Comments

• Victoria has a historical commission? What for? All tell and no show because our historical structures and artifacts have just about disappeared. Victoria is woefully deficient. The Denver Hotel... gone, the train depot - abandoned, burned down by transients, all the classic movie theaters - gone. If it weren't for private enterprise, we'd have lost even more... the Opera House, The Pump House. Victoria is a very historical city with very little of its history preserved. How sad.

July 24, 2011 at 9:38 p.m.
  • Hopefully this won't be another "Old 771" promise. We were lead to believe the engine would be restored and placed back in service. It is still setting outside, unsheltered, risking vandalism, and rusting away. Now the mill is under the same promise. Will it happen or is it just something else that will be removed from the downtown area that could have been used for tourism. Can you imagine what the old Denver Hotel could have been for the downtown area? If you look at the Victoria tourist booklet, it mentions all the things to do in Victoria. The only problem is the things listed are in Goliad, Cuero, Shiner, Port Lavaca, or somewhere other than Victoria. I guess we can add Inez. Maybe the mill will be restored and we can go see it in operation without having to wear boots.

July 24, 2011 at 9 p.m.
  • You mean the locomotive that the city sold for $5? They sold it to Grapevine. You can still see it if you go up there. Not only that you can ride the train it pulls. Still ticked about that.

July 24, 2011 at 8:05 p.m.
  • Wasn't or isn't the mill currently located where the steam engine use to be before it was relocated?

If so, I am glad to see it go thru restoration and moved.

Way back when, my mom dropped me off at either the Uptown or El Rancho theater, after the movie was over I went walking and ended up where the locomotive and grist mill where.

They were in sad shape back then and that was in the late 60's.

July 24, 2011 at 4:38 p.m.
  • Thank you all for your questions. The gristmill is being moved because in October 2009, the Morning Study Club passed the deed for the mill back over to the Meiss family. Michael Maraggia, who is a descendant of the Meiss family, has formed the Meiss Wind Gristmill Project Board of Directors. Now that the mill is back with the Meiss family, they have decided to move it to a place where the public can view it and understand its mechanics. At its current location, it is located behind a hurricane fence. It does not operate and it just sits there. Also, the Texas Historical Commission and National Park Service wanted to see the mill in a more natural setting, one in which it would actually be located. This is outlined throughout the story but we will be following up during their process with more answers. The restoration and moving process is a lengthy one. Thank you all again for your comments!

July 24, 2011 at 4:24 p.m.
  • I agree with the lack of info. such as why its being moved. Would have been nice if it could have been worked in with the renewed downtown area.
    One less place in town to wear ya boots too.

July 24, 2011 at 2:27 p.m.
  • You are right, GOP. I read this because of idle curiosity and now have lots of unanswered questions. Bugs me.

July 24, 2011 at 12:56 p.m.
  • This story lacks so much information I'm going to wait before I comment and hopefully the VA will follow up on this like that Paul Harvey voice I'm hearing is telling me. So many who, what and where need to be addressed.

July 24, 2011 at 9:27 a.m.
  • Who is paying the quarter of a million dollars for this to be done?

July 24, 2011 at 9:08 a.m.
  • Another example of something that deserves attention that Victoria doesn't want to take care of. It will be located "about seven miles south of Inez" and "used for tourism and education", Really? Oh my gosh...You people are idiots!!!

July 24, 2011 at 1:59 a.m.