Comments

• You cant buy an 11 year old car and expect it to run like a new one. I feel bad for the lady but then again before purchasing a car, especially a used one, you should have a mechanic look over it. Common sense. I dont think the dealership should be liable.

July 28, 2011 at 4:28 p.m.
  • Why weren't her parents involved in counseling on the pitfalls of buying her first used car?

Purchasing an 11 yo foreign auto would be considered risky business by even the most naive. Unless you know the owner, it has very low miles, and are handy with tools, I'd take a pass.

July 28, 2011 at 7:53 a.m.
  • Used car salesmen can be trusted more than most members in Congress. That's the outrage. In my opinion.

July 28, 2011 at 12:45 a.m.
  • Number 1,

Do not buy a used car from anyone that sells only used cars. People take their cars to those places when the major dealerships won't take them or they weren't able to sell it outright because they know something is wrong with it. In other words, they are getting rid of their problems and walking away form them. The dealer probably paid them little or nothing.

Number 2

Take someone with you that knows all about cars, what to look for , what to listen for, what a car is supposed to do during various trials. If it is hard to start, pass it up. If it doesn't shift smoothly, pass it up. If you smell something funny, pass it up. If you hear a ping or a knock, pass it up. If you hear screaching brakes, pass it up.
    Look under the hood. If it is too clean, pass it up because someone took the time to clean it up and not for the reason you would think. Pull the dipstick out and look at the motor oil and the transmission oil. You see discolored oil or water on the dipstick, walk away. You smell antifreeze, pass it up.
    Look under the car, and up under the car for oil leaks, or water damage. The car could have been in a flood and moved here form somewhere else. Look inside the car under the carpet, or or up above the brake to see if you see any water damage of any kind.
    A used car is sold "as is"...buyer beware. Don't trust anything anyone tells you because they do not give a dang about you, or whether you saved your money, or anything else.
    If the salesman tells you something specific, you write it down and make them sign it. They cannot tell you something that is false. They can omit something, but not tell you a out-and-out lie. Get the proof of what they told you. Document, document, document.

July 28, 2011 at 12:03 a.m.
  • My husband worked (in the shop) for the used car section at one of the MOST trusted dealerships in the Victoria area. He told me that every single one of the used cars on that lot were basically "duct taped" together to sell. For instance, when someone's engine block is cracked, instead of repairing it, or replacing it, they put something in it that seals the cracks temporarily, but will eventually fall apart, and the buyer will be stuck with it. I am willing to bet that most car dealerships are this way to some extent. IMO.

July 27, 2011 at 10:30 p.m.
  • "Honest" and "Car Dealer" don't belong in the same sentence. Hell not even the same paragraph.

And to you two who have had bad experiences with Pontiac I can tell you from my own miserable Grand Am, as well as friends / relatives who have made that mistake, General Motors products in general are plagued with electrical bug-a-boos. And Pontiac specifically is a rolling pile of crap. Poor quality and pathetic reliability are Pontiac hallmarks. STAY AWAY all you prospective buyers. You will be disappointed.

July 27, 2011 at 7:50 p.m.
  • Should of have bought a American made with what she paid she could of have bought a whole lot newer vehicle but I can see how young people are caught up with buying a Volvo its like buying name brand clothes the top of the line it may have been at one time but 11 years and a lot of miles but still the dealer should be tared and feathered go ahead and publish his name it will come sooner or later hopefully sooner to keep others from getting ripped off.

July 27, 2011 at 7:19 p.m.
  • The dealership should NOT be named. This add should never have made the paper.

If you pay $3600.00 for a car now days you should be expecting to get a piece of junk. If you buy a 10+ year old Volvo you should be expecting to get a piece of junk.

I don't work at a car dealership and I despise tactics used by them to sell cars. But I am on the side of the dealership in this case.

You want a good car that will keep running all the time? Go buy a Honda or Toyota. You'll pay more than $10,000 but you won't be crying because it broke down.

Good luck and that is a good lesson learned. Educate yourself before you go spend that kind of money. It's not the car salesmans job to teach you not to be ignorant.

You folks whining about knowing who it was are a bit out of line.

July 27, 2011 at 4:55 p.m.

July 27, 2011 at 3:25 p.m.

July 27, 2011 at 2:43 p.m.
  • pig,

I believe this young person was taken advantage of and ANYONE that would do that needs to be held responsible. There are 2 injured parties here. The young lady that was taken advanage and the many honest fair dealing car salespersons here in Victoria. If the dealer was fair he/she would help the buyer out and do the right thing. It would counter some of the negative word of mouth they, (and every other dealer), are receiving from the public. If the dealership would care to publicly tell their side of the issue there would be two sides to this ripoff. As it stands we have to take the young lady's and her mothers word for the facts. I would love to hear from some of our local car dealers on this issue.

July 27, 2011 at 2:30 p.m.
  • So Vet43, just how long after the teenager drives it around the state of Texas should the dealer still be on the hook for this used car?? Just curious, have you ever seen the large sign on the side of every drivers side window on cars for sale that says "AS IS- NO WARRANTY"? It is posted on the vehicle so nobody is confused about what they're buying. And also Vet, there are two sides to every pancake, so quit jumping to conclusions about the dealer in question. You have not heard his/her side of the story, now have you??

July 27, 2011 at 2:11 p.m.
  • This is the oldest trick in the book and people are still falling for it. Used car dealer = (@#$%^&*) We all know it. A friend of mine went to work for a car dealership and was let go for being to honest. I went to buy a used car once lucky for me it died in the parking lot and they didn't have my money yet. I hate to say it but the Law is on the dealership side and I don't think they have a chance but make them spend there money on attorneys and sooner or later that will drive them out of bussiness.

July 27, 2011 at 2:02 p.m.
  • The car is at least eleven years old. All cars that age are lemons. In my opinion.

July 27, 2011 at 1:35 p.m.

July 27, 2011 at 12:44 p.m.
  • Agree that the dealership should be named. And the reporter should have already talked with him before the article was published so we could know that side.

I also had a problem with a used car from a WELL KNOWN dealer. Some years ago the sales guy told me the history of the vehicle - parents bought it for their college age daughter and they loved it so much they traded it in for a new car for her when she graduated.

Piece of junk. When you take it in for service be wary (don't be weary) if they don't want to give you a receipt. That way the repair history does not go into the system. That vehicle was nothing but problems. Lucky for me the car history was left in the glove compartment and I contacted the previous owners. HAH! They ranted. They had tons of problems after they bought it and the only thing the dealership would do was to allow them to trade it in for another car. They were hot! And I found out there were TONS more repairs and service work done than I was told about or given paperwork on. So they held that info from me. Big bad no-no.

Sooooo. I went back and talked to Mr. Big. Funny attitude. He was more agitated at the sales guy for leaving the paperwork in the glove compartment. However....I did get my money back - all of it. And I had the vehicle for months. But they were very dishonest. And that sales guy - actually I think he was the sales manager at that time - was a real sleaze. Yankee type. Reminded me of Howie Mandel. Not that I don't like Howie Mandel - he just reminded me kinda of him - the way he talked. Anywho.....that is my story and I'm sticking to it. Be careful out there. Even in a small town the users are everywhere.

July 27, 2011 at 12:07 p.m.
  • And just where were the young lady's parents when she negotiated this important purchase? How many days after the purchase did the car start having problems?

Name the dealership, or this is NOT news. It is a rumor.

July 27, 2011 at 12:05 p.m.
  • Amazingly enough this same thing happened to me too! I got a pontiac grand am used from a place on Houston Highway and it had so many problems and they basically told me to deal with it and they didn't need my business so I gave them back the car. The people there were extremely rude especially the receptionist and they had no idea what they were talking about. I would definately believe it if this was the same place the lady got her daughter's car from! It all worked out in the end because I went down the road to the Kia dealership and got a great car and was very happy with the wonderful service I got from the people who worked there.

July 27, 2011 at 12:02 p.m.
  • Be very weary of buying a used vehicle from any car lot. My son bought a car from one and only got to drive it for 5 days and the transmission went out so we took it in and had it fixed and then he was driving a friend home the same day and the moter started knocking. We had it towed to a machanice and they told us the moter was bad. We went to the car lot and talked to him and he more or less said get lost. We have a really fine cummunity here, but we need to get rid of the low life that take advantage of good people. I am having to drive my son to work every day again due to this and he is still having to pay off his loan.

July 27, 2011 at 11:08 a.m.
  • @JD- I agree, the story has no meaning without listing who the dealer is. Why does the Advocate choose to protect them? They don't worry about bad mouthing others.

July 27, 2011 at 9:26 a.m.
  • Carfax is a joke. I looked up my old car--never been in the shop and was never wrecked--it said there were 8 reports.

July 27, 2011 at 8:57 a.m.
  • Why even bother to print the article if the dealership is not going to be named?

July 27, 2011 at 8:30 a.m.
  • Show me the CarFax! Imports?????

July 27, 2011 at 8:23 a.m.
  • You can get good used cars, but you have to do you research. I noticed one of the best ways is to look to the internet. When you find a car you like, get on the net and join a forum for enthusiasts with cars similar to what your looking at. This way you can read others experiences and ask questions. New isn't always problem free either. Dealing with a stealership with a warranty issue is enough to drive you crazy. From personal experience, GM is bad with the "oh, that's normal, they all do that".

July 26, 2011 at 10:25 p.m.
  • Yes, please do share the name of the car dealership...

July 26, 2011 at 9:18 p.m.
  • A young high school graduate buys a car and the dealer/salesman tells her it is in great condition. It is a Volvo! Then it falls apart and she is told this a good lesson in life.

If this Dealership want's to sell many more cars they may want to treat customers better. Word spreads quickly and I for one would like to know who this "honest" car dealer is and spread the word.

July 26, 2011 at 8:56 p.m.
  • I bought a grand prix from a large dealer on Navarro and had problems with the air condition for 3 years and it was under warranty. I drove crappy loaner cars and a few rentals for those 3 years while they tried to find what was wrong with the car. I was very unhappy and lost all trust. So I ended up trading it in for a NEW vehical and will never drive used again!

July 26, 2011 at 8:50 p.m.
  • “"Be weary of what you buy, especially if it's used," Alex Hernandez, Meaux's lawyer, said.”

I don’t think I’d buy it if I was ‘weary’ of it – that is, if I was already weary of it before I bought it, I’d hope that that would make me leery of it, which would cause me to be very wary.

July 26, 2011 at 6:59 p.m.