Comments

• The story presents as fact that the university is going to grow and expand beyond the current physical plant's capacity. Where are the numbers of actual students in attendance at Victoria to support such?

March 12, 2011 at 8:07 a.m.
  • Sara Leperio.

If I have proven a point, why couldn’t the Victoria Advocate and its editorial board. I’ll say this 2012 election is coming, this I hope will be an issue.

March 12, 2011 at 2:26 a.m.
  • Writein,

Exactly! You have just proven my point.

March 11, 2011 at 5:43 p.m.
  • Sara.

When are you going to look at the campaign funds, the State rep recive from Texas A&M over the years? People in this are need to question their local government.

Here is a link...... http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblo...

March 11, 2011 at 4:18 p.m.
  • So...do the students who graduate from College Station go off and find great jobs in College Station? Don't think so; they too will continue to leave Victoria. My advise, stay connected with a University that is associated with a metropolitan/city like Houston - it might rub off and be of help to smaller towns like Victoria. UH took a chance with Victoria when no other university was willing to bet on the town and it's people. Still, it's no surprise that the politicians in Victoria would want to go with A&M - it's time to move on - cowboy and boots mentality hasn't helped Victoria "advance" - think of a better slogan to promote Victoria and stay with a more diverse and progressive university.

March 11, 2011 at 3:54 p.m.
  • Jared,

so true, very sad. I don't think everyone is like that though. I think it is more a reflection of the "negative" person themselves. In other words those who "view ANY good deed as some subversive measure to profit" are more likely to harbor those characteristics themselves. They can't trust anyone because they themselves can't be trusted. They cannot belive anyone could act for the good of the community. what sad, unhappy, lives they must lead.

March 11, 2011 at 3:49 p.m.
  • BS Spotter.

You are my hero!!!!!

March 11, 2011 at 3:49 p.m.
  • "The sad thing is, in this society, we view ANY good deed as some subversive measure to profit. No one can do any good deeds without being thought of as having some alterior motives."

This has its roots in the classical economic theories which thought that man can only act for his own benefit seeking or to negate pain.

March 11, 2011 at 3:42 p.m.

March 11, 2011 at 3:38 p.m.
  • Another "conspiracy theory" worth noting is whether the City may have doled out $100k to grease the Texas Legislature into passing Morrison's bill. I didn't pen this theory, but I've presented a legal brief procured by a citizen who wants his representative government to obey the law. This theory shot up the plausibility scale when the UHV story broke, so stay tuned.

Did the City pay VEDC to lobby for a UHV ouster?:
    www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/para...

Typically, "conspiracy theory" is used as a lazy debunking device due to the negative connotation it has absorbed over time. The funny thing is, if this theory proves true, it'll literally be a conspiracy to commit an illegal act. That's what makes this theory so interesting. I sincerely hope it's not true.

March 11, 2011 at 3:15 p.m.
  • Gabe, good article that dispells the very vocal conspiracy theory maniacs. Lets be real, a person offered up land for free and to sell additional. Yes he may as a by product benefit, probably will. The sad thing is, in this society, we view ANY good deed as some subversive measure to profit. No one can do any good deeds without being thought of as having some alterior motives. So apparently when you give to your church...you expect something in return. When you give to charity, the same thing. Why is it that we can not think of this man actually giving this out of the kindness of his heart? Do we always have to look at things glass half empty?
    And Justice4all...since when does UHV only have 300 students? It was larger than that...and had most rooms used back when I went there 10 years ago.

March 11, 2011 at 2:51 p.m.
  • RedRage: I know, right? If you heard half of the stupid things I say to my wife, this knucklehead oversight wouldn't come as a surprise.

What do you think about the idea that the university system switch is a ploy to make a few people and families wealthier?

Thanks -- Gabe

March 11, 2011 at 1:05 p.m.
  • It's just like everything else just follow the money and you will find the source. UHV has been married to Victoria for 37 years. I guess the city of Victoria wants something new (becarefull it might cost you dearly)

March 11, 2011 at 12:58 p.m.
  • How could you screw that up Gabe? LOL

March 11, 2011 at 11:36 a.m.
  • Beep: Yes, good spot. Luckily, with your help, I was able to change that last night -- before the newspaper went to press and in time for today's web version. I owe you a big one :) -- Gabe

March 11, 2011 at 9:28 a.m.
  • In regard to the there-is-not-a -conspiracy source interviewed:"Tell me Mr. Fox about the security measures you are taking to protect those hens."

March 11, 2011 at 9:14 a.m.
  • Gabe, don't you mean "Texas A&M University-Victoria?" TAMU has never gone by the name "University of Texas A&M."

March 10, 2011 at 9:04 p.m.
  • Very strange. UH system supported our downward expansion. They have also agreed to the funding request of $71 million or so for the new building. This whole idea of Armstrong wanting to change system because of "projected growth" is at best comical. During the previous 37 years, UHV had been offering programs in Victoria. The two buildings that we have are empty most of the time! Why didn't as a community we show that these two buildings were not enough to fill classes in these 37 years? Even with the current 300 students, the buildings are still empty! If we have 10 classrooms, each with a capacity of 30 students, at any time 300 students can take classes. If you multiply that by 6 (starting the class at 8.30 AM and ending at 6 PM with a 15 minute break), in any given day 1,800 students can easily attend classes and get educated. Therefore, this whole idea is too prematured to commit to the type of investments required. Sorry...I see the whole thing as a shady and sly deal..

March 10, 2011 at 8:01 p.m.