Comments

• Thanks for the discussion, victorianbybirth.
    I can certainly agree that out of the hundreds of words I write a week, I chose to use the wrong one for this breakout. I also agree that Journalism 101 says that anything in quotation marks should be word-for-word what the person says. Because articles can't be a monologue, the rest must be paraphrased and explained most accurately according to the source's intent. Lesson learned, in this case.
    Not to speak for everyone at the Advocate, but we do hear the criticism, and none of us wish to fail our responsibility to the public. We have good leadership that encourages us to acknowledge and better our inevitable mistakes. Have you seen our editor, Chris Cobler's blog about our correction policy?
    Accuracy and transparency are serious matters here. For any of our shortcomings, we're forever listening and learning, and most importantly we're concerned with being a trustworthy source of information.
    However hard it is (and my thin skin takes it harder than most), online comments are one of the best ways we get feedback on our efforts, so again, I'm enjoying the dialogue.

June 4, 2011 at 8:54 p.m.

June 4, 2011 at 6:50 p.m.
  • Thanks Kayla again for responding. I guess I pointed that out because the paper is often criticized for the reporters not properly quoting & also misconstruing information from the people they are quoting/citing. I feel journalists should quote word for word the people they are quoting & if not, they should notate that they have taken liberty with the information for color commentary purposes. I dunno, I would think that would be journalism 101. Not to point the finger just at you, but I believe this is a perfect example of a common criticism of the Advocate.

June 4, 2011 at 6:02 p.m.
  • Hi victorianbybirth,
    I can't imagine anyone would be happy if she felt a reporter were injecting words into her mouth. I was paraphrasing and should have taken a few minutes to carefully choose a more appropriate word. It's a discussion my editor has had with me, and... what can I say? I'm always striving to be a better reporter, so I appreciate the criticism that helps me do that. I'll have thesaurus.com bookmarked :)

June 4, 2011 at 5:14 p.m.
  • Thanks for the clarification Kayla. The breakout box cites Diane Boyett as the source of the information, wonder how she feels about you injecting your words into her mouth?

June 4, 2011 at 1:49 p.m.
  • DennisTardan and EdithAnn,
    I should clarify, the breakout box is not a direct quote from Diane Boyett. "Infiltrated" was my word, and I see how it can be perceived to have a negative connotation. My intention was not to be accusatory, so I could have chosen a less heavy word.
    Thanks for reading, discussing and giving me the chance to clarify!
    Kayla Bell

June 4, 2011 at 12:52 p.m.
  • According to "The History and Heritage of Victoria County", vol. 1, "Juan Linn Elementary School was named in honor of Col. Juan Linn, our first mayor and last alcalde of Victoria. Linn was originally from Ireland and his many Mexican-American friends affectionately called him Juan."

I agree, Dennis--this sounds a whole like better than 'infiltrated', and more accurate, too.

June 3, 2011 at 8:35 p.m.
  • Okay, I waited all day to see if anyone would comment and I cannot let this one go. I just CANNOT. Did anyone see the pull quotes? Am I the only one appalled???

VISD's Dianne Boyette was quoted:

"It (Juan Linn) was founded by an Irishman, John Linn, but the Mexican infiltration in Victoria changed the name to Juan Linn."

The Mexican's INFILTRATED? What??? Is that like the Indians INFILTRATING the Pilgrims?

We are entrusting VISD to educate our children. If this is their OFFICIAL version of history, what else are they teaching the kids? Was Dianne Boyette quoted correctly???

Please, Advocate, follow up!

Dennis Tardan

(PS... sorry for the yelling capital letters. I dearly want this to get noticed and corrected).

June 3, 2011 at 7:47 p.m.
  • Juan's name needs to find a new school.

June 3, 2011 at 7:34 a.m.