Comments

• The last time I used a passport was 1985. I do not carry it now as I have no plans to leave the Untited States. I do have a Veterans Administration card but it does not have a photo.

I remain steadfast. If I am ask for ID they will have to settle for my TDL. I will confirm the required information to vote but I will not carry my Voters Reg. card and the SS folks recomend that we do not carry our SS card.

Again, I stress. If you are detained for an investigation answer the questions with respect and expect the questions to be asked in the same manner. I understand we have a very serious immigration problem but it will not be solved by shreading the Constitution of the United States of America. If some one wants to see my birth certificate or DD214 bring a warrent.

February 19, 2011 at 1:27 p.m.
  • Any Active or Retired Military person has an ID card. When you enter a Military Installation, it is scanned. "ALL" your information is on this bar code.
    While riding my motorcycle, I was ran over by a drunk driver who had no insurance and driving with a suspended license.
    In talking with the investigation officer, I was told "When stopping a driver, the chance are he does not have a license, driving with a suspended license or has no insurance.
    People can drive to San Antonio, Corpus, or Houston and go to the Flea Markets and get any type of Illegal Id cards they want.
    Unless they are "verified" (scanned?) it is hard to tell if they are fake or not.
    The problem is larger than we imagine.

February 19, 2011 at 11:35 a.m.
  • Sorry, Vet, but when you drive north from the border the only question you are likely to be asked is "are you a US citizen?". To close the border (as some propose), proof of citizenship will be mandated.

I've already got my passport, carry it with me most times, and you might be advised to do so as well.

February 19, 2011 at 10:31 a.m.
  • Have the ICE show up at the front door of any food manufacturer and put a big net on the back door.

February 19, 2011 at 10:26 a.m.
  • As long as there is a demand for their labor, the illegal immigrants will find a way to get here. There are already laws on the books forbiding the hiring of this labor force. It isn't enforced very often, because of the political downside involving larger businesses.

In many communities you see law enforcement chasing the illegals up and down the highway, but never see them on a local contruction site. Seizing and selling the vehicles taken from illegals has become the focus on traffic stops.

Stop the demand and the rest takes care of itself.

February 19, 2011 at 8:15 a.m.
  • If I am asked for my TDL and proof of insurance no problem. If they put up a "safety" stop no problem. The first time I am ask to prove I am a citizen of the United States of America, very BIG problem.

I keep hearing about "will only stop law breakers" but that is becoming "suspected law breakers". This is only done in nations that want total control over the population to make sure "the wrong" kind of people have a close eye kept on them.

Just what would be an indication that the person is not a citizen? A Canadian accent?

February 19, 2011 at 2:03 a.m.
  • WWW: Unfortunatley, you are only partially correct. Law enforcement officials are now allowing minor traffic violators to avoid being "pulled over" due to the fact that the officers are aware that a least half of their shift will be wasted booking those with 1. no drivers license, 2. no insurance, 3. potential illegal resident status.

In other words, unless you are in commiting a major crime, you will not be stopped or detained, if you have the appearance of someone who will not pay a fine. The courts are unwilling to waste their time on someone who is in disregard, or unwilling to obey a given law.

February 19, 2011 at 12:38 a.m.
  • Writein...Yeah, yeah, I've read the poem. But, you DO have to show your "papers" at a traffic stop. You have to show the cop your drivers license and your proof of insurance card. If you don't have'em, you're in trouble till you can produce them. If you simply left them at home in another pair of pants, no problem, but if you don't have them at all, then things can get expensive for you. The same with the proof of citizenship card to carry in the wallet. It won't cost the state/city anything extra for a cop at a traffic stop to see that card along with your license. Heck, maybe with modern digital technology, the cop could swipe the magnetic strip on the card like a credit card in a reader attached to the in-car computer and his monitor could display your picture, name, fingerprints, citizenship status, insurance status and whether you are licensed to drive in the state.

I don't feel any need to prove my patriotism, and because I am a patriot and I do love this country, I am willing to put up with a small hassle of carrying a card in my wallet.

February 18, 2011 at 9:32 p.m.
  • Waywardwind,

Maybe you should read the poem from the Rev. Martin Niemoller.

First they came for the communist,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionist,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews.
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Allow me to Americanize the poem to put it in context for this area, the bedrock for neo-feudalism.

First they came for Hispanic,
    And I didn’t speak out because I am not a Hispanic

Then they came for the Unemployed,
    And I didn’t speak out because I am employed.

Then they came for the Muslims,
    And I didn’t speak out because I am not Muslim.

Then they came for me,
    And there was no one left to speak for me.

That is why I talk the way I talk. That is way I am not a conservative. That is why I can no longer stand by and let Feudalism to succeed anymore. No FREE MAN have no need to show his or her papers. No free man have no need to prove his or her patriotism.

February 18, 2011 at 8:15 p.m.
  • Waywardwind.

It wouldn't bother you until they come after you right?

February 18, 2011 at 7:47 p.m.
  • I agree GOP, Bob Perry, the Builder who builds most of the Affordable Tract Housing Subdivisions with cute names like Meritage Homes and such in Texas wants all the day workers he can get.
    He also funded the "Swiftboater" Campain against Kerry.
    It is no surprise Bush did nothing about immigration while in office.

February 18, 2011 at 7:40 p.m.
  • Thank you, waywardwind, for your response to vet 43; you beat me to the punch.
    There are two answers to the question of whether the State should require local law enforcement to enforce immigration law:

If the State requirement comes with funding for the additional expenses that local law enforcement will incur, YES.

If this is another in a series of unfunded mandates from the state to cities and counties, HELL NO.

February 18, 2011 at 3:06 p.m.
  • it the big "payback"!

February 18, 2011 at 3:01 p.m.
  • Vet43, I used to think that way about carrying "papers" but have changed my mind BECAUSE of the flood of illegals. I would be delighted to have a tamper-proof card, the size of my driver's license with my citizenship information encoded to be carried at all times. If one is stopped and doesn't have his/her ID, it'd be much like being stopped without your driver's license. IF you can provide it, no harm, but if you can't, you could be arrested until it could be determined EXACTLY what your citizenship status is. Wouldn't bother me a bit.

February 18, 2011 at 2:50 p.m.
  • When have local law enforcement been involved in immigration laws? Never. This not a change of position, just more noise to get some $$$$.

The only time PD, SO, or DPS mentioned the resident status is when the perp is caught doing something else illegal.

The legistature can do what they want, but the policy isn't going to change.

February 18, 2011 at 1:39 p.m.
  • "I stopped you for a broken taillight. Show me your papers." This is a very slippery slope. While the office/deputy is making sure you are a "true blue" citizen someone is being beaten/robbed/murdered/selling drugs. Do all of you want to carry your birth certificate to buy grocerys?

February 18, 2011 at 12:44 p.m.
  • We single out Mexico, however, have we forgotten;
    CUBA: The Flotilla Grows,
    Defying fierce winds, thousands of refugees take the freedom ride to Florida.
    1.4 Million Indochinese refugees.
    900,000 Vietnamese
    2,715 Vietnamese & Cambodian Orphans (Operation Baby Lift)
    etc, etc.

February 18, 2011 at 12:41 p.m.
  • As I said before , when they take the oath they swear to enforce and uphpld ALL the laws. If the sherriffs in these countys don't want to do their job , they should be fired .

February 18, 2011 at 10 a.m.
  • isn't it their job to stop those breaking the law?

February 18, 2011 at 8:39 a.m.
  • It really does not matter if they come here or not. Considering the current situation our economy is in, we will soon be in the same situation Mexico is in anyway.

February 18, 2011 at 8:09 a.m.
  • The sad part is, the invasion of our country by illegals is a major problem; one that the Obama administration doesn't seem in the least bit concerned with. If the Federal government isn't going to do it's job to protect American interests and lives, then local law enforcement needs to do what is right and embrace the challenge.

February 18, 2011 at 7:27 a.m.
  • This is what you get when our gov and his repub bunch run their mouth during the gov’s race about Bill White and Houston, a sanctuary city. If they were serious about immigration enforcement they would be pushing an immigration enforcement tax. But it’s easier to play the natives for the fools they are.

February 18, 2011 at 7:24 a.m.
  • http://bit.ly/hEdIqv !!!!

February 17, 2011 at 10:49 p.m.
  • Bad thing about the invasion they are invading from all over the world. I am more scared of the invasion from the middle east and India where terrorist come from. I do not think to many Mexicans are Muslims but needless to say they keep on coming.

February 17, 2011 at 10:43 p.m.
  • the mustache is a smart man, a county would go broke trying to be the immigration police

February 17, 2011 at 8:50 p.m.
  • First, we need to stop calling the problem immigration and start calling it what it really is - invasion. The US has lost its sovereignty because it can't control its borders or even who votes in elections. How can Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California be responsible for protecting the sovereignty of the US? Yes, I know, Canada is a problem source too, but not to the degree as Mexico. If Texas is going to be responsible for protecting itself, then why should we be sending Texas money to the US? We should have our own sovereignty. By the way, I am not one of these Texas independence wackos. I just don't want Texas to become a third world hell hole.

February 17, 2011 at 6:55 p.m.
  • Why not have the immigration dept. establish a post here in Victoria to overlook the area immigration problem. It isn't like there is no room for them to establish offices in. There are plenty of empty office spaces in Victoria and having a representative from that dept. to help the area law enforcement deal with the problem would help tremendously.

February 17, 2011 at 6:25 p.m.