Monday, December 22, 2014




Advertise with us

Fire destroys Inez mobile home

By Jennifer Lee Preyss
April 17, 2011 at 8 p.m.
Updated April 16, 2011 at 11:17 p.m.

Delbert Nickel looks over the remains of his home at 1200 Nickel Road after it was destroyed in a blaze in Inez Sunday afternoon.

Delbert and Marilyn Nickel were at home Sunday afternoon, when they noticed their electricity go out without cause.

"We were in the bedroom and the lights went off," Delbert Nickel, 68, said.

Moments later, Nickel went to investigate the electrical shortage and noticed smoke coming from the roof of his double wide mobile home. Within minutes, Nickel said his entire house was ablaze.

"I tried to put it out myself, but it got so big so fast," he said.

Victoria County Fire Department responded to the fire at 1200 Nickel Road in Inez about 2:30 p.m., but by the time firefighters arrived, flames had already spread through the structure.

"Victoria Fire Department arrived on scene and found the double-wide mobile home completely engulfed in flames," Battalion Chief Shannon Martin said.

The Nickels escaped the fire unharmed, but the home was a total loss.

"We've survived a flood, a tornado, a hurricane; so we can survive this too," Nickel said.

An investigation revealed an electrical malfunction in vent fan in the bathroom, according to officials.

The fire was extinguished about 3:07 p.m., Martin said.

SHARE

Comments


Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia