Comments

• FYI - Here's another article and video about this project ...

Tejano Monument Coming to the Texas state capitol

.... plus a few books and other references ....

July 29, 2011 at 7:43 p.m.
  • The Tejano Monument is by far the most important tribute the people of the Great State of Texas, can bestow to the original Tejano pioneers, who emerged, evolved and developed in Texas. Unlike all others, who came to Texas, Tejanos/as have the distinction of originating in the New Spain Tejas province. In some cases original Tejano origin consisted of local Texas, indigenous people and European, Spanish, French, Italian, Greek and other immigrants, who came here.

Tejanos have sacrificed, defended and served Texas like no others.

Around 1779, Texas Governor Domingo Cabello y Robles provided Spanish, General Gálvez with over 10,000 cattle for food and several hundred horses for the soldiers. Tejano vaqueros took care of the cattle, horses and join in the fight to help the American Colonies struggle against the British. At that time, there were no Mexican or Mexican-American, because the country of Mexico did not exit. The Republic of Mexico and its federal constitution was established October 4th. 1824.

On April 6, 1813, Tejanos with the assistance of United States volunteers defeated the Spanish and established the first Texas Independence at the Governors Palace in San Fernando present day San Antonio, Texas. Regrettably on August 18, 1813, the first Texas Independence, was lost at the bloodiest battle ever fought on Texas soil, twenty miles south of San Antonio in a sandy oak forest region then called el encinal de Medina. Both Tejano and Estadounidences (Unitedstasian) made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of Tejas. No Mexican or Mexican-American were present only Spanish, Unitedstasians and Tejano as well as some Indigenous volunteers.

On April 21, 1836, at the Battle of San Jacinto the combined forces of Tejanos and Unitedstasians were victorious against the forces of El Generalisimo Antonio Lopez De Santa Anna. The Tejano community has been an integral part of Texas for nearly four hundred plus years. Today the composition of Tejanos and Tejanas include a wide diversity of origins, ethnicities and races but the customs and traditions remain part of the Tejano, Texas genera.

The Tejano Monument is suppose to identify with and represent the Tejano community of the state of Texas, and should not be confused with others, who in the past, were part of the history of Texas.
    RudyTejano Pena, Tejano Cultural Historian, www.TejanoPride.com

July 29, 2011 at 5:51 p.m.

July 19, 2011 at 5:21 p.m.
  • Good luck all I am finished with this topic.

July 19, 2011 at 2:07 p.m.
  • From an article about a Tejano Monument morphs into a lesson on the "Truth". Sounds like a acid trip at the Capital Building in Austin gone bad.

"Truth" is a monunment to the Tejano citizens history in Texas should be honored and I like the idea.

July 19, 2011 at 12:12 p.m.

July 19, 2011 at 11:58 a.m.
  • Jason, never mind us, just keep posting

July 19, 2011 at 11:38 a.m.
  • jason, why don't you write a blog and enlighten us. i said you weren't very smart, but not because you don't like the monument or what it stands for.

what is your issue with a monument to the spanish and mexican influence of Texas?

July 19, 2011 at 10:01 a.m.
  • I knew a guy that was special, but he had 6 toes on his left foot. Caused him to lean way over to the right. Maybe that also made him "right"?

July 19, 2011 at 9:50 a.m.
  • JasonBourne doesn't need a monument to make him feel special or recognized.

I can (without monuments) recognize accomplishments that I believe made this country great.

Not everything is monument worthy. As shocking as that may be to some of you, it is the truth.

I would like to explain my thoughts in a much clearer way that would help you all understand but this site doesn't allow that kind of thing. So go ahead and call me names and make your fun. I don't expect anyone to agree with me all the time, even when I'm right.

July 19, 2011 at 9:31 a.m.
  • Where do we send our donations to the "jasonbourne Monument"?

July 19, 2011 at 8:57 a.m.
  • Who would have guessed I am a redneck, thought the world was flat, not very smart, unfamiliar with Texas history, and a few other choice things, all because I don't agree with this monument.

Imagine if I didn't agree that Obama was given a Nobel Prize. I would probably be shot on sight.

Pilot, we get it, you and you're family are special. We'll all try to remember that for the next 5 minutes or so.

BTW, you got me by 2 years. Man you're old.

July 18, 2011 at 9:10 p.m.
  • Easy, Pilot. Bigotry reveals itself in the comments of the bigot. From various points of bigotry. Right, Robert?

A private group raises money to honor their predecessors. From private funds. More power to them.

A Second Generation Irish (legal) Bohemian (maybe not) American.

July 18, 2011 at 8:53 p.m.
  • Nice credentials Charley, thanks for the family resume. My kin are all from around here. They didn't do anything exciting. They wouldn't have liked this monument either. I'm glad you have chosen to support this project.

Respect, now there is an interesting word.

Regards
    Jason Bourne (thats Bourne with a B)

July 18, 2011 at 6:45 p.m.
  • Well I'm going to give you a few bonus points for your excellent play on words from my previous post. Funny, yes...Correct, not even close.

What's really funny is you thinking it's a good idea to have a discussion over something like this with a person that thinks the world is flat.

Funny how people know everything about me from reading a single sentence.

I still do not like the monument the articles depicts.

July 18, 2011 at 5:44 p.m.
  • Oh Jason,
    you do a pretty good job of exclaiming the wonderous value of the others you don't like here.
    Always looking forwards to your nest post Amigo

July 18, 2011 at 5:13 p.m.
  • When the Victoria Advocate runs an article exclaiming the wonderous value of the others I don't like, I'll let you know. Until then, just the one in this article.

July 18, 2011 at 5:05 p.m.
  • HEY JASON:
    There are at least 18 monuments on the capitol grounds including a Texas cowboy monument?
    How many of these are you against?

July 18, 2011 at 4:56 p.m.
  • roberttx,
    They don't need a monument, they have an entire STATE!!!

July 18, 2011 at 4:25 p.m.
  • If they are willing to raise the money privately, rather than going to a government agency hat-in-hand, I say go for it, and good luck.

July 18, 2011 at 4:25 p.m.
  • I am admitedly a smart-_ _ _. A very intelligent one. I also have much more to say on this topic. I assure all of you if I spoke as freely as you have here my post would exist for all of 10 seconds.

I'll let yet another opportunity slide on by and let you have your way with me. Not by choice.

I do not agree with the monument program depicted here. I'll choose to disagree with how wonderful this is...well because I can.

July 18, 2011 at 4:24 p.m.
  • Sounds like some folks need a monument to stupidity. Texas is and always will be a wonderful mixture of Texican, Mexican and Spanish with more than a few German, Irish, English, French and many Eastern Europeans. And let's not forget the African-Americans that did not move here by choice. Now we have Arab, Indian, Chinese, Japanese and just about every culture from the world over.

And we still have people that think the earth is flat and we are the center of the universe, which Texas is of course!

July 18, 2011 at 1:27 p.m.
  • where is the monument for the gringos that killed the mexican land owners that fought next to them for independence, then stole their land ?

July 18, 2011 at 12:43 p.m.
  • psst: there's a way to delete your own comments here

July 18, 2011 at 12:28 p.m.
  • Educate yourself as to why you happen to be in Texas Jason. I reckon some of your ancestors came to Texas because they were hungry and hungry for land and to get away from debts, etc. in the United States -Tejanos were individuals who were here already - remember this was another country and the mother language was Spanish like it or not. We need to recognize that Spaniards/Mexicans were so instrumental in the development in this part of the Country. Your ancestors learned everything, and I do mean everything about living in this part of the Country from Spaniards/Mexicans. Your ancestors came wearing coon hats and moccasins, and learned to wear and use the vaquero hat, boots, horse saddles, etc. from the Spaniards/Mexicans. Some of us have such a beautiful history.

July 18, 2011 at 12:01 p.m.

July 18, 2011 at 9:09 a.m.
  • In 2003, Benny Martinez mounted Brook Shileds and set out on a 125-mile ride from Goliad to the State Capitol in Austin. His mare was named Brook Shields.

(LOL)
    HEY JASON: does that meam you and Rick Perry are going to carry the San Jacinto Monument back to Washington since Texans were to cheap to pay for it. You know it took those evil Federal dollars to build it.

July 18, 2011 at 8:16 a.m.

July 18, 2011 at 8:14 a.m.
  • (sigh)
    So, if your group decides it needs a monument, simply raise the money and get yourself one?

July 18, 2011 at 7:50 a.m.