Comments

• Lord knows some people on these boards need those mental health services. Paranoia is a nasty problem.

December 8, 2011 at 9:53 a.m.
  • Zero--

I guess the Chamber didn't get your memo that they are not into health issues.

From the Victoria Chamber of Commerce website:

"For more information about sponsoring the 2011 Health-A-Rama, please call Christine Blain at the chamber office at 361-573-5277..."

December 8, 2011 at 9:02 a.m.
  • No, I don't think that the chamber of commerce has anything to do with health issues. I think it has everything to do with promoting business interests in Victoria -- their own business interests. Why don't you check their charter and see for yourself. Ms. Calle Fromme is now the chair of a large national group representing lumber dealers -- does she have a responsibility to provide mental health in Victoria? Her organization is much larger than the local chamber of commerce.

December 8, 2011 at 8:44 a.m.
  • You don't think that the Chamber, as a huge group, in their quest to exemplify all that is good about Victoria, would be a driving force in getting the lost emergency mental health services restored?

We hear how wonderful it is that we now have freshmen students in out town, and it is. But--when that young student has a 'freak out' over a poor grade, or a broken romance or whatever else young folks freak over, and is far from their family support system--what are they to do?

Are we to think that everyone connected to CAT is never going to need emergency mental health services? That would be amazing if it were true.

I guess what struck a nerve with me is that we can't hear the folks who need help asking for it for all the noise about how freaking fantastic Victoria is!

We have fabulous sidewalks downtown. But we have no emergency mental health services.

Sales tax revenues are up and we can spend money for all sorts of stuff. But we have no emergency mental health services.

We are faring better than the rest of the nation economically, and thank God we are because we have no emergency mental health services.

The county didn't step up and demand better when David Brown closed the psych ward.

The city didn't step up and demand better when David Brown closed the psych ward.

The editorial board of the Victoria Advocate didn't step up and demand better when David Brown closed the psych ward.

I guess I am just hoping the next big cheerleading squad for Victoria might feel compelled to address this. Is this their business? I think so. I believe it is the Chamber that hosts a huge health fair every year. Yes, mental health is health , too.

Rather sad to think that all those folks who believe Victoria is so progressive and always on the 'cusp of great things' doesn't recognize what a lack of emergengy mental health care means to a community.

That's what a Chamber has to do with providing emergency mental health care.

December 7, 2011 at 9:36 p.m.
  • OK, I'll bite: What does the chamber of commerce have to do with providing mental health services?

December 7, 2011 at 8:50 p.m.
  • "We're going to refocus, review what we're doing and we're going to make sure that what the chamber does gives true value to everybody here in Victoria," he said."

I look forward to Mr. Chapman and the Chamber providing that 'true value' by taking the lead on restoring the much need emergency mental health services to the Victoria. Those services are vital to the overall health of our community.

December 7, 2011 at 7:46 p.m.