Comments

• Can someone please post the names of the city council members that opposed the waterpark idea, that way we can vote against them.

August 12, 2012 at 2:03 p.m.
  • I thought the area had a water problem, to little water that requires water restrictions every couple of years, and to much water the other years. Maybe, it is just me, but should people not be asking where will the water come from during droughts, like right now?

June 12, 2011 at 5:54 p.m.
  • Sorry it did not work out Homer. Wish it would have!

June 9, 2011 at 1:55 p.m.
  • 03
    Good write up. Flip-flops are a better idea. Id go to Cuero for that.

June 9, 2011 at 2:04 a.m.
  • Since some people are intent on personally bashing me, I thought I would take this opportunity to educate some of you. I wouldn't want anyone sounding ignorant!!! If you had done your research before commenting, you would have reliazed that I have only owned Riverside for 4 1/2 years. I will admit that when I purchased it, it was in pretty poor shape. The building was 35 years old and had be neglected. SINCE I PURCHASED IT - I have put a brand new roof on it, renovovated about 80% of the inside, begun renovations in the patio area, cleared and leveled about 75 of the property, redid the entrances with cement, redid the front side walk in front of the building, had a new drainage ditch put in, repainted the front of the building, and begun putting in landscapping. Unfortunately I am not "a friend of the city council or local insider", therefore I did not get any free city money for parking lots or renovations. I had to pay for everything out of my own pocket, or through loans and revenues. Therefore, It is taking me a little longer to get everything done.

As far as the water park is concerned, my partners, Keith and Davina Staff (local business owners) and I, both live in Victoria and call this home. Victoria has always been our first choice for this project. And just like Catipillar, we are looking for the best home for our project. So if the Mayor, City Council, Vistor's Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, or Economic Development Corp. have no interest in bring Victorians a Water Park, you may have to LEAVE YOUR BOOTS IN VICTORIA AND BRING YOUR FLIP FLOPS 15 MINUTES DOWN THE ROAD!!!!!

Homer Escalante

June 8, 2011 at 1:15 p.m.
  • We had the start of a water park on Houston Hwy at one time and it died. Like a lot of other business in boot city.

June 8, 2011 at 6:10 a.m.
  • City counsel and the chamber need find a developer who can get a high-quality water park built. And I don't agree that there's not enough water. If Victoria had enough water to host a nuclear plant, then it has enough water for a water park. Victoria could even rebuild its aging water plants with the tax revenue generated from a water park. We'll all be a lot cooler, and won't have to worry about dying from nuclear radiation

June 6, 2011 at 7:18 p.m.
  • Victoria needs help with it's lack of economic growth! We went to Victoria this last weekend and there are so many closed stores and to make the city attractive Victoria needs zoning laws! Didn't look like this 40 years ago - politicians need to have a vision for the town and they don't! A waterpark is a great idea! Cuero just seems to be a more "accepting" little town - it may someday become the "SugarLand" closer to Victoria! Seem like Cuero is willing to take risks and to "move on" one needs to take risks!

June 6, 2011 at 3:09 p.m.
  • While the idea of a water park in Victoria sounds good, I believe the location at Riverside Park and the proposing owner are not a good idea. The old park plan is way too busy, waterslides, go carts, bumper cars, putt-putt. Sounds more like a carnival. In order for a water park to be successful, someone with real knowledge needs to be behind it. If Victoria is going to be home to a water park, make it a quality one and not some low budget one that will close up in a year or two.

June 6, 2011 at 7:12 a.m.
  • I cannot believe that the city of Victoria is turning its nose up at an idea such as this...we are one helluva town mainly due to our location, why shouldn't we have a water park to attract tourist. We have alot of things going on in Victoria during the summer with semi pro football and amateur baseball....along with all of the other things like this, a water park would be a great idea. Face it....Victoria is growing and we need to expand our horizons. If the city councilman can't see that, it's to move them out and get some that will. I love Victoria and I want it to succeed to it's full potential...having to drive 2 hours to do other things and giving them the tax dollars....makes no cents!!

June 5, 2011 at 11:36 p.m.
  • TXwader. Point well made. Between the 100 yr drought and the folks have no clue how bad it is then someone wants to build a waterpark. Been down to the river lately? Our water systems are about at the end of their useful life and our water loss is horrific. Dig a stock pond and see how long it takes to fill up!!!!!

June 5, 2011 at 10:45 p.m.
  • I can't imagine this not being a win-win situation. What else would bring more people to Victoria in the middle of this summer heat? A boot slogan?

June 5, 2011 at 7:35 p.m.
  • I don't guess anyone is considering the fact that we're in the middle of a horrible drought? We are so close to water rationing it isn't funny and they are talking about a water park.

When we are required to water our yards on odd numbered days and wash our vehicles only on a given day I wonder how important a dried up water park will seem then?

I think we should be more concerned with conserving that which keeps us alive than with a place to go float on a lazy river.

June 5, 2011 at 1:38 p.m.
  • We are way way past due for a water park.Loop 463 does sound like a more logical site. I would drive to Cuero but I'd much rather just drive across town.

June 5, 2011 at 10:02 a.m.
  • "Philosophically, I'm just opposed to subsidizing something that does not produce a lot of primary jobs," he said.

I would think the waterpark and the pumphouse restaurant would create about the same number of jobs. A couple of management positions and then lots of part time/student positions.

Yet one gets help in the form of a parking lot and the other gets nothing.

June 5, 2011 at 9:53 a.m.
  • "Escalante is not the only businessman, however, who thinks Victoria could support such a park. Houston's Phillip McAliley, who managed the Victoria development of the strip center that houses Buffalo Wild Wings, has an option on 65 acres off Loop 463.
    "Right now, I'm trying to get with various people who own and operate waterparks," McAliley said last week. "I can tell you a lot of people have their eyes on Victoria."
    I think the location on loop 463 is a better option for traffic when your compare it to red river road. Plus it does not have the problem of the river flooding it out. The guy who owns riverside convention center does not keep that building looking nice. I just wonder how well kept that park would be. If I was on the councel I would look at how he maintained his existing business. The river center convention center is a terrible eye sore! That is probably why they dont want to go with him. Also 21 acres is not much for a park to expand and grow and 65 acres is a better option. I sure hope the man from Houston succeeds with his effort to develope a park.

June 5, 2011 at 9:33 a.m.
  • I don't see why Victoria won't!!! Look at all the people from Victoria and it's surrounding areas that drive all the way to Splashway in Sheridan!

June 5, 2011 at 9:28 a.m.
  • I could take Mr. Escalante more seriously if he did maintain his current business. Hard to have faith in his plan when the Riverside building looks like it is in need of a bulldozer. If he can't keep that place in shape how will he handle a large waterpark. Last time I was in that place (many years ago) for an event, it was sad, with 4 inches of standing water in the bathrooms.
    Victoria does need something.

June 5, 2011 at 9:13 a.m.
  • Sounds more like the idea is sinking to me. He is just trying to throw it a rope by generating some attention here by threatening to go to Cuero. I say go and take the convention center eyesore with you.
    We definitely need more water activities here. Too bad we won't add more city pools.

June 5, 2011 at 8:48 a.m.
  • If Mr. Escalante can make more money in Cuero, then he should not hesitate to head that way. I wish him luck. ANY business that needs 'incentives' to make a profit, should not exist in the first place. The government should not exist to grant taxpayer money to individuals for free or reduced water, free or reduced sales tax or property tax, free or shared parking lots, and so on.

The 'incentives game' is something that is forced on communities as the generally accepted way to grow. The game stinks! But, if you are going to play the game, at least try to play it well.

IF, it is true that officials in Cuero "courted the developer". I would suggest to them that they drive down to Victoria and actually look at Riverside Convention Center. It is a dump, and most days it looks like the poster child for the weedy lot ordinance. I also predict that Pure Fitness will be gone 6 months after Gold's Gym opens.
    Considering this track record ... I can not imagine "1500 to 2000 people a day" coming from near and far to go to a place that looks like Riverside Convention Center.

Good Luck, Cuero taxpayers.

June 5, 2011 at 4:31 a.m.
  • Someone needs to open one. Its a money making deal. Make it like Schlitterbahn. You will get people from all over to the park. Plus, 60K local residents with season passes.

June 5, 2011 at 1:29 a.m.

I think the location on loop 463 is a better option for traffic when your compare it to red river road. Plus it does not have the problem of the river flooding it out. The guy who owns riverside convention center does not keep that building looking nice. I just wonder how well kept that park would be. If I was on the councel I would look at how he maintained his existing business. That is probably why they dont want to go with him. Also 21 acres is not much for a park to expand and grow and 65 acres is a better option. I sure hope the man from Houston succeeds with his effort to develope a park.

June 5, 2011 at 12:41 a.m.
  • does anyone have a copy of the 'incentives proposal' from the pumphouse / porking lot fiasco ?

June 5, 2011 at 12:24 a.m.
  • only friends of the city council and local insiders get special deals mr escalante

June 5, 2011 at 12:20 a.m.
  • It's a shame that the finer points couldn't be worked out. This would have been a great addition to the city.

And I am sure, if Mr. Escalante had been able to build his water park, the City would have gladly provided him with ample parking very near his place by the park. I hear they have lots of extra parking spaces just waiting to be claimed. They will put them wherever you need them and charge them to the zoo.

Good luck in Cuero!

June 4, 2011 at 11:46 p.m.