Comments

• MistyDawn said: "If the rest are as easily bought as Hagan then it your suggestion would work. Great job of pointing this out."

I'm having a hard time correlating Stephen Roth campaign contributions to being for/against the rebid. Roth has given $250 contributions to both Hagan and Halepaska, and they were on opposite sides of the rebid debate and gave rationales that were consistent with their tendencies.

However, I do find correlation between large TREPAC contributions —like the one Paul Polasek received in 2009— and supporting taxpayer-funded restaurant parking lots. Check your records. I hope Paul will make a speech about this at the next Tea Party. That'll win 'em over!

January 11, 2011 at 1:12 a.m.
  • vicad, can you please start covering the informal city council meetings at moo-moo's and the bakery ?

thanks

January 10, 2011 at 3:05 p.m.
  • Council knows not what they are saying..........I agree 100% with N45BA. This is down right ludicrous, and the mere fact that Halepaska would even say something so ridiculous is almost criminal. It doesn't matter what neighborhood it is, rich, poor, middle class, whatever! It's the city's responsibility and they MUST fix this problem. They don't have a choice, that's just the cost of doing business. And as far as the the parking lot issue? With all the necessary maintenace projects required to maintain a helathy quality of life............. Don't even get me started! What's next, an announcement from the city about how they will move forward with the Airline "Road to Nowhere"? I would guess that Halepaska just spewed off at the mouth without consulting with his fellow council members.

January 10, 2011 at 2:08 p.m.
  • I don't care where the problem is or what it costs to fix. If it is inside the city limits it must be corrected ASAP. If it is not fixed, then the residents in this area should have all the money they have paid in as taxes refunded and they should then use it to hire a good attorney (from outside Victoria).

January 10, 2011 at 2:01 p.m.
  • "Short said the city's sewer system could have cracks or holes that allow the sewage to leak out. But he said private sewer lines could also be a problem if people have gutter drains tied into them or if the clean-outs are missing caps."

How hard is it to check if gutter drains are tied into sewer lines or if the clean-outs are missing caps? I'm no sewage line expert, so is this something the average homeowner (or city personnel) can do with no cost? It doesn't seem to me like the homeowners necessarily have to repair anything based on what Short said.

Assuming missing caps or gutter tie-in are the only things that could cause problems on the homeowners side, it seems to me that it would be very inexpensive and easy to rule those issues out as the problem.

January 10, 2011 at 12:11 p.m.
  • Just a couple of observations.

1. There are many technologies that are used to test undergound systems. The problem may be that the contractors "preferred" by City Hall are not capable of using them.

2. If the same condition existed north of Mockingbird would there be any debate?

January 10, 2011 at 11:11 a.m.
  • To expand the context of the sewer problem, let's take a closer look at Mayfield Terrace II. According to the CAD, this subdivision consists of the 3300-3600 blocks of Bobolink St & Hummingbird Ln, which border O'Connor Elementary School. Shouldn't a potential sewer problem around an elementary school get priority attention? How would the city respond if it were near Schorlemmer Elementary? I'm not a class warrior, but I can't deny that class is playing a huge role in this decision.

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/eLEW

January 10, 2011 at 8:38 a.m.
  • A perfect example of "payback being a witch". Uncle Tom is going to give young Gabe a lesson on not falling in line with the power brokers.

January 10, 2011 at 6:40 a.m.
  • For real? Coconut cake should never trump what is right.

January 9, 2011 at 11:57 p.m.
  • no way i can boycott Halepaska's. ordered a coconut cake for christmas and it was beyond delicious.

January 9, 2011 at 11:49 p.m.
  • It's all about the Benjamins, who you know & how well you can scratch a back. I hope Soliz refuses to try to sell this idea to his constituants, it is wrong, plain WRONG. I hope all of these people & many more boycott Halepaskas business as well, there is nothing I can say about him that won't get me deleted.

January 9, 2011 at 11:45 p.m.
  • Vicad, do you plan on ever asking a local official a tough question ?

how can the pumphouse get a city paid parking lot while city infrastructure needs can't be met ?

also, how can the needs a few 'connected' people be put on a fast track, while issues like this are allowed to linger for months ?

January 9, 2011 at 11:35 p.m.
  • Agreed!

January 9, 2011 at 11:32 p.m.
  • Lynn Short and the rest of the fab four need to be out of jobs this week. If they can't provide for the basic needs of this city, they're not doing their job.

A city with a crumbling infrastructure is a dying city.

January 9, 2011 at 11:29 p.m.
  • Funny how the same contractor always winds up with all the city work, even though they can't seem to complete anything on time. Wonder whose pockets are getting lined there? I'm sure MistyDawn knows.......

January 9, 2011 at 11:09 p.m.
  • DO WHAT??? Did Halepaska SERIOUSLY say that??!!?? I have no words.......

January 9, 2011 at 10:59 p.m.
  • This was discussed at a city council meeting some time ago (about 2 months) while Lynn Short was presenting items to be considered for the budget.It was determined then that the only way to find the problem was by this smoke testing. To which Mr Halepaska made some rude commit reguarding this subdivision and its residents and how Mr Solis should go back to the residents and ask them to pay to have thier lines tested first. It was then shelved and no funds were provided for testing the city lines.

January 9, 2011 at 10:16 p.m.
  • Misty Dawn--full of ourselves, are we, and clearly a Fab Four Fan!

I wasn't speaking specigfically to THIS matter. This City Council has a very long history of spending large sums of money on things that other folks question. Haven't you been paying attention?

I don't feel a need to provide you with a laundry list of expenditures, but I can provide you with the link to the minutes of the City Council meetings: http://www.victoriatx.org/council/cou...

You know as well as I do that if this was an issue particular to say, Woodway or downtown, they would be all over this like a duck on a junebug.

But, hey--you're free to form your own opinion. This is just mine.

January 9, 2011 at 7:50 p.m.
  • @EdithAnn: I was not aware this matter had been deliberated by Council in a Council meeting, YET ... So, then you would be ASSUMING who is voting for what. Hardly fair minded of you. Please correct me if I missed that detail. If so, which meeting date? Thanks!

January 9, 2011 at 7:38 p.m.
  • I'm on record as not necessarily a Hagan fan, but he couldn't hold a candle to The Fab Four--Armstrong, Polasek, Halepaska and Rangel! They spend like it's, well, someone else's money!

Can't test sewer lines for folks to make sure they have the basic needs met, but The Fab Four can make sure folks have a place to park.

How do they sleep at night?

January 9, 2011 at 7:31 p.m.
  • Mr. Halepaska needs to stick to baking cakes and let someone capable of the job serve out his term

January 9, 2011 at 6:28 p.m.
  • If I recall, quite a few years ago, the city was required to check the sewer lines by either the state or federal authorities.

If memory serves, the city hired a company to pump smoke into the sewer lines and check the streets to see if the smoke was escaping the lines, at a considerable cost. Most of the escaping smoke was found at the cities own sewer line clean outs, the 4" caps in the street. Like the one on Airline that has been missing for at least 4 years.

January 9, 2011 at 5 p.m.
  • @BSspotter: I'm glad we agree. IF the rest are as easily bought as Hagan then it your suggestion would work. Great job of pointing this out.

January 9, 2011 at 4:46 p.m.
  • My sister lives and owns a home in this subdivision. Most of the homes on her street are well kept and in good repair. Her home has either gotten water in it along with many of her neighbors (don't ask me where Mr. Halepaska gets the idea it is only three homes) or she has had to sand bag to keep water out several times over the last three years. She did not have any problems prior to that.

For Mr. Halepaska or any other council member to deem this neighborhood or any neighborhood in the City of Victoria "Not worth it" just goes to show what a pompus crew we have running our city!

My sister is a hard working well respected tax paying member of this community as are many of the other home owners in this area. To say that thier concerns are less important because they are not as well off as some of the rest of us makes me very angry!

The city is looking for reasons to not help these people.If you ask me, the city knows they have problems on the city lines they have known it for some time but are attempting to push the problem off on the home owners. They think the homeowners wont be able to pay and the city will then be off the hook.

City of Victoria just fix the darn problem that you created in the first place and treat these citizens with the respect they deserve!

January 9, 2011 at 3:31 p.m.
  • MistyDawn,

I'm not accusing Soliz of anything. To the contrary, I'm suggesting the citizens use a proven method to get on the "winning" side of the 4-3 split.

Your answer can be found within this blog:
    www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/para...

Any questions?

January 9, 2011 at 2:43 p.m.
  • maybe the pumphouse will build their #2 restaurant in that neighborhood, then all their problems will be taken care of

January 9, 2011 at 2:16 p.m.
  • Oh EdithAnn, I understand now, like when David Hagan got a significant contribution from Roth Construction and then when Roth was not selected to build the fire station on Miori, Mr Hagan pitched a fit and got the votes to force the city to re-bid the project again? Like that??? That was outrageous. I heard the rebid cost the city around 20K and the result did not change ...still same contractor won.

Outrageous example of corruption!

January 9, 2011 at 1:39 p.m.
  • I'm sorry, Misty Dawn, I was just providing an answer for you. Figured if you were curious enough to ask, you'd welcome an answer.

Forgive me for butting in. I'll remove my comment. I hope that will make things better.

But to answer the question you did ask me, no, I am not BSspotter. I am EdithAnn.

January 9, 2011 at 1:33 p.m.
  • EdithAnn are you also BSspotter? You seem so ready to answer for him/her. Interesting.

January 9, 2011 at 1:26 p.m.

January 9, 2011 at 1:23 p.m.
  • @BSspotter: are you saying that Gabriel Soliz, champion of this cause, is on the take? Are you saying he was paid $2500 to champion this cause? That is outrageous. I have heard that Councilman Soliz doesn't have a job. Are you accusing him of supplementing the low stipend that council persons receive with graft?

January 9, 2011 at 1:16 p.m.
  • If the city of Victoria can not provide city services to this area, then the area should be de-annexed. The area residents should not have to pay for something they are not receiving.

Mr. Halepaska and his "quandary" aside ... If you charge for something you do not deliver, you are a thief.

January 9, 2011 at 1:08 p.m.
  • *Like*

January 9, 2011 at 1 p.m.
  • SURPRISING? Hardly.

The comment section of this forum could use a *like* button.

*Like*

*Like*

*Like*

January 9, 2011 at 12:43 p.m.
  • PRIORITIES

Question the cost of sewage and environment not to mention potential health problems -
    but can validate the cost of
    a parking lot in the park.

Helluva deal !!!

January 9, 2011 at 12:38 p.m.
  • Perhaps the neighborhood could form a PAC, raise $2,500, and cut a check to a Council member to have them champion their cause. That seems to be the way things work around here.

January 9, 2011 at 10:53 a.m.
  • UNBELIEVABLE

"Council Member Tom Halepaska said the value of the homes affected by the flooding versus the cost of the inspection leaves him in a quandary.

"At what point do you say something isn't worth it?" he asked. "I don't know that answer."

At least it was an honest statement by the councilman

If you live on the poorer side of town forget it no repairs

This is something that we have seen previously ie building sewer plant on poorer side of town

January 9, 2011 at 8:19 a.m.