Comments

• No need to be sorry, Vox. And thanks for the link to the UH Master Plan. I agree that a campus plan is not the same thing as a master plan. The UH Campus plan does illustrate, however, how focused the system is on the home base. And really, that's as it should be.

The master plan you link to here does give a nod to downward expansion at UHV. But unless I'm missing something (and I'm confident you'll correct me if I'm wrong), there is very little that is specific. I have seen a more thorough draft of plans for UHV, but from what I understand, much of that is unworkable at present.

Things can continue as they have, and that certainly wouldn't be the end of the world. If they mean what they say, I would expect that those who have supported UHV in the past would continue to do so in the future. Still, these documents we are referring to here reinforce my notion that Houston needs to take care of Houston, and that this community should partner with a system that is experienced and ready to develop a regional university in our area.

April 13, 2011 at 12:13 a.m.
  • Get ur tilt on.

Lets not forget something here. Texas A&M funded Morison’s “unopposed” elections after the HB 3015, which benefit’s A&M.

April 12, 2011 at 11:17 p.m.
  • Jackdeuce , you are right about Geanie Morrison's HB 3015 TUITION DEREGULATION BILL!!!!! Giving the universities board of regents the authority on setting tuition, a board that is appointed not elected. I WONDER WHY SHE DOESNT TOUT THIS ACCOMPLISHMENT ON HER WEBPAGE UNDER THE HIGHER EDUCATION LINK!

April 12, 2011 at 10:57 p.m.
  • Again...

Sorry dfjoseph, that's not the UH System Master plan that you linked to (again), that's the UH Main Campus Master Plan. There's a difference.

In the interest of comparing apples to apples, here's the link to the UH-System Master Plan:

Take that information and get whatever you want from it.

Even A&M has a 'campus plan' - http://campusplan.tamu.edu/

April 12, 2011 at 5:36 p.m.
  • I was indifferent about this until I read the master plans from both systems. I've since learned that TAMU wants to build regional universities across the state (presumably including Victoria) while UH wants to build green spaces, arts districts, stadiums and parking lots at home in Houston. Do you think I'm kidding? I am not. Read for yourselves. Seriously... if, after reading both of these documents you remain opposed to a switch, please explain why.

April 12, 2011 at 5:26 p.m.
  • Im glad it passed, even though always appreciate a person willing to stand alone, even if I disagree with them. I will say, from talking to many in the community, I can not find a majority of taxpayers against it. I have not seen a true scientific poll, but for the sake of debate, we should just go through the expense of an election and find out. Why not? 100k spent on lobbying, sounds like money better spent on the public voting.

April 12, 2011 at 11:03 a.m.
  • Jack Deuce.

Thank you for saying “ .And who do we have to thank for increased student loans? Geanie Morrison and her tuition deregulation bill.”

THANK YOU !!!!! THANK YOU !!!!!!! THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!

Where and why hasn’t the Victoria Advocate bought this issue up. Are they scared of this? Are they in the Morrison camp? I guess my comment will be removed and I will be banned because of it.

I shall give money to Ives's reelection camp.

April 11, 2011 at 10:54 p.m.
  • Thank you mr. Ives,
    I voted for you, met and talked to your wife outside of memorial high the morning of election. Told her i was voting for you because of the televised debate i had recently saw, you came across as a man who is very insightful and one who really thinks out the consequences of your decisions. Thank you for your decision it will be a testament to your character.

April 11, 2011 at 10:15 p.m.
  • Top Federal Loan Gross Volume Schools in District 30

013231 University of Houston-Victoria # of loans 2010- 3,173,
    dollar amount - $16,105,805
    #of loans2009- 2,639, dollar amount - $12,856,698

003662 Victoria College, #of loans 2010- 1,191, dollar amount- $4,259,621, #loans 2009- 935. dollar amount - $3,548,569

Borrowers Attending a School in District 30
    Total # loans 2010- 4,694, dollar amount- $21,201,816, #loans 2009- 3,879, dollar amount- $17,286,171

It appears to me that almost half of the UHV students pay for college with student loans, well over half of VC students do the same.

That is a lot of borrowed money that supports most of the students education.
    A&M, when they took over A&I received permission to increase tuition rates to pay for new infrastructure. Think about that. Students if the switch happens can expect to take out larger loans to attend college.

Yup, that promotes higher education.

Make it more expensive, after all it's just borrowed money right?

April 11, 2011 at 7:17 p.m.
  • According to the taped segment of CC meeting on KAVU, Judge Pozzi also said "This is about advancing higher education and economic development."

I was curious, so I looked somethings up, particularly about the students that attend both UHV and VC.

Keep in mind that the below information counts UHV as a whole, in other words Sugarland and Cinco Ranch students are included. The VC numbers might include the student at that attend at the Pt.Lavaca and Gonzales learning centers.

Cont.

April 11, 2011 at 6:54 p.m.
  • Thank you, Mr. Ives. For standing with the majority of taxpayers in Victoria County.

Mr. Burns, please explain your statement "other universities have advised Victoria County to support the switch". VicAd? I thought the systems involved are held mute by law, and I can not phanthom UT, SWT, TT or any other state school sticking their nose in this. Please ask Mr. Burns to cite his source of his quote.

April 11, 2011 at 6:30 p.m.

April 11, 2011 at 5:42 p.m.
  • Though I am indifferent to what name is on the local university, I am very pleased to see that there are some local politicians who are willing to think for themselves, and vote accordingly.

Well done, Mr. Ives

April 11, 2011 at 5:19 p.m.