Comments

• This isn't anything more than a travelling pawn shop, and as a matter of fact, it should be common sense that you would get more for your items at a pawn shop because the overhead is cheaper. (They don't have to pay gas (at almost $4 a gallon, food, hotel bills etc.) You have to know that they make their money buying your goods for less and selling them for more, and if it doesn't make sense for them, they won't do the deal. If you need a quick buck, look elsewhere. Does Treasure Hunters Roadshow rip off customers? Of course they do. Do they put a gun to your head after you have produced your items and make you sell them? No, they don't.

May 12, 2011 at 3:14 p.m.
  • This sounds similar to recent "liquidation" company that was at the Community Center. I think everyone heard the advertising all of the TV and Radio! They were also doing some extreme false advertising! I went there expecting to see what they were advertising, but was greatly disappointed. First of all, it cost $7 just to get in to see what they had, which was all junk! Then I got harassed because I told them that everything they were selling was extremely overpriced! I found much of the same merchandise on the internet, and even locally much cheaper than they wanted. I even found some electronics with serial numbers missing.
    I really think they should be investigated, and want to let everyone know to never visit these "liquidation" sales that come to town every year! If you have to pay to get into a store just to see what they have, that should be a sign to turn around... Oh well, it was a lesson learned!
    I would definitely much rather go to the local flea market!

January 30, 2011 at 10:42 p.m.
  • @Notamorningperson: I never stated it was the VICAD's responsibility...However, since it took time out to offer ...
    A check of the company's business history, however, suggests otherwise. The Treasure Hunters Roadshow, which operates under Illinois-based THR & Associates, has an "F" rating with the national Better Business Bureau - the worst rating available.
    I would have hoped it would have taken this same time prior to the misfortunes to inform its readers. Especially an out of town business.
    GRANTED, the business would not have taken an ad out in the VICAD.
    There is where you become creative and inform readers to ck out business before they run out and sell their possessions.
    I strongly support the VICAD and applaud the work they are doing.

January 28, 2011 at 12:57 p.m.
  • Somehow it seems very significant that the worthies at the Advocate choose to run the Roadshow news story only AFTER they make their bucks on advertising. Thumbs down.

January 28, 2011 at 9:33 a.m.
  • Considering the change-of-heart story - it might have been a good idea to have removed the Treasure Hunter's Roadshow from the calendar in the newspaper. It is further listed as a Best Bet of the Week even today.

Notamorningperson: I think it is VICAD's responsibility to check out any business that they recommend to it's readers. By listing it in the calendar of events, listing it as a Best Bet of the Week, and writing a positive, encouraging story it is doing just that.

At the very least, they could have run a BBB article about these types of shows at the same time they ran the big full page ad.

January 28, 2011 at 9:12 a.m.
  • Saltgrass - Why is it Victoria Advocate's responsibility to check out the business and tell the consumers? Consumers need to do this for themselves.

The company borderlined using someone else's name. When I read "Roadshow is coming to town", I immediately thought of Antiques Roadshow from PBS. People get caught up in the hype and don't think through what they are doing. Once they wait all day to get their items appraised, they reluctantly sell because they feel they are now committed.

January 28, 2011 at 8:22 a.m.
  • I am the reporter who has done a great deal of research on this and numerous other companies that sett-up in hotels and try to buy coins, antiques and other valuables. The research I conducted showed a consistent trend of paying pennies on the dollar for such items. As far as your coins are concerned, I am attaching information that will show you the actual melt value of the items you have. Please understand that your coins may have a numismatic or collector's value that far exceeds their silver or gold content. I hope this helps. The following information can be found at www.coinflation.com
    Jerry Jordan
    1907-1933 Saint Gaudens Double Eagle $20.00 $1272.16
    FOREIGN COINS
    1817-2007 British Sovereign 1 Pound $309.00
    1871-1898 French Angel Franc 20 Francs $244.57
    1901-1914 French Rooster Franc 20 Francs $244.57
    1897-1947 Swiss Helvetia Franc 20 Francs $244.57

January 28, 2011 at 7:41 a.m.
  • I do not condone this type of practice, However...When done, he offered Kasper $71.46 - about $430 less than what the Port Lavaca native estimated. Even so, she reluctantly agreed to the offer...
    You cannot blame the buyer if the seller agrees to sell.
    One thing I learned a long time ago...something is worth/value only the amount someone is willing to pay...
    Agree, the VICAD should have done a background ck to see credibility of business and inform people.

January 28, 2011 at 7:39 a.m.
  • How about doing these investigations on local businesses.

January 28, 2011 at 6:49 a.m.
  • I'm shocked! I cannot believe you actually followed up on readers' concerns and this quickly!

Amazing!

January 27, 2011 at 10:02 p.m.
  • These shows are a rip off. Locals need to trust your local dealers more. If you are not offered at least 60% of grey sheet price for your coins you are getting taken. Grey sheet is what real buyers and collectors go by. So next time check Craigs list or your local news paper for people that are buying coins and other items. You would be better off selling to a private party than to a business since they do not have no over head and are able to offer you more.

January 27, 2011 at 8:40 p.m.
  • As I thought.

In the future please VICAD do not promote this type of thing. If they buy an ad so be it but please do not promote it. Besides the "build-up" story, I noticed that the Advocate had added this venue to the calendar of activities in the paper. It could sound like an endorsement and entice people to attend.

Thank you, though, for this story now. Better late than never.

January 27, 2011 at 8:20 p.m.