Friday, November 28, 2014




Advertise with us

Mobile home destroyed by fire

By KBell
Jan. 20, 2011 at 8:03 p.m.
Updated Jan. 19, 2011 at 7:20 p.m.

Firefighters work to extinguish a mobile home engulfed in flames at 3340 Old Highway Road on Thursday afternoon. Firefighters said that the structure and its contents were a "total loss" when they arrived on the scene. No one was home at the time of the fire.

HOW TO HELPTo donate to the family, contact the Crossroads Chapter of the Red Cross at 361-573-2671. Or, you can go to www.crossroads-redcross.org or their offices at 2805 N. Navarro St., Suite 500.

The family needs the following sizes:

Pants: Men's 42 X 32; women's size 14, youth size 18

Shirts: Men's XXL, women's large, boy's large

Shoes: Men's size 12, women's size 8, boy's size 5

9-month to 12-month-old clothes

INEZ - A mobile home in the 3300 block of Old Highway Road was destroyed by fire about 3:15 p.m. Thursday.

No one was home at the time of the blaze, Victoria Fire Department Battalion Chief Shannon Martin said.

Clint Burger and his girlfriend, Chelsea Bryant, live in the home with their four-month-old daughter, Carli, and Bryant's 11-year-old brother, Troy.

From their hotel room provided by Candlewood Suites' "Candlewood Cares" program, Burger said he and his family were doing well.

"We're going to put one foot in front of the other and move on," he said.

Burger's grandparents, Bill and Mary Wagner, own the property and live in a two-story house near the mobile home, said Linda May, emergency services director of the Crossroads Chapter of the Red Cross.

The mobile home was completely engulfed in flames by the time the fire department arrived.

The Wagner's house remained unharmed, Martin said.

Neighbors across the street said by the time they noticed the flames and called the fire department, the house looked to be completely destroyed.

Troy could be seen getting off of a school bus Thursday afternoon to a home that was still in flames. A Victoria County Sheriff's deputy drove him up the driveway to meet his family.

"They lost everything," May said. "We've given them a motel room, vouchers for clothing and food, and they're going to try to do the best they can do."

But Burger wasn't focusing on the loss Thursday night, instead mentioning repeatedly how shocked he was by the response he's received from the community.

"I'd like to thank everybody who helped out and came to our aid in a time of need," he said. "I was overwhelmed by everybody who was willing to help out."

Burger said he was told a lamp shorted out, igniting the fire.

A firefighter cut his fingers while battling the blaze, Martin said. He was taken to Citizens Medical Center to be evaluated.

SHARE

Comments


Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia