Comments

• Legion, most people act responsibly and take the bags back to a store that recycles. And you right about the convenience store. No only does that waste a bag, create litter, it rises the cost of MY DIET COKE>

January 24, 2011 at 10:16 p.m.
  • From the sidebar on the article, misspelling included, "the issueIt's a common question at many a grocery check-out: paper or plastic?"

When was the last time anyone was asked that question?

It's been years for me, I don't even think paper bags are a option anymore.

Save the trees! Use plastic!

That was the battle cry, even though plastic bags are made out of petroleum.

Gotta love the environmentalists.

January 24, 2011 at 6:14 p.m.
  • IMO, grocery stores aren't the problem with plastic bag litter, the convenience stores are.

A person buys one bottle of soda, water or whatever, and the clerk automatically puts it in a bag, it's going to be out of the bag before you even get back to your car.

The grocery store bags, for the most part, get taken back home and emptied inside the house.

January 24, 2011 at 6:07 p.m.
  • Target gives you 5 cents per bag that you use for sacking when you bring your own. Now if only the other stores would do that - and maybe charge for the plastic bags. (BTW - you can re-use the plastic bags too!)

January 24, 2011 at 4:22 p.m.
  • KyleC wrote:
    "...give you points if you brought your own bags with you or purchased recycled paper bags. The more bags you bought/brought earned you more points and more points earned you discounts on future shopping trips."

I like this idea. I always thought the stores, at least the bigger chains (Wal-mart, HEB, etc...), ought to give some kind of incentives for using/buying reusable bags. This sounds like a great plan.

interested wrote:
    "...there are a lot of people that can barely afford the groceries much less a bunch of bags. The bags may be cheap, but add up 6-10 (what it probably takes for a large shopping trip) and that is the price of food for a meal."

True that but the fact that the reusable bags can be used over and over it will be a "one time" cost. After each use it will reduce the cost.
    And with KyleCs plan it will start saving at every trip.

Personally the wife and I been using re-usable bags for many years now and every so often when we need to use a plastic bag it gets brought back to the "recycle bags" box at the stores.

January 24, 2011 at 4:05 p.m.
  • Does anyone remember why we were even forced to go to plastic? I for one loved the old brown grocery bags. At least the paper does not sit in landfills for many years. I do not htink everyone should have to buy a bag, there are a lot of people that can barely afford the groceries much less a bunch of bags. The bags may be cheap, but add up 6-10 (what it probably takes for a large shopping trip) and that is the price of food for a meal.

January 24, 2011 at 3:19 p.m.
  • Should we encourage everyone to eschew plastic in favor of paper or cloth? Sure, good idea.

Do we need one more instance of nanny government telling us what we can and cannot do? HELL NO!

January 24, 2011 at 12:34 p.m.
  • I recycle mine or let my husband carry his work clothes back and forth in them once, and then they get recycled too.
    With the cloth bags, you have to be careful about meat juices or broken eggs getting on them and then contaminating your other groceries, or fruit.

January 24, 2011 at 12:21 p.m.
  • The bags are too flimsy to carry more than a few items, which then commonly roll out of them in the back of the car. Once empty, unless they're quickly stuffed into the garbage or recycling bin, they can waft into the air, floating not only onto beaches but into wilderness areas, where they endanger animals. They rip easily, but paradoxically last for generations in landfills. There's little to like about them aside from their dubious value as pooper scoopers

January 24, 2011 at 12:15 p.m.
  • On a recent trip to the UK - I noticed that a large chain grocery store which operates a loyalty card would give you points if you brought your own bags with you or purchased recycled paper bags. The more bags you bought/brought earned you more points and more points earned you discounts on future shopping trips.

January 24, 2011 at 9:07 a.m.
  • The various business that use these bags(most everyone) should have to pay a fee for having them. Then they could charge the customer for them or just eat the cost of the fee. It could be used to help keep the city clean. Lord knows we could use that.
    PatB

January 24, 2011 at 9 a.m.
  • I would be happy as a pig in slop to ditch the plastic, and go back to paper.

January 24, 2011 at 8:57 a.m.
  • Well I live on 59 and believe me I had as many feed bags that some one fed there cows or animals and throwed them in back of truck and down the road they go. I had 5 out in front of my house, I have not had that many plastic bags in my yard as feed bags, people need to be more aware of the bags and tie them down, I reuse my plastic bags. But some people better stop and think of all the people they are going to put out of work isn't this world scary enought with all of our jobs going out of the country and all the others buying from Japan, China and etc. People stand up for USA for a change keep our jobs here.

January 24, 2011 at 8:30 a.m.

January 24, 2011 at 3:03 a.m.