Home » Advocate introduces new TV guide » Unverified Comments

Comments

• We actually purchased this magazine since it seemed to be pretty useful. we were promised no interruption in service and sure enough it did not come the first week. To top it off, when we called the number on the previous magazine, we were treated rudely and hung up on. Some service you chose advocate!

March 21, 2011 at 5:33 p.m.
  • @ned: I understand your frustration. In the past few years the Victoria Advocate has deminished in all forms of quality. The amount of "human interest" has become an joke. Now that we have lost the out of town papers it is USA Today or the Advocate. I have also noticed that although the Adcovate states they will print corrections it seems that a simple fact check and a spellcheck would help some but there seems to be "thats close enough, print it" mindset.

March 7, 2011 at 12:43 p.m.
  • Hmmm....Is there a site where I can just print the week of TV listings?

March 7, 2011 at 11:22 a.m.
  • I get my all my local listings from TVguide.com and they are very accurate for the local channels. For the other channels I use my DishNetwork guide for those channels.

March 7, 2011 at 6:27 a.m.
  • Vet - It was not the best. I hated it, in fact. BUT, it was better TO ME than having nothing. I prefer the paper listing to look at. Don't want to have to go to the computer - particularly to scan for the week or for the day. I would use the cable guide before I did that. This just makes TV watching more difficult for me. MHO.

March 6, 2011 at 9:39 p.m.
  • Fact is the TV guide that Vicad was printing was not very usefull. If you watch TV after 10PM use the internet. This was not to serve the readership. It was to increase the Advocates bottom line. Why do you think there are so many "human interest" stories? Cost.

March 6, 2011 at 9:29 p.m.
  • I use the tv guide on cable....when I want to see what is on at the moment or on specific channels in the next couple of hours. But I like a paper listing so I can scan the day's TV listings and even scan for the week.

Hopefully, one of those advertising based magazines that are mailed out will capitalize on this opportunity.

Surprised we still get the paper newspaper. After all, we can get the news online too. Not happy. Nope, not happy.

March 6, 2011 at 9:12 p.m.
  • We also have TV listings on our website. Just go to our entertainment section and click on the TV listings:

You're right that many people prefer to get their TV listings digitally these days. For those who want a printed book, we think this is the best one in the Crossroads.

March 6, 2011 at 7:06 p.m.
  • If you want TV listings, you can go to this site and get local listings. I am not going to pay for something I can get on line when I need it.

March 6, 2011 at 6:45 p.m.
  • This is a waste of money, the old TV guide was a lot better. I'll drop my subscripton when it expires. This was the only reason I got the paper, is to get aTV guide. The paper has really gone down!

March 6, 2011 at 5:37 p.m.
  • We appreciate your feedback. To elaborate on the story, our readership studies indicate only about a fifth of our customers use a printed TV guide these days. That number continues to decline with the advent of digital TV.

We certainly want to continue to serve those who value a guide, though. These expanded package competes most favorably with TV Guide, which has discontinued providing regionalized listings. We formed this partnership with a national company that specializes in offering this top-notch product across the country.

Most of our readers no longer use any printed TV guide, so we no longer saw value in printing this for all. Our circulation department has prepared to provide this specialized delivery. We expect we may in the future provide other targeted products as we continue to fill specific niches, along with providing your Advocate for a general audience.

March 6, 2011 at 3:19 p.m.
  • What a sorry deal! I agree, I think it will be very confusing for the delivery people. Although it is a nice presentation, it is still just the same old tv guide. I say trash it and continue with the old one. It is NOT worth $39 per year. Very disappointed in the Advocate.

March 6, 2011 at 1:21 p.m.
  • "Many of our faithful TV book readers have told us they want more, which is why we've taken this step."

Well......why did you take it away from us in the first place? Just give it back to us.

Or, heck - just ask Port Lavaca Dodge, Ford, Chevy, etc. to sponsor it for us. He'll do that.

March 6, 2011 at 12:24 p.m.
  • "I love the smell of profits in the morning". I am sure the Vicad will increase the real news in each edition now that they have all that unused space.

March 6, 2011 at 12:11 p.m.
  • i hope vicad isnt depending on this as a steady revenue stream

March 6, 2011 at 11:58 a.m.
  • Sounds like it's gonna be confusing for the paper throwers. Can you just switch out the Classifieds for the TV Guide at my house? Thanks.

March 6, 2011 at 11:22 a.m.
  • Ned - that's correct.

And Edith Ann - you are also correct that those who will pay for a TV guide are already taking, well, TV Guide. We are.

I think this is a lousy deal any way you look at it. So for those who are not willing to spring for an extra amount beyond their newspaper subscription, they will have NO TV listings to look at. For me, that's okay, because with satellite, and I know now with cable, you have an on-screen guide that tells you all you need to know about programming. But not everybody is comfortable with that, like my grandmother, hence she subscribes to TV guide (okay, she also likes the Hollywood gossip!).

Just another disservice to a large segment of the VA's population.

March 6, 2011 at 11:14 a.m.
  • Now folks. It's just business. You know we are also getting closer to the day when the on-line VicAd will no longer be free for non-subscribers. It's just business. Get over it......

March 6, 2011 at 11:09 a.m.
  • So from now on....we can either pay extra to get a TV Guide or not pay extra and get nothing? Who's bright idea was this?

March 6, 2011 at 10:53 a.m.
  • Gee, this is what you used to have until a few years ago. And now you're going to charge for it? Those folks who don't mind paying for a TV guide are probably already subscribing to TV Guide.

Good luck with this.

March 6, 2011 at 7:49 a.m.