Comments

• Good Job Mrs. Bise!

A cousin of mine recently saw your billboards. He also had heard about the river access in riverside park, he called me and wants to bring some friends down to Kayak. I told him I wanted to tag along, first I have to finish my firts 5k in the park tommorow! The 5k benifits the "young life" organization. So much to do!

April 29, 2011 at 4:24 p.m.
  • Citizen--two years running she has been given $750K. The tab is now $1.5 MILLION! I heard she is going back in the fall to ask for $1.2 MILLION.

That's a lot of dead presidents.

April 29, 2011 at 2:52 p.m.
  • When my wife and I moved here 10 years we found Victoria to be DEAD. There is nothing for a family to do here at all. Now we go to San Antonio EVERY year for family vacations and our wedding anniversary. So, please tell me what in the hell that 750k is being spent on that would make me stay here and spend my money on Victoria? Im sorry but Bridgette Bise screwed Victoria out of 750K I think.

April 29, 2011 at 2:32 p.m.
  • the 750k would have been better spent developing another 'business park' to attract another large company

April 29, 2011 at 10:39 a.m.
  • ADDYS are awarded to advertising folks by other advertising folks based upon how an ad looks. It has zip to do with effectivness. It's about design, not results.

April 29, 2011 at 9:52 a.m.
  • What does Victoria have to offer someone from out of town. What attractions do we have that no one else has? None. As far as I know people are going to Austin, Houston and Corpus Christi to have fun because there is nothing in Victoria. What do we have here. I could see using $750k to promote the city if there were something to promote. We are just a small town with a large population. Granted that CAT is coming and that will bring in some more companies but still nothing for the average visitor to see. Show me something that sets us apart from any other city. I also want to know how many pair of "Boots" have been sold in this advertising champain. From $300-$500 a pair, I bet not many. I looked up Victoria on Facebook and found a joke of a page. This is free advertising and it is not being used. Get with it Victoria!

April 29, 2011 at 7:38 a.m.
  • I will say whenever we drive by a Bring your Boots billboard we laugh.....it is a contrived slogan that has very little to do with Victoria & its history.

If the hotel tax money is supposed to be used to attract tourists to Victoria then why isn't the some of the money allocated to the zoo & the park which both desperately need it? Last time I checked zoos attract tourists. Victoria has a beautiful park, it was ruined in the 80's & has been left realtively ignored since then.

April 28, 2011 at 7:50 p.m.
  • "wanna be a baller"....I am a Victorian by birth, I am no longer a resident, my family still resides in Victoria, I used to travel for business & stay in Victoria, sometimes at my parents, sometimes not. Sometimes my husband is with me, sometimes not, if not, I am alone. Thanks for trying to imply that I am a whore.

April 28, 2011 at 7:39 p.m.
  • el69 is right. Armadillo festival was a huge success (Macaroni, not so much). Problem then was that things got a little bit out of hand, and the conservative "bloggers" of the day (we used to call them gossips) got a little bit disgusted. But the point is that Victoria is capable of attracting visitors. And given the right circumstances and yes, marketing, we can compete with any of the small to mid-sized cities in this state for the tourist trade.

Some of the outrage here is based on a campaign theme that doesn't resonate with most Victorians. But there are others who simply don't like the current crop of leaders and are predisposed to agree with any ideas they may suggest.

April 28, 2011 at 1:36 p.m.
  • Is Ms. Bise doing what is expected of her...Low Key?
    Remember the Armadillo Fest, the Macaroni Fest, as soon as they got big or getting bigger, they were shut down...Victoria did not want the large volume of visitors...even though recognition and monies were coming in...

April 28, 2011 at 1:09 p.m.
  • Vox, I agree that there should be a bigger effort made to increase tourism other than just advertising, and as I understand it there is. The problem is that most of negative comments come from people that are under the impression that the total budget has been spent on just advertising. If you have experience in marketing/advertising then I'm sure you would agree that even if that was the case, the amounts we are talking about isn't a giant budget.

Personally, I don't think BB is going to be around much longer. She doesn't play well with others and that's not going to work in South Texas. I haven't really cared for her since day one, but I support the effort. If we want to move Victoria out of the 70's we are going to have to spend some cash. Perhaps the next CVB Director can appease everyone. Doubtful, but I'm not going to discourage them from trying.

April 28, 2011 at 11:24 a.m.
  • holein1,

I've done quite a bit of marketing and advertising, and I've dealt with businesses that could increase their profits ten fold with a little more investment in advertising, but instead choose to skimp.

The difference is those businesses have a product that is flying off the shelves, and in many cases they just need to reach a wider audience. Tourists are not flocking to Victoria. Use a larger portion of that money for the arts, or to throw a big event, and reserve the advertising funds for when they will really be effective--that is, once you establish a reason for people to come here (and more importantly come back again and again).

HoleIn1, if you're in marketing then I'm sure you probably never turn a client away, no matter how crappy their product is. It's not your place to tell them how to do business or improve a product (no matter how much advice and experience you provide). The CVB is in the same predicament. Ms. Bise has to work with what Victoria has to offer. I just want to see some justification in the ADVERTISING portion of the $750K (per year) to show that TOURISTS are staying in the hotels.

I don't want the CVB saying that the ads are working just because hotel occupancy tax is up.

April 28, 2011 at 10:41 a.m.
  • holein1 - "One of the least effective ways of measuring the success of a campaign or strategy is to survey the customer."

That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. What are they supposed to do? Learn from telepathic practices...

April 28, 2011 at 10:31 a.m.
  • vox, my previous comment was written before you posted your last.

You make some very good points. However, I think if you contact the Yorktown Chamber you'll find that they do spend a bit of money on advertising outside of our area.

April 28, 2011 at 10:22 a.m.
  • vox, you sound like someone that has never actually worked in marketing or advertising, but more like a business owner that has tried to justify paying less for their advertising or marketing.

One of the least effective ways of measuring the success of a campaign or strategy is to survey the customer. Often times the customer can't recall where they heard the message, or call to action. Plus, the most successful campaigns cover all media outlets. Also, studies show that customers actually feel uncomfortable when asked what, who or how they came to their decision.

Once again, I don't like the concept. I think it's weak and lacks solid direction. That being said, the ads are great and are very good work. I think they earned the awards.

Ever heard the saying that bad publicity is good publicity? Pretty much the same thing goes for advertising. While I do not agree with the concept, the fact that something is being done to increase the visibility of Victoria is good and we should support that.

April 28, 2011 at 10:02 a.m.
  • What classifies a campaign as 'working' or 'not working'? If one person, one family, etc. saw an ad and came to Victoria then technically it worked--someone saw an ad and acted upon it.

Personally I classify an ad campaign as 'working' if it generates more money than it costs to run it. I think it's a little too early to say whether it's working or not, and I haven't seen the reports to make a judgment. That's up to Ms. Bise to present....maybe she did and I missed it.

I guess my big complaint with the whole thing is that the CVB could spend $300K-$500K each year to throw the biggest event in South Texas (or even several big events throughout the year). Word of mouth is the cheapest and most effective form of advertising there is. Look at Western Days, Fiddler's Frolic, etc. thousands of people show up to these things, and a relatively small amount of advertising is needed because people already know to expect these events every year.

You can either spend $750K (per year) to advertise and maybe trick people into coming here once or twice until they've seen it all, or you can create something unique that people will want to come back to year after year. I know the BootFest is in the works, but I think it would have been a better idea to start with the BootFest and increase ad campaigns a few years down the road.

April 28, 2011 at 9:56 a.m.
  • However, we leave our "boots" at home. Just an FYI

April 28, 2011 at 9:47 a.m.
  • Well, I live in this town and we stay in hotels as well. I guess you never heard of "role play" to keep the sex life spiced up. I can hear shotcaller now. Heaven forbid people do this sort of thing in Victoria! Well, we do and do it often!

April 28, 2011 at 9:46 a.m.
  • If you stay at local hotels, then yes, you get a say so. Although I think it is fishy that you stay in local hotels if you live in Victoria. Does your spouse know this?

Plus, I never said that this money has to be spent just on advertising. All I am saying is that it cannot be spent on all the things being brought up in this blog. Aside from the point that spending it on advertising is the biggest bang for the Victoria buck. It is a way to promote the community in its entirety. To get outside money to be spent here. If you give it all to the Museum for example, they will just promote their own sector. And all the outside money will only come from the Museum enthusiasts.

Oh, and I am still waiting for someone to prove to me that the campaign is not working......

April 28, 2011 at 9:35 a.m.
  • The only boots I need are the ones to wade through all the BS of this story.

April 28, 2011 at 9:07 a.m.
  • Over $700,000 for what? I can not believe citizens are not more outraged. Come on everyone speak up.

April 28, 2011 at 8:51 a.m.
  • "The number one rule of advertising is that there is no solid, clear cut way to prove it ever works."
    HOW ABOUT THIS...
    In the 1970s, the rivalry continued to heat up the market. Pepsi conducted blind taste tests in stores, in what was called the "Pepsi Challenge". These tests suggested that more consumers preferred the taste of Pepsi (which is believed to have more lemon oil, less orange oil, and uses vanillin rather than vanilla) to Coke. The sales of Pepsi started to climb, and Pepsi kicked off the "Challenge" across the nation. This became known as the "Cola Wars".

In 1985, The Coca-Cola Company, amid much publicity, changed its formula. The theory has been advanced that New Coke, as the reformulated drink came to be known, was invented specifically in response to the Pepsi Challenge. However, a consumer backlash led to Coca-Cola quickly reintroducing the original formula as Coke "Classic".
    We also in Mexican have a saying...
    "La que no ensenar no vender" The one that does not advertise, does not sell...
    Is this what you mean by Return on Investment? (ROI)

April 28, 2011 at 7:40 a.m.
  • "wanna be a baller, shotcaller".....I stay in the local motels so does that mean I DO have a say as to how MY money is being spent?

April 27, 2011 at 6:42 p.m.
  • "Unless you are spending your money to stay in local hotels and motels, you don't have a say so as to where this money is spent. Sorry!"

Wow. Local businesses benefit from tourism/visitors, and the sales tax they collect benefits everyone. Of course advertising is necessary, but I think $750K+ is a little excessive (especially when there is no clear plan to measure ROI). Contrary to popular belief, advertising is NOT the only thing that hotel/motel tax can be spent on. As you say ShotCaller, do a little research.

Here's a good place to start: http://www.lilesparker.com/2011/03/21...

April 27, 2011 at 3:01 p.m.
  • Unless you are spending your money to stay in local hotels and motels, you don't have a say so as to where this money is spent. Sorry! So stop complaining that the money could be better spend doing something else. That gripe is to your state representative. Not to your nay sayer buddies on this blog. Oh, and you all want proof that the campaign is working? Why don't one of you prove to me that it is not working? I believe that it is. Who will prove me wrong? "a solid loss - in print based on actual sales receipts" as "THE" Pilot would only want it.

April 27, 2011 at 2:48 p.m.

It's not about proving if it works or not, it's being able to show a ROI or at least determine the effectiveness of the advertising campaign.

There are TONS of metrics and techniques that businesses regularly use to determine the effectiveness of advertising.

A very simple one in this case would be to provide surveys (the easy 'how did you hear about us' or 'what brings you to Victoria' kind) to folks staying at the hotels or visiting area attractions. Is the CVB doing that?

April 27, 2011 at 2:46 p.m.
  • Hey Pilot, do a little research. The number one rule of advertising is that there is no solid, clear cut way to prove it ever works. Yet companies pour billions into every year. Why? Because they loose money if they don't. And that my friend, is proven.

April 27, 2011 at 2:35 p.m.
  • The data that they collect on heads in beds will not be representative of the (BRING YOUR BOOTS CAMPAIGN). The numbers will be high I am sure, but ONLY due to all the OILFIELD work that is going on. I am sure they will try and take credit for it and claim the campaign is a great success, but in actuality it has been nothing but an utter FLOP!!!

April 27, 2011 at 8 a.m.
  • Congratulations, ladies! The advertising is good. Time will tell if it is effective. Hang in there.

April 27, 2011 at 7:41 a.m.
  • Don't forget the hookers! Bring your clap!

April 26, 2011 at 11:16 p.m.
  • Hey shotcaller...Take a look at who is staying at the hotels and you'll see oil field workers, construction workers, etc.

They are bringing their boots, but not because some ad told them to. They brought them because that's what they wear to work.

April 26, 2011 at 11:14 p.m.
  • 750k wasted dollars.

the local hotels would be full regardless of this boondoggle. that money would have been better spent cleaning up riverside park some.

hopefully this award means bb is soon leaving victoria to bigger and better things.

April 26, 2011 at 10:59 p.m.
  • Best I can tell, Victoria has been far from being a ghost town since this campaign started. The restaurants are busy and the hotels are full. Hotels which are footing the bill for this anyway. I think the campaign is working wonderfully as do many people in town. Keep up the good work Bise and JET! Aside from a few nay sayers with nothing better to do but sit on the sideline and pout, the people of Victoria are behind you and appreciate your efforts.

April 26, 2011 at 10:13 p.m.
  • Competition is never easy on the Addy Awards. This time it was 13,000 entries narrowed down to over 1,000 with only 100 winning awards. You have to have a pretty good campaign to get that far. I have to admit, the ads I see in Texas Monthly look great.

Congratulations on a job well done.

April 26, 2011 at 9:26 p.m.
  • @fatboy...you beat me to it...thanks
    Ms. Bise campaign cost us $750,000 for her "Bring your boots campaign", why is she "amazed"... isn't this the type of recognition/excellence she should be thriving for?
    Granted, she is doing a good job with this campaign...HOWEVER, the proverbial question is...bring your boots to what...

April 26, 2011 at 8:16 p.m.
  • --Bridgette Bise, executive director of the Victoria Convention & Visitors Bureau, said she was amazed Victoria placed at the district level--

So am I Bridgette, so am I. Competition must have been pretty lame this year.

April 26, 2011 at 7:53 p.m.
  • GIVE ME A BREAK!!! The advertising is very poor and has nothing to do with Victoria.

April 26, 2011 at 7:47 p.m.