes the "Legend" was mentioned but the whole thing was about the investigation in general.

April 24, 2011 at 10:57 a.m.
  • I had heard of the "Legend" before by another paranormal group and many others outside of that group so who knows where it originated from.Despite the "small" disagreement over the article I enjoyed reading it =)

April 22, 2011 at 11:45 p.m.
  • I heard about the double murders years ago. The old Hospital use to be open every October for Halloween. FYI- I have several friends from Yorktown and I can tell you that most people in this small town have heard of this "Legend". To Kayla Bell, thank you for a great article. My teenage son and his friends thought it was " an awesome story"!

April 5, 2011 at 5:56 p.m.
  • Texican, evidently you are unaware that this story was the lead article on the front page of Sunday's Advocate, the actual hard copy edition. It was NOT in the entertaiment section, but in the spot usually reserved for the most important news of the day. You might not have a problem with made up legends running as lead story in the newspaper; I do.

April 5, 2011 at 5:02 p.m.
  • I am not from Yorktown. Im from Victoria, and I have heard of the double murders too. Many people have. Like previous comments, its a legend and legends are fun. Without legends, no one would believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny. Wire 5050. I think some you are taking this out of content...people explore legends to discover facts. Its a hobby and tons of people find it entertaining. Although the statistic is 1 out of 3 believing in ghost, I bet 2 of those 3 still watch the shows like Ghost Adventures and Paranormal Activity. If not they are reading the article (obviously). If you disapprove of whats going on, dont read the story. Brush it off with a smile :) That is Just My Opinion

April 5, 2011 at 11:21 a.m.
  • Wire5050, You are absolutely correct when you say the hospital was empty before Mr. Ross purchased it. Some items that once belonged to the hospital were brought back in by Mr. Ross as well as other furnishings from other locations to give it an authentic look. Most information that our historical researcher Susan Wallner acquired came from a few former and current residents as well as the caretaker of the hospital Mike Henson. We did not start the "legend" of the double murder nor will it end with us. Stories like this are found at every location that we investigate. Some have been passed down from past or current residents while others have been passed down from non-residents. Whatever the case may be, we do all we can to be as accurate as possible with what is uncovered by our historical researcher. Although we would like to talk to all residents of every community we visit, we are under time constraints with each investigation we conduct. The community of Yorktown should come together to do all they can to preserve this historic establishment for future generations. The community I'm from tore down the oldest jail in our town years ago and it was the biggest mistake they made. I would have loved to have taken my children and grand-children to this place but that part of our history is gone and is now a distant memory. Although you say the hospital is an "eye-sore", I hope that the residents of Yorktown will keep in mind the next and future generations before demolishing a part of its history.

April 5, 2011 at 12:03 a.m.
  • Rob Calzada being born in Yorktown and coming back many times each year and talking with most everyone in Yorktown I have never heard the legend about the murders and everyone I have asked has never heard that legend either. I would like to know who you heard your information from. Also when a Mr. Herb Schaefer from San Antonio owned this hospital I was able to take a tour or to view the hospital. At that time I did not see any dolls or ambulance or gurney or anything in the hospital. The hospital was completly empty except for a few pieces of the roof laying in a few places. The best thing that can happen now is that it be demolished. It is an eye sore the way it looks. This is just sad that there is no up keep on this. I know you have a job to do but have you talked with a lot of the people who worked in that hospital? I just think this has gone too far at Yorktown's expense.

April 4, 2011 at 11:07 p.m.
  • For those that were offended by our investigation, please let me take a moment and say that never, NEVER was it mentioned that the double homicide was a verified fact. If you go back and read the article, Kayla Bell clearly mentioned as did our historical researcher that "legend" has it that 2 murders occurred in the basement. The definition of "legend is as follws: a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down from earlier time. As far as this "stuff" being nonsense, as was mentioned in the article, 1 out of 3 people believe in ghost and I was also quoted as saying the "we are not doing this to change the skeptics minds". In fact, we welcome the opinions of the non-believer. The reason Golden Crescent Paranormal investigated the Yorktown Memorial Hospital was to find scientific proof that supports a haunting or no evidence therefore disproving a haunting. We came away with "hard evidence" (documented proof) that supports all the claims that the hospital is indeed haunted. As I mentioned before, we in no way nor have we ever tried to change a skeptic's mind. If we offended anyone who was born there or those that lost loved one's in the hospital, please know that was not our intention. We will continue investigating the places and cities where "legends" have be handed down from generation to generation to hopefully prove or disprove the claims associated with these establishments. GCP would like to thank the city of Yorktown for having us, Mr. Ross for allowing us access to his establishment, and the Victoria Advocate and their reporter Kayla Bell and photographer Genna Martin for accompanying us on this investigation. Thank you for an amazing story. Rob Calzada - Founder/ Director GCP

April 4, 2011 at 9:34 p.m.

April 4, 2011 at 8:41 p.m.
  • I am so tierd of hearing such bad things about a hospital that back in its prime was one of the best hospitals in the area. I was born there and had several family members that worked there and made a great living at that place and now people are making money off of rumors of ghosts and goblins and spirts. I will say this again the only spirts that were ever in that hospital were in a flask in the doctors pocket. As far as the legend of muder there that is just sad to even say that about a hospital.

April 4, 2011 at 5:01 p.m.

April 4, 2011 at 4:59 p.m.
  • I agree with Arlene. I was raised in Yorktown and not once have I ever heard of such a thing happening. This definitely belongs under the "Entertainment" section. My Aunt called to the read the article to me over the phone. I was in such awe that people are trying to make something out of such a "horrific event" that never occured! I feel as if it makes the citizens of Yorktown and even the citizens of the towns of these "ghost hunters" embarrassed! I have no idea what is in the future for some of the so called believers but i'm hoping it is a real job and hobby! This is a joke!

April 4, 2011 at 3:54 p.m.
  • Also lost on Arlene was the fact that this is under the "Entertainment" section. I don't see the Advocate trying to confirm or deny these folks' supposed findings---they're just telling a human interest story.

April 4, 2011 at 3:29 p.m.

April 3, 2011 at 10:52 p.m.
  • Arlene,
    Did you miss the part where they said that it was a "legend" and that they were unable to document it. That is their way of saying that it isn't confirmed.
    Great article, Kayla Bell!

April 3, 2011 at 10:52 p.m.
  • Pray tell me how the hospital can be "haunted" by the "ghosts" of a murder which never happened? How do you hide a double homicide in the hospital of a town of 2000 people, where everyone knows everyone else and all his business?

My siblings and I were all born in Yorktown Memorial Hospital. My family has lived for six generations in Yorktown, since 1852, and no one I know of has ever heard of any such double murder.

Advocate staff, there is a thing called "investigative journalism," maybe you've heard of it. This would involve a reporter checking police and court records for evidence of such a crime taking place.

The nuns did the people of Yorktown a great service by building and running that hospital. They took good care of me and members of my family when we were patients there, and I don't appreciate their memory being sullied by this posthumous slander, especially since it is such ridiculous libel as this "ghost" nonsense.

April 3, 2011 at 3:26 p.m.
  • Rob Calzada and the team of Golden Crescent Paranormal would like to thank the Victoria Advocate, reporter Kayla Bell and photographer Genna Martin for accompanying us on our Yorktown Memorial Hospital investigation on 03/26/2011. Thanks for a phenomenal article and amazing photos.
    Rob Calzada- Founder/ Director GCP

April 3, 2011 at 1:43 a.m.