Comments

• Jbass5...What's so special about Dallas Love? Do the research. Go onto whichever airline's website you prefer and look at flights to your common destinations from DAL. Then do the same for flights out of IAH and see which airport offers the most convenience and the most non-stops to your preferred destinations. Then factor in that SeaPort doesn't interline with other airlines.

If you flew SeaPort from VCT to DAL, you would need to retrieve your luggage upon arrival in DAL, take it to the other airline's checkin facility, check your bags again and then go through security AGAIN.

If you flew from VCT to IAH, when you arrived in Houston, you would go into the terminal, check the monitors for your connecting gate, take the little train thingy to the next terminal, present your boarding pass and get on the plane. You would retrieve your luggage at your destination and would only have to clear security here in Victoria.

Unless your final destination is downtown Dallas, why would you want to fly into Dallas Love and put up with the hassle of getting to your destination? I'll admit that Love is a neat airport with a great aviation museum, but if I'm going to Chicago or DC or New York or San Francisco, all I want to do is get on my connecting flight and go.

April 5, 2011 at 8:08 p.m.
  • The NOTAM for Victoria regional Airport local control says the tower operates form 6am to 8pm Monday thru Saturday, 6am to 6pm on Sundays. Other hours are monitored by Houston, as they where 24/7 before the control tower was operational.

The only gripe by a pilot I have heard about Victoria was from my nephew, he said " Victoria is expensive to fly into, the overnight tarmac fee is more than Hobby, (Houston), charges."

April 5, 2011 at 7:09 p.m.

April 5, 2011 at 7:02 p.m.
  • That's a real eye opener about the tower not operating when the commercial flights are coming and going. I think the tower primarily is for the benefit of the Coast Guard touch n goes. It seems to me that SeaPort Airlines runs a fairly economical type of plane. If they wouldn't be competing directly against United in the Houston market, then why couldn't they open a new market for Victoria by going to Love Field without the EAS funding? Is there some kind of restriction on VCT having two airlines because of the EAS?

April 5, 2011 at 5:11 p.m.
  • thewaywardwind thewaywardwind
    Thanks for the info on EAS and the subsidy, and the tower...spend it up, the taxpayers will pay for it, one way or another.
    Ugotta

April 5, 2011 at 3:46 p.m.
  • I thought I was the only one who felt that way about the control tower. Very unfreindly controllers on the radio. Not to mention the lack of knowledge. United is okay but what about the folks who sit behind the desk, no customer service, where's the manager? Sorry but I'll drive to Austin and Houston to get my flights. Don't like the service from the airlines or tower here.

April 5, 2011 at 1:25 p.m.
  • Oh, by the way, I forgot about the control tower. It's just about as useless as faucets on a boar hog. For a half century, Victoria had commercial air service -- for many years with five or more flights a day without the control tower. Was the airport less safe then? Hardly. In all those years there were NO accidents that could be blamed on the lack of tower controllers. It's been some time since I quit working for the airline, so I'm not sure about times now, but when the tower opened, the first commercial flight of the day departed before the tower opened and the last inbound flight arrived after the tower closed. Just how necessary is that control tower? A lot of money can be saved if the tower was closed and safety would not be compromised.

April 5, 2011 at 12:11 p.m.
  • UgottaBkidin...Air service out of Victoria absolutely depends on the Essential Air Service federal subsidy or it wouldn't exist. EAS will only subsidize one airline. The choice this year was between being able to make connections in Houston to go just about anywhere you'd like to go or Dallas Love with zero connections. Had the choice been between DFW and IAH, most of my objections to the SeaPort option would go away, but IAH still offers better choices than DFW, especially if you have an international destimation.

April 5, 2011 at 12:03 p.m.
  • Ya'll just hang on here now!!
    Might be jumping the gun here!

Just because the people want it, Victorias history shows that isn't always what happens.

April 5, 2011 at 9:45 a.m.
  • Now tell me again...why couldn't we have both services operate out of Victoria, we have a control tower now.

April 5, 2011 at 9:27 a.m.
  • Thank you for going with the IAH connection.

April 4, 2011 at 9:06 p.m.