Home » 2011 Bring Your Boots ads unveiled » Unverified Comments

Comments

• Your movie idea isn't something new. Cowboy Smoke was shot in and around Victoria a few years back. www.imdb.com/title/tt0795362/

February 12, 2011 at 9:35 a.m.
  • BS Spotter.

My apologies. I would spell out the community’s rural appearance and nearby bodies of water etc. Yes I private citizen can be a leader.

February 12, 2011 at 2:26 a.m.
  • Writein,

My question wasn't rhetorical. I wanted to know what such an invitation would spell out to a movie producer. I'm not saying such a gesture from a public official would necessarily be a bad thing. And can a private citizen be a leader?

February 12, 2011 at 2:07 a.m.
  • Bs Spotter.

Use your imagination it is not that hard .Can a private party do it yes, but if I were a Chair of the chamber of commerce, a mayor, or even county judge, I use it as to way to help own community. A public blessing can go a long way.

You are so hook on libertainism that you forgetting the purpose of what the job of a leader of a town or county.

February 11, 2011 at 11:37 p.m.
  • Writein,

What would that invitation say, and is it something a private party could do?

February 11, 2011 at 10 p.m.
  • BS Spotter.

Slow down, slow down. I am not talk about a huge financial incentive. A cost of a sheet of paper, an envelope and a postal stamp is needed to invite movie producers.

February 11, 2011 at 5:50 p.m.
  • Writein,

You're onto a great idea, but you're asking the wrong people to make the most of it. We can't start offering financial incentives to movie producers. They have to recognize some value in filming in the area, like unique geography or the relative cost of filming here.

Austin developed a film-making niche because of the creative culture and great urban & rural landscapes. I think word will travel to those in Austin that there are places in our area in which to film. They're constantly filming in their surrounding communities. Back in the late-90s when I was still living in Austin, I was one of 1,500-2,000 extras that sat in the stands of Lockhart's football stadium for about 12 hours while they were filming scenes on the field for Robert Rodriguez's "The Faculty". I think we'll get some natural trickle down eventually, if it's not already happening. It need not cost the taxpayers a dime.

February 11, 2011 at 5:12 p.m.
  • justataxpayer.

Thank you. I mean where is the common sense in Victoria? You have two movies within the past two or three years being film or have been filmed. Can't one member of the city council, county commissioner and even the state Rep look at it and say "mmmmmmmmmm Lets capitalize on that for improving local economics".

February 11, 2011 at 4:51 p.m.

February 11, 2011 at 1:28 p.m.
  • BS Spotter.

AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!! If any of the city’s leader have any sense, they would use a small (key word: Small) investment to attractive indy film makers. Far as I know there are least two or three movies filmed within the Crossroads area. That would encourage people to come to Victoria for film festivals and the like. You know like a Sundance of the South.

February 10, 2011 at 7:33 a.m.
  • Legion--you're cracking me up!

February 9, 2011 at 6:36 p.m.
  • Togo? or not togo?

That is the question.

February 9, 2011 at 6:12 p.m.
  • pat murf, plenty of jobs other parts of the country, maybe you should move away from victoria ?

February 9, 2011 at 5:03 p.m.
  • Pat_Murph--

Did you get the job?

February 9, 2011 at 12:53 p.m.
  • Pat_Murf,

I'm sure José Méndez-Naya will appreciate your citation of his abstract. I wonder if his thesis touches on how an oligopoly is a natural tendency of a central-planning oligarchy, especially one wishing to maintain the illusion of an unfettered market while actually creating a consolidating environment.

What was the nature of the economy in Togo? I suppose it was a self-destructive free-for-all that could have thrived if only an omniscient planner could manage it and stifle cronyism.

Thanks for your contribution to our village.

February 9, 2011 at 9:54 a.m.
  • Regarding organic job kreatshun......

We analyse merger profitability in a mixed-oligopoy Cournot model. The “merger paradox” is qualified by showing that there are profitable gains for the firms participating in a horizontal merger that is not a merger to a monopoly. In particular, it is shown that merger sustainability depends on both, the privatization degree of the mixed firm and the number of non-merging firms.

February 9, 2011 at 9:24 a.m.
  • Writein,

You and I might disagree on what "focus on jobs" means, but I'm sure we can agree that the environment for organic, sustainable job creation shouldn't be hampered by taxes that fund ill-conceived tourist schemes. If the city wants to expand our economy, it should strictly focus on the universal infrastructure needed for commerce. Taxes on business travelers that trickle down to local businesses is not sound economic policy.

If Victorians want movies to be made in the area, they should support them privately through direct investment or the donation of time and resources. One of those horror films received clearance to shoot on someone's ranch for free, which might have cost them a chunk of change elsewhere.

Governments don't create anything, people do. When govt does too much, people become complacent. If we want Victoria to be a tourist destination, private investors should make it so. As it is, it's not a tourist-friendly city, so why tax & spend to promote it as a tourist destination. Why not reduce the burden on businesses and make it a business destination... and not just for mega-companies? Small business is the heart & soul of every community, so it should be allowed to flourish.

February 9, 2011 at 8:53 a.m.
  • BS Spotter,

You are right. If Victoria's city fathers have any sense they should in my opinion focus on jobs, jobs jobs, and yes jobs. There is also another opporunity. Movies. How many independently made horror movies were filmed in or around Victoria within the past five years?

February 9, 2011 at 5:54 a.m.
  • justataxpayer said: "What are you getting to BSspotter?......"

That perhaps there are unintended consequences to this tax-n-promote scheme. Could we be undermining an important part of our economy to artificially prop up another? These factors never seem to play into the decisions. Beware the eternal folly of the economic planner.

February 8, 2011 at 11:20 p.m.
  • Does anyone else see a problem/contradiction in taxing people who bring their work boots to Victoria on business & stay in our hotels/motels in order to pay for an ad campaign that tells other people to bring their recreational boots? Does anyone really think the tax on business lodgers doesn't get passed onto Victorians despite being told Victorians don't pay that tax, or have you accepted all of this at face value? Which boots are more vital to our economy — work or play?

February 8, 2011 at 8:33 p.m.
  • EdithAnn said: "What I haven’t quite figured out is why folks are so willing to accept an almost dictatorial style of governance on the local level while screaming bloody murder about someone they call a Nazi in Washington?"

I'm also puzzled by this. We have local elected officials who align themselves with a small-govt political party and/or movement while practicing big-govt principles and extracting every possible "free" Federal dollar available. If more of them would simply do what they say and say what they do, we would have far less to be frustrated about. Is it too much to ask to have less hypocrisy in govt?

February 8, 2011 at 8:41 a.m.
  • justataxpayer—excellent summation of the situation here. The frustration with the City and the County governments just continues to grow, and what I am finding interesting is how much chatter there is around town expressing the same frustrations. Just go sit somewhere while you get your oil changed, and sooner or later someone in the waiting area will bring the topic up!

What I haven’t quite figured out is why folks are so willing to accept an almost dictatorial style of governance on the local level while screaming bloody murder about someone they call a Nazi in Washington? The closest I have come to an explanation is that we are not personally acquainted with those in D. C., but we are personal friends with those in Victoria. I guess those who engage in this sort of thinking just don’t see the conflict in their attitudes.

Whatever the explanation is, if you are one of those who are not pleased with the current regime on either level, just remember that when you go to vote. Your vote counts, and you can say more with your vote than you ever can here on this forum.

We have the City election in May, 2012 where District 1 Councilwoman Denise Rangel, District 2 Councilman Gabriel Soliz, District 3 Councilman Paul Polasek and District 4 Councilman David Hagen are all up for reelection should they choose to run again.

At the County level, Commissioner Pct. 1, Kenny Spann and Commissioner Pct. 3, Gary Burns will be up for reelection, first in the March primary, and then, possibly in the November 2012 general election.

Now, not March 2012 or May 2012 , is when each of you need to be deciding if you are going to continue the status quo, or if you are going to be part of the change. If you don’t vote, you forfeit your right to complain.

February 8, 2011 at 8:07 a.m.
  • @justataxpayer: It seems you walk softly and carry a big stick.
    You state people don't want to go down to city hall on Tuesday... why?
    VA Jan 8,2009: "People don't want to come down here to be beat up like you've done to Mr. Pruitt," Williams said. "That's why you're not getting input from the public."
    He also said he's been watching city council meetings in person or on the city's cable channel for eight or nine months and found Mayor Will Armstrong to be condescending. "He's very rude or very inconsiderate of anybody whose opinion doesn't agree with his," Williams said.
    Boots campaign to promote Victoria...I'm still listening and can't find the correlation.
    You have presented some very fine points and I feel your consensus is we're beating a dead horse to death.
    @holeinone: As your comment was a starting statement, I took it as a directive. As your closing statement was we were losing "focus" I felt it necessary to remind us the comment made by Ms. Bise.
    Yes, I strongly agree, "symptom of growing frustration"

February 8, 2011 at 12:19 a.m.
  • Just make sure that the vets don't wear their boots, since the Korean War Vets were snubbed by Bise. Guess Vets don't count in her book.

February 7, 2011 at 3:39 p.m.
  • el69 and whoever else...

my comment about home's vast knowledge of stupid was not an insult. it was a direct commentary on his use of the word multiple times.

i don't work for the city, county, chamber, vedc, cvb, etc. i've stated more than few times in the past that i don't care for the campaign concept. however, i do support the marketing of this city and the efforts to increase tourism, out of town dollars being spent in victoria, expanded businesses, etc.

i'm sure that you all care about the success and growth of victoria, but it seems that you are more concerned with mocking, degrading, or insulting the concept rather than supporting the effort. prove me wrong.

February 7, 2011 at 11:27 a.m.
  • OMG! WTF! I can say no more!

February 7, 2011 at 5:06 a.m.
  • Oh, and thanks for reading my blog ;)

February 5, 2011 at 5:38 p.m.
  • Well Lamp, mine wasn't a mistake, it was on purpose. If you want to admit the same, I'll take your word for it.

February 5, 2011 at 5:37 p.m.
  • saran wrap is not funny. peoplo could msuffocate

February 5, 2011 at 3:38 p.m.
  • By the way...to disagree with someones posts/comments you don't need to "attack, degrade, humiliate" or "you sure do know a lot about stupid". I'm sure each one of us is concern how much of our tax payers money is going into this project and just don't understand the returns we are given. Please enlighten us. just saying

February 5, 2011 at 10:47 a.m.
  • @Holein 1...you stated: "Many of you are so focused on the fact that it's a boot that you fail to get the message".
    Please let me finish what Saltgrass had posted...
    "The Victoria Boot is the biggest part of this campaign," bureau director Bridgette Bise said. "It brings the campaign full circle and gives the citizens something they can purchase locally to be the 'walking brand' of this community as well as a great souvenir for visitors to leave the city with".
    I also review prior articles the VA runs...So if Ms. Bise makes this kind of comment, why should we lose focus that the boot is her main promotion?

February 5, 2011 at 10:35 a.m.
  • Most of the local hotel rooms are occupied, not with vacationers, but with out of town IT people and oil field people.

February 5, 2011 at 8:48 a.m.
  • sorry...*be* smarter

February 4, 2011 at 9:12 p.m.
  • Pat, I think your talents would be put to better use on the City Council....you seem to better smarter & have a better grasp of reality than most of them, especially that little guy who supposedly represents the NorthCrest area.

February 4, 2011 at 9:11 p.m.
  • Do tell, Pat! What position could you have applied for over at Hope of South Texas? I had you figured for more of a technical kind of guy. Something very precise, perhaps in the computer field. Say software or systems? You might check at Aloe Soft in case the Hope of South Texas thing doesn't pan out. They may have an opening.

Gosh, I had you figured all wrong, didn't I? My bad!

February 4, 2011 at 8:30 p.m.
  • legsion, i do not want to make enimies. i am only trying to discuss these issues here.

i am excited! i have a job interview at hope of south tx monday! looking forward to putting my skills to work. i just want to earn my way and pay taxes, i do not want mty taxes wasted, just like you.

February 4, 2011 at 8:10 p.m.
  • N45BA--

There are plenty of folks who aren't thrilled with the boots. In fact, several of us discuss this ever so often over at another location. We have actual discussion. Your comments would be appreciated there.

February 4, 2011 at 6:40 p.m.
  • Oh I read all of them, I was waiting to see if anyone else would catch Lamps goof.

But you know, people just have to root root root for the home team, no matter if it's right or wrong.

February 4, 2011 at 6:36 p.m.
  • Exactly... lol, to funny

February 4, 2011 at 6:12 p.m.
  • lesion357 i do not no what Agent provocateur. means. when i google it dirty pictures come up. why do you mock me. i am only agreeing with most peeples here. victoria nd all its leaders are corrupt. edit, thanks yu. my picture is from mu guvernment id from togo.

February 4, 2011 at 6:06 p.m.
  • I thought I had it right, the State of Texas receives 6% of taxable Hotel/Motel receipts, the City of Victoria receives 1%, 6+1= 7 don't you know.

February 4, 2011 at 6:01 p.m.
  • And where in the world is this $3M number coming from?

I guess, some one is equating the total taxable receipts as the amount of tax paid.

To use that logic, some one wants a 100% HOT tax and for not one penny of it to go to the state, let Ms. Bise spend it all to promote boots.

February 4, 2011 at 5:53 p.m.
  • Pat_Murf= Agent provocateur.

It's as simple as that, and not even a very good job of it.

February 4, 2011 at 5:48 p.m.
  • I didn't email you. I posted it on your wall. I said your schtick is wearing thin. But nice stock photo though. There, discuss away.

February 4, 2011 at 5:47 p.m.
  • edathann why do u email me and say i am wearing you thin? just post here so we can ll be in good open diskussion.

i think you are usually right anyway. victoria and and all it leaders are bad.

humeintx, you may be right, i know the city is racking up gianut debt, i have heard they have no money left. this economy is horrible. lets not forget the band of homles hippies that passed thrugh weeks ago. they probaly left cause taxes were to high or some guvernment leader complained and the village peace keepers ran them out.

February 4, 2011 at 5:37 p.m.
  • it is typically understood that it is a very good thing for our cities and governments to have more money (positive cash flow) than they owe. It is normal for cities to set aside monies for intrest bearing loans, bonds, etc. and then apply those specific monies to specific liabilities such as schools, public maintence, arts, parks....

We want a city that has money set aside. Once a city starts dipping into our monies set aside in savings we are in trouble. Right now, Victoria is on a tight budget. Instead of cutting spending (it appears to me) they want to raise taxes. I think this is why they are so psyched about this new marketing campaign for Victoria events and tourisim destinations. Some people in the Chamber convinced the City that this was a shooin for tourist tax $$.

Honestly, if I want to go see a show, hit a polo match, see historic places, visit a museum I just go north, west, east, or over seas. I would never consider Victoria, and none of my friends would. Especially if the Comfort inn or the Holiday inn are booked, like they usually are, months in advance because they are the only decent places to stay in Victoria (really, look up the hotel ratings on travel sites!)

February 4, 2011 at 5:26 p.m.
  • justataxpayer--you really think Lucchese came to Victoria? I betcha Victoria went to Lucchese. I think that plane went west...

February 4, 2011 at 5:22 p.m.
  • mustataxpayer is rite on!

these funds should be retruned to the people! in togo the guvernment always made a profit, it was shared with us. i have haerd the village guvernment here is running giant deficits. sumone told me they spend sevral hundred millioin more than they collect!

what is boomdoggle?

February 4, 2011 at 4:56 p.m.
  • homintx said it right! ALL the hotels in victoria are aweful! I hate them to. txpayer is right! all taxes should be remuved. we dont need anything!

this is outrage! thesse monies should be used for roads or sumthing!

lamplight you are carzy!

bsplotter said it right jeff williams will stop all of this madness! jeff willoiams for village leader! no debt, no taxes , no nothing!

February 4, 2011 at 4:44 p.m.
  • @ holein1,
    since you seem to enjoy being negative and rude in not only this topic thread but others I have read, and made a point of being specifically rude to me on this one, I will make my reply very clear to you, and then ignore your behaivor from here on:

go back to your golfing or ostrich-like tendencies. The mental easiness of such activities are much better suited for you.

I clearly and sarcastically spelled out why the whole marketing of the Victory Chamber of Commerce is dumb; not in any way targeting anyone in my comment. Yet you take offense? For you to say that you think the public "still doesn't get it (the Chamber's marketing campaign)" proves how uneducated, untraveled, unthinking you are. Wow. What a wonderful way of setting yourself up to look great. (That was me being sarcastic, btw.)

Why are you wasting your time defending it anyway? You appear too wrapped up in your own little social club to be anywhere near in touch with your fellow Victorians as you should be. If you are a part of this marketing campaign in any way, you should keep your comments to yourself. Read and learn. Get a feel for how the public perceives this topic. Stay unemotional.

As for your reply to me;
    If you want to say something to me, say it to my face instead of hiding behind a blog. Everyone here would appreciate your eliteness to leave the comment boxes as blank as your head.

February 4, 2011 at 4:18 p.m.
  • holein1: "BS-Once again you have taken multiple paragraphs to not answer the original questions. I will restate them if needed."

hole, if you didn't conclude that I think the whole thing is a flawed premise and can't ever net an "effective" result, then I can say no more to get this across to you. We're lying to ourselves if we try to measure the positives without weighing the full extent of the negatives.

February 4, 2011 at 3:49 p.m.
  • home- you sure do know a lot about stupid.

I don't like the concept of the campaign either, but even I will concede that the purpose of the concept is to show that just like there are many types of boots, there are many different types of things to do in Victoria and the area.

Many of you are so focused on the fact that it's a boot that you fail to get the message.

February 4, 2011 at 3:41 p.m.
  • Hmm, I never new Port O'C had so many places that pay a HOT tax..

For a look at the amount the state says is collected go to

The first city or town (3rd Column) is where the owners are located, the second city or town (6th Column) is where the hotel/motel is located.

February 4, 2011 at 3:33 p.m.
  • BS-Once again you have taken multiple paragraphs to not answer the original questions. I will restate them if needed.

Taxpayer- YAWN. I say again, you made your point about hating taxes. Until you can convince the rest of us that there are absolutly no benefits from taxes and every single on is evil, then we are going to have them.

February 4, 2011 at 3:13 p.m.
  • Sister Einstein--

3 million is about average for what? A large corporation? A town with 63,000 folks? And you say, "And as far as what my vision would be, I don't know, I'm not an advertising expert."

You have no vision, no idea of what you'd like to see, and yet, your view is "...the facts have shown that she is doing a superb job." What facts? Enlighten us. Remove the veil so that we may see, too.

February 4, 2011 at 3 p.m.
    -----------------------------
    Most of the hotels here are underutilized because they are so run down and disqusting. Hotels here are used by local workers and plant visitors, meaning that the local businesses pass that expense back to the locals!!!
    If you want visitors to Victoria, get rid of the tax.

As for an ad campaign for Victoria that will work I have one; it's easy to figure out, we have so much freekin sunshine here,
    *Victoria; fun in the sun* should be the slogan.
    My campaign idea:

Fun in the Victoria sun as the slogan with pictures of smiling people:
    jumping, skating, kyaking, golfing, swimming, bball playing, running, biking, shopping, dancing, drinking, picnicing.....

how freekin easy was that?

Now when you use my *Fun in the Victoria Sun* campaign I expect kickbacks! Just like the City expects kickbacks for using the City Emblem on those boots they and their friends are buying for the Chamber to save face.

February 4, 2011 at 2:57 p.m.
  • first of all, when I think boots, I think:
    -country,
    -horse and cow fecal matter
    -hay rides
    -cowboys
    -muddy terrain
    -wilderness
    -square dancing. Who would want an image like country boots when the average city person would never think of anything else but the above brainstorm?

And then the billboard on 77 with Port Lavaca sporting Boots, long before Victoria ever did. A town on the water.... *shakes head*

I don't wear boots (cowboy boots), I never will. This country cowboy boot ad campaign for Victoria is uninspiring and dumb. Let me clearly explain it to the people who came up with it and are really pushing it, wasting our $$$:

STUPID + Stupid = STUPID

cowboy boots are unsophisticated + trying to equate cowboy boots with sophisticated art and history of Victoria = STUPID

THIS IS a very STUPID ad campaign if a BOOT is suppossed to attract tourists to Victoria by making one think of museums, the zoo, music, and historic homes. *rolls eyes* Do you understand yet? It's illogical.

Victoria is NOT a boot city at all. Let's give this ad campaign the boot.

February 4, 2011 at 2:39 p.m.
  • holein1 said: "How would you suggest that we gauge the effectiveness of the campaign? How do you suggest that we gauge which part of the campaign to have the most influence on the success/failure?"

It would be a good start to have a message that has potential to be effective. Since marketing is loaded with subjectivity, it's critical to present something to the outside world that has a critical-mass community buy-in. The Boots campaign has minimal buy-in (strong rejection) from the community.

Look no further than Jeff's comment for a more accurate method of measuring effectiveness. Using a 2009 baseline is a blatant rig. It's likely this campaign's effectiveness can never be measured, which makes its windfall budget seem unfeasible.

Then there's the broader issue of whether it's (in)effective to tax people to come to Victoria. What are the unseen ramifications of taxing the businesses that stay in our hotels/motels? As someone who stays out of town on business, I'm fully aware that lodging expenses get passed onto to the customer, which are our local businesses in this case. So, it's conceivable that the hotel tax is an added cost for our local businesses, which gets passed onto us. And we're supposed to believe only out-of-towners pay this tax. This scheme represents the age-old delusion that we can harness & manipulate an economy while, in reality, nothing will attract people to Victoria like the fruits of an unbridled, unburdened economy.

February 4, 2011 at 1:45 p.m.
  • "3 million isn't really a lot of money, in the overall scheme."

Are you running for Mayor? You have the same mentality.

February 4, 2011 at 1:10 p.m.
  • Keep up , holein1. It's the Good Sister giving Bise all the credit.

February 4, 2011 at 12:13 p.m.
  • Edith - "To give Bise credit for the total increase is hardly fair to Andrea Blomberg who has worked hard to enhance the zoo." Agreed, but I don't think anyone is giving Bise total credit. "Although she couldn't definitively say it was because of the campaign, Blomberg said she suspected it helped."

BS-How would you suggest that we gauge the effectiveness of the campaign? How do you suggest that we gauge which part of the campaign to have the most influence on the success/failure?

N45 - Thanks for posting the occupancy percentages. You failed to list the actual number of hotel/motel rooms. There are a number of new hotels/motels that have been built between 2003 and present. Not a fair depiction in my opinion. If the occupancy rate is say 50% for a town with 1,000 rooms. If they build another 500 rooms and yet the occupancy rate is still 50%, would you say there has been an increase?

Taxpayer-We all get that you hate taxes. If you are not actually paying this tax, then I think you should kindly move along with your rhetoric. You don't bring anything new to these conversations.

February 4, 2011 at 11:52 a.m.
  • Good Sister Einstein--

You are in favor of a 3 Million dollar advertising budget.

Could you break it down for the rest of us as to how you would spend that budget.

I don't think I am the only one who thinks that's an exorbitant amount of money, but I think it could be a real eye-opener for the rest of us if we had an idea of your vision.

Thanks!

February 4, 2011 at 11:05 a.m.
  • I think Jeff Williams said it best early last year:
    "In addition I suggested the baseline for measuring success should not be 2009, the lowest hotel tax receipts in four years, rather another year that was middle ground. My point was improvement in tax receipts will be seen without any marketing program just because the economy was down in 2009. History tells me that when improvement is seen it will be associated with this marketing program rather then acknowledge the true market conditions of an improving economy. A false sense of success without measurable results is not beneficial. If you can't measure it, you can't manage it."

(Source: www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/you-... )

February 4, 2011 at 10:58 a.m.
  • For the stuff they're throwing at us, you're gonna need some boots..But I wouldn't advise $500-$700 boots to walk in it..

February 4, 2011 at 10:22 a.m.
  • Sister Einstein--

Do you really believe an average of 40 MORE folks a day visited the zoo? I don't . Unless the average daily attendance was zero.

What was the average daily attendance prior to the campaign (and the new management and spruce up of the zoo)? To give Bise credit for the total increase is hardly fair to Andrea Blomberg who has worked hard to enhance the zoo.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great. I like the zoo. I just think folks around these parts have gotten very comfortable inflating the numbers on a lot of issues to make their point. Show me REAL data, and I'm on board. That's all I'm asking. I need more than Bridgette Bise smiling at the Mayor while she tell him everything is wonderful!

February 4, 2011 at 9:32 a.m.
  • Well, Sister Einstein, stuff could seem clear when you do not have both eyes to balance the perception. Sadly, though, it is usually a skewed perception. However, those of us with good vision know what we see, and what we haven't seen.

The 2009 receipts--can we really count these since the campaign was not in place at that time? No, we can't. But nice try.

For most of 2010, we're going to have the same problem.

On the other hand, based upon what you have posted here, we would be led to believe that the tax receipts were $0.00 prior to this camapaign, we know that is not correct.

There is a way to make an educated estimate on the effectiveness of the campaign. That is what we need to see.

February 4, 2011 at 9:19 a.m.
  • Alberta also had "Bring Your Boots" before Bise and Co. thought of it...

February 4, 2011 at 9:03 a.m.
  • I'm sure there has to be data available about the hotel stays...busiest times of the week/months, to track if it's business travelers/oil workers or actual weekend tourists. The oil boom in & around DeWitt County has got to be trickling into Victoria as there aren't a whole lot of rooms in the smaller towns.

The "hail mary" was in response to your football remarks & your new pic...I found it rather amusing myself.

February 3, 2011 at 11:52 p.m.
  • So, Lamppost, tell us--how much of a return have we seen on the the $750,000.00 investment in Bise's project? I'm guessing you have seen some figures since you have decided we're 'winning'.

One of the things that seems to be consistently missing from presentations, reports and news stories is actual REAL figures. Some of us who feel that this is not our best investment might be persuaded otherwise if we saw some real figures.

Allison Miles, Chris Cobler and all--how hard would it be to get some real figures for us? How much is being spent and where, and then what we are seeing as a result. So far, all the information is being filtered through Bise's spin on her project. She has to report that things are great or she risks losing money from our very generous city council. But it's not her fault they are not requiring outcome measures and expenditure reports.

February 3, 2011 at 10:47 p.m.
  • This slogan is just not a good fit for Victoria. The real place for this campaign would be Fort Worth, it is after all Cowtown. Bise could also modify the slogan for other cities. Corpus could have the bring your shaved head and neck tattoos slogan, San Antonio could do the bring your Saturday night special slogan, and of course Austin, the bring your bong campaign. At this point I don't have a clue what would be a good slogan for Victoria. Maybe the bring your stores back to the Mall campaign!

February 3, 2011 at 9:58 p.m.
  • Lampost don't you mean a "hail mary"?

February 3, 2011 at 9:43 p.m.
  • Lamppost--Your comment would be so sad if it weren't so funny!

GRANDPA, yeah, the cart before the horse is right.

Pilot--You're not familiar with our one afternoon of polo museum fundraiser? The one that puts hundreds of heads in beds? It's kind of like the one afternoon CzechFest that puts hundreds of heads in beds, just without the Polka Bands and kolaches.

February 3, 2011 at 8:36 p.m.
  • BS, justa, and N45 have this one pegged. The socialites that put their stamp on this have missed on some very key points. The first was that the "decision" to "invest" in this venture was made from a wishful and idealistic premise that we will all just join hands to volunteer and support the leadership's decision. People are a lot smarter than that, especially when so many have difficulty in seeing where this is going. "Boots" just doesn't fit our town.

To make something like this successful, the planners need to get to work on a scope that highlights what binds our community together. I would guess that we have two or three predominant cultural influences in Victoria from which some common interest and efforts can be drawn that would provide the foundation for setting up an annual event and tourist draw. I think that having such an event that has a venue of food, music, and friendly competition would bring folks from far and wide. One would have to then ask what facilitities would be necessary to suit the expected crowds. We are likely 10 years behind our neighbors in Lavaca, Gonzales, and Jackson counties in that department.

Just what is there so popular in Victoria to wear or buy boots for? I'll suggest they take a good hard look at this venture, because many like myself just don't see the broad-based enthusiasm or where the facilities are to get it done. Kinda like "getting the cart before the horse".

February 3, 2011 at 8:28 p.m.
  • The only way this could be MORE flawed is if the County participated in this money bleed. Hell, I'm sure the only reason Gary Burns isn't pushing to get on board with this is that he needs to make sure there is money for the County to buy flooring from Raines Brick and Tile.

February 3, 2011 at 7:33 p.m.
  • The reason for my curiosity on this subject is the amount of money spent to promote "The Victoria Boot is the biggest part of the Campaign":
    1. Bise unveiled the 2011 Bring Your Boots advertisements to about 60 people Tuesday at the Victoria Economic Development Corp.'s Victoria Partnership meeting...I believe these people are directly involved or strongly support this campaign.
    2. The lady I talked to stated...We have sold over a "dozen" pair.
    3. This tells me less than 1/5 of these "die hard" supporters really believe or support this campaign.
    4. Seeing that these boots have become a large issue surrounding the "Bring Your Boots advertisements" it seems more of the 60 supporters would be wearing their own "pitch".
    5. I'm sure Lucchese consulted with Ms. Bridgette Bise and City officials to set the price on these boots.
    6. Ms. Bise said "It brings (the boots) the campaign full circle and gives the citizens something they can purchase.
    7. NOW..the citizens say the price is too expensive...

February 3, 2011 at 7:32 a.m.
  • Saltgrass, that sounds like the lady I spoke with a week ago Tuesday. She was most helpful and said 'a few' pair had been sold, more men's than women's. I asked if it was less than 20 pairs, and she said it was.

So, Allison Miles--how about you going to the store and speaking with Kelly High and getting an accurate number? Why would I like you to do that? Because it appears that someone is willing to fudge the numbers to create a favorable perception.

Geez--very much more of this sort of thing, and Victoria can become the fudge capital of Texas. Forget the boots! We're known for our fudge...with nuts.

February 2, 2011 at 8:28 p.m.
  • Today, Out of curiosity I called High-Brehm and asked for Kelly High. I was told he was busy, but the lady I talked to stated...We have sold over a "dozen" pair, most of the boots have been bought by members of the Victoria Chamber of Commerce. More men boots than women have been sold. Since the boots were "introduced at high noon on Nov. 16", I asked if this was a good selling item. The lady stated "due to the speciality and price", they were selling good.

February 2, 2011 at 8:17 p.m.
  • I just love most of the feedback on this article. I feel that the people trying to run this zoo should really be in it.

February 2, 2011 at 5:24 p.m.
  • @justataxpayer, I appreciate the kind words. I didn't know how to interpret that post, thanks for clarifying. Yes, Aesop's Fables are going to be a must for my children, I agree they are timeless! I didn't know "The Emperor's New Clothes" was a take off on his fables, which one was it? I know "The Emperor's..." has a history, just didn't know it went back to Aesop. Sounds like the makings of a great reading group!

Speaking of classics, I just downloaded Dante's Divine Comedy, my favorite, although it may be colder than Dante's hell right now!

February 2, 2011 at 4:29 p.m.
  • @justataxpayer, my post was what I observed at the meeting and my thoughts on the materials presented. Were you being facetious with "Jared's wonderful blog issued today?" It was hard for me to tell with the next paragraph that followed.

February 2, 2011 at 3:38 p.m.
  • Let's stop for a minute and think about why this city, with such rich history and proximity to man-made and natural resources, has remained relatively stagnant for so many years.

I don't know if the boots campaign is inspired or contrived. But I do think that if closed-minded, small-thinking naysayers continue to focus on discouragement rather than encouragement, progress may never be made.

The approach taken might not have been the most appropriate, but it's done. So now we must give this campaign the time it needs to succeed. If it fails (and the evidence so far is quite to the contrary), we can try something new.

February 2, 2011 at 12:05 p.m.
  • i completly agree with txpayer and bssplotter, the walk paths downtown were fine, the many millions spent of sidewalks has been an ourtage! the corruption is rampant, i'll bet all the councilmemebrs are benifiting some how as you have said. it must be! there is no way any of the other debt ridden projects were worth it. as i have spoken here before sam huston aand laurent were fine, there was no reason to rebuild thse streets. and dont get ne started on all the water and feces pipes. nothiing is wrong with thim. my water runs fine.

February 2, 2011 at 11:27 a.m.
  • Thank you Ms. Miles. What a very accurate number. It appears to be about 25 to 30 pair more than they had sold when I checked with the store a week ago.

Excellent comments BSspotter and justataxpayer.

February 2, 2011 at 11:06 a.m.
  • local hotels are full due to the o/g work in the area

has NOTHING to do with this wasteful campaign

February 2, 2011 at 11:06 a.m.
  • They announced at the meeting that, so far, between 30 and 35 pairs of boots have sold.

February 2, 2011 at 10:46 a.m.
  • thinksalot said: "The detractors here never cease to amaze me. And some in particular can always be counted on to criticize, no matter what the initiative. Please remember that the funds used to promote the city are raised by taxing visitors to the city."

The common crux of most "detractors'" arguments is that "Bring Your Boots" is one big misinformation campaign designed to misrepresent Victoria as a boot-centric/-crazed destination. (We also welcome shirts, shorts, pants, sneakers & flip-flops.) It fails to capture the essence & appeal of the region, which mainly lies in the bit of history we have in Victoria and the close vicinity to attractions in surrounding counties. (I could get behind something like "Explore the Crossroads" IF we were required to collect & spend this tax.**) The Boots campaign is FAKE and it insults our intelligence. We all want to take pride in Victoria, and it hurts to have someone who's not in-tune with the area promoting a charade on our behalves.

Does this really strike you as criticizing "no matter what"? Do you find merit in the Boots message? If so, please outline those merits.

**The City is not required to collect this tax, and its elimination/reduction would decrease the cost of outsiders visiting or doing business in Victoria. The tax is an economic contradiction.

February 2, 2011 at 9:42 a.m.
  • As mentioned:

February 2, 2011 at 9:37 a.m.
  • @Et al. For what's its worth, I recall they said about 30 pairs have been sold.

Regardless of where you may stand, Ms. Bise does a good job at presenting the campaign. I will blog today on it and try answer what I learned from the experience.

February 2, 2011 at 7:55 a.m.
  • The detractors here never cease to amaze me. And some in particular can always be counted on to criticize, no matter what the initiative. Please remember that the funds used to promote the city are raised by taxing visitors to the city.

February 2, 2011 at 7:07 a.m.
  • She's good. She can say all of that with a straight face.

February 2, 2011 at 6:57 a.m.
  • Just watched the video, did she really just say that one of the ads is a golfer putting on boots after golfing? Yeah, that's what I want to go check out when I go to a different town.

February 2, 2011 at 6:56 a.m.
  • You know, I could understand this ad if Victoria actually was a town that you needed to "bring your boots" (any kind of boots) to. We don't really having anything here to justify this. We don't need mountain boots for hiking, we only have a livestock show for what, 2 weeks out of the year? Please tell me what to do in this town after these boots have been brought? I can't really say that if I lived in a bigger town that your billboard ad would sway me to come here.

February 2, 2011 at 6:52 a.m.
  • "Mayor Will Armstrong also noted that both the city's sales tax and hotel/motel tax allocations saw recent increases. Like Blomberg, he said he couldn't pinpoint that the increases came from the campaign."

I don't know what quarter he is referring to, but...remember all those UHV freshmen housed in local motels until Jaguar Hall was ready?

February 2, 2011 at 6:50 a.m.
  • "It makes sense!". Spoken like a person who knows nothing about "cowtown" and how far removed from such is Victoria.

I saw the first such ad featuring Greg Hughes at Colony Creek. The pained expression on his face, along with the fact that he actually lives in Sugarland and has never been seen in Victoria County wearing any types of boots leads to to think this entire ad campaign is nothing more than BS.

February 2, 2011 at 12:48 a.m.
  • any estimates when this frivolous campaign will stop draining valuable $$$ ?

February 2, 2011 at 12:48 a.m.
  • Excellent question re: how many boots have been sold.

This would be a good follow up for Ms. Miles to do. Please call High-Brehm and ask Kelly High how the sales are going.

February 1, 2011 at 10:27 p.m.
  • Bise unveiled the 2011 Bring Your Boots advertisements to about 60 people Tuesday at the Victoria Economic Development Corp.'s Victoria Partnership meeting.
    I wonder how many of these folks were wearing any of the "three new boot designs made specifically for the city as part of its Bring Your Boots campaign"?

February 1, 2011 at 10:18 p.m.
  • I would be very interested to know how the sell of the boots is going.

February 1, 2011 at 10:09 p.m.
  • I went to this morning's meeting. The presentation was good. The poster's look really good. And the literature was designed nicely. I don't know how much of the budget is spent locally, but a few companies were mentioned including Sizemore and Lamar and I think some others. This isn't the entire budget obviously, but some that are local.

The question of measurement was asked and now I am jogging my brain as to the response.

I understand that some kind of event is in the works. I look forward to hearing more about it. Plus I am all for helping Dr. Spurlin! He was my first prof that I intentionally signed up for! His history classes were always interesting, informative, and storical, if that is a word.

February 1, 2011 at 8:25 p.m.
  • It's like the Fatal Funnel, but with Tony Lama's.

February 1, 2011 at 5:56 p.m.
  • Ms. Bise--So, if Charles Spurlin were to host another Conference the size of the Korean War Conference of last year (nearly 300 folks, took almost all hotel rooms for two nights) you would help this time?

Ms. Miles--Can you check this, "...brought more than 1,200 more visitors to the zoo than usual"? That sure seems like a lot. How many is 'usual'?

When is the City Council going to ask for outcome measures on the money spent? They need to quit believing that her work is unmeasurable. Nothing is unmeasurable.

February 1, 2011 at 5:55 p.m.
  • Someone needs to Ctrl-Alt-Del and reboot Victoria into Safe Mode where it only loads essential spending programs into memory.

Too late - BSOD!

February 1, 2011 at 5:28 p.m.
  • NEEEDD MOAR BOOTSS!!!

February 1, 2011 at 5:23 p.m.
  • How much more money are they shipping out of Victoria in 2011?

February 1, 2011 at 5:09 p.m.