Comments

August 19, 2011 at 9:44 a.m.
  • Onlooker

I appreciate your point of view and I suggest to you, that you go to the city finance department and pay all of the taxes you would like to pay. I'm sure they will apprecite it.

August 18, 2011 at 5:48 p.m.
  • Amen JWilliams. That is exactly what I'm saying too. The current "boom", if you want to call it that, is almost all a result of Eagle Ford oil operations. In a down economy, however, that will all shut down and evaporate just like it did in 2008/2009 and many other times in the past.

You can't base your whole economic outlook on something as volatile as oil.

What so many people don't seem to understand is that selling bonds to fincance all these projects is just a tax on the future.

August 18, 2011 at 3:42 p.m.
  • Emett,

I hope there are others who can and will carry the message of conservative spending. I have not disappeared, I continue to pay attention. 3 months ago my mother was diagnosed with cancer and this has become the focus of my time. As I write this I am sitting in a waiting room at MD Anderson as she prepares for surgery next week.

I continue to see the debt burden on local taxpayers increase almost monthly. Every citizen needs to look at what the projected debt service (amount of dollars required to pay current portion of debt) is for 2018. This number continues to grow and either the tax base is going to have to SIGNIFICANTLY grow or the tax rate will.

I am not opposed to a fair and equitable tax rate IF the dollars are being spent wisely.

I cannot justify in my mind spending millons to build new parks (and creating the maintenance costs that go on forever) when basics like streets are a much greater need. I have a problem with picking a site for a waste treatment plant that was totally unacceptable several years ago but becomes the ONLY acceptable location after the land price increased substantially. I have a problem with dollars being spent "in anicipation" of closing a street in Woodway when the final outcome was the street was left as it is. I have a problem with building unneeded parking lots in Riverside Park when their PRIMARY use will be to benefit a private business of "friends" of council members.

There continues to be, in my opinion, a substantial waste of tax dollars and at the same time the level of debt continues to grow. Citizens of Victoria you need to raise the issues before it is too late.

Anyone see the markets (stock, oil, etc.) today and how they are reacting to the global economy? Someone mentioned earlier that several in "leadership" believe "Victoria exists in its own little bubble of prosperity that is not affected by what happens in the rest of the world". This is a dangerous mindset that is going to cost taxpayers if the debt load continues to increse.

August 18, 2011 at 10:47 a.m.
  • I don't have a problem paying the current tax rate. Cutting the tax rate 1.5 cents would save me what, 20 or 30 per year? I would even be okay if it raised 1.5 or 2 cents.

Hopefully the current rate would allow the city to continue to replace the horrible streets condition as they are with Sam Houston, Red River, etc., that have been neglected by pin headed city fathers for years past. And also fix the old delicate water pipes that break daily and make for a street being blocked at one play or another, provide adequate emergency services, etc.

I read recently where Victoria runs out of ambulances daily. Only four ambulances for a City of 70,000 + , 120,000 including the county? We really need to get with the times folks.

August 18, 2011 at 8:32 a.m.
  • Just one question.

Does the government work for the people or do the people work for the government?

August 18, 2011 at 7:30 a.m.
  • On Aug. 6,2011 the mayor wrote an op-ed letter to the Advocate (it still appears on the Viewpoints, your view, page). He requested that the city council vote unanimously for maintaining the 65 cent rate, as opposed to the effective rate of 63.5 cents. From that point on, it was a 'done deal'.

The mayor has an automatic 4 to 3 majority on the council that will always vote his way. 4 to 3 ... 5 to 2 ... 6 to 1 ... 7 to 0 ... it really doesn't matter. Get ready to pay the 65 cent rate that the mayor wants.

As implied in his letter ... Victoria exists in its own little bubble of prosperity that is not affected by what happens in the rest of the world. Apparently the mayor believes that ... no one here is invested in the stock market, no one has a problem getting a raise from his employer, no one is searching for more than 1.5% interest on their CDs, all the businesses here have ever increasing sales and profits. The assumption seems to be that if you are lucky enough to live in Victoria you never have to make a choice about what you can and can not afford ... you can just buy everything your heart desires. (We should let the rest of the world in on our secret)

This time around, just get ready to pay the higher rate. The time to "wake-up", the time to "take a stand", the time to "fight" is when the next election comes around.

August 18, 2011 at 5:01 a.m.
  • It's time to cut city spending and lower the tax rate, if city council dares. The city tax rate should be lowered to give Victoria taxpayers relief. Fees, rates, new fees, at the city, continue to go up, and all other costs across the city are going up: gasoline, food, utilities, fines, taxes, rent, retail, eating-out, and beer, etc.

Almost all taxing entities are raising taxes, giving raises, spending on items that are wants and not needs. The city should help its citizens by lowering the tax rate to its effective tax rate (63.5 cents per $100 valuation).

I hear Victoria is poised to explode with growth. I am not convinced. Projections, crystal balls, and clowns indicate a carnival is coming. But seriously, where is all this growth coming from? Why, when, and what economic analysis is this economic explosion and impact to city growth being generated from?

Last time the oil field impacted this community, in the 80s, Victoria went into a economic nose dive.

Jeff Williams, Matt Oeker, Russell Pruitt, edithann, Tea Party loyalist, Victoria conservatives, et al, where are you guys? Wake-up. It's time to take a stand before its too late. Your tax and spend city council thinks your not paying attention, or have you given up the fight to the ringmaster at the dais?

August 17, 2011 at 9:41 p.m.