Comments

• "However, recently the company had a minimal spill at its current site on Laurent Street and Business U.S. Highway 59. Produced water shot in the air toward the highway on July 20, said plant manager Abel Almaguer."

"Accidents occur just like any business," Ivey said.

Hmm...

"Matt Coppersmith, railroad commission engineer, said the agency wouldn't approve a well without adequate protection." Railroad Commission also said that the half dozen water wells surrounding the uranium exploration site in Goliad County, which were overwhelmed by iron bacteria after 600 holes were punched into the aquifer, suffered because of natural occurrences.

Believe what you want to.

August 4, 2011 at 8:33 a.m.

August 4, 2011 at 7:54 a.m.
  • There is an alternative to this, and it's called "water recycling". A company called Fountain Quail is setting up shop in Kenedy right now which does exactly that...recycle produced and flowback water so that it doesn't have to be disposed of in this manner.

Mr. Janak referred to "our precious groundwater" in a previous related article. Well, this "produced" and flowback water started out being just that in most cases. Why not reuse it instead of shooting it down a deep hole?

Where is the waste water coming from and what does it cost to truck it here? Doesn't it make more sense economically and ecologically to recycle it?

Ebony09, you reckon there's a little bit of "frac fluid" in there somewhere? Also, which water well driller is being hired to drill this deep hole? I bet I could guess.

August 4, 2011 at 7:31 a.m.
  • Non-hazardous waste from oil and gas productions seems to me to be an oxymoron. If it is so, why not dump it into the regular landfill? Or by the corporate leader's homes? Where is it being dumped now and why an additional site? I would not want to be anywhere near there and especially my drinking well water!!! No wonder we have such a high cancer rate. Let's treat Mother Earth with respect and have a different solution to this challenge of oil, gas, coal, uranium, nuclear, etc. The technology is here, but the above corporations don't want it available because of their net profits. Keep the public in our rut of ignorance. Grassroots people are now finding solutions for our challenges, thank goodness.

August 4, 2011 at 7:17 a.m.
  • I believe I'd be getting my water well tested ASAP. San Antonio River Authority does onsite comprehensive water testing but it's a bit expensive. B-Environmental does basic testing with "Farm and Ranch" water test.

What if you were told that uranium mining fluids will be injected into your drinking water sands from 45 to 450 feet below the surface to release radioactive heavy metals. How would you feel about that? That's the topic of discussion this evening at the EPA meeting in Goliad.

August 4, 2011 at 7:03 a.m.
  • Maybe no problems but I sure hope the area residents like the smell of oil cause that is all I smell when I pass by their S Laurent site when the wind is blowing in the right direction not to mention traffic congestion from the trucks waiting in line to dispose of their waste.

August 3, 2011 at 11:29 p.m.