Comments

• RedRage I must apologize for my post. I was angry at the time I wrote it, nothing to do with you or anything else said, just a case of misdirected anger. To answer your question, I think the only way to find where to draw the line is to do long term studies of driving distractions and see which are more likely to cause accidents. However I still believe that cell phones are a leading cause of non-alcohol related accidents.

March 14, 2011 at 1:12 p.m.
  • That hurts me historymajor! LOL!

There are a lot of distractions while driving so why just ban one? And how can you say one is more dangerous than the other?

It amazes me how many times there is an accident reported in the paper that someone comes in here and comments "Oh, they must have been on their cellphone!" What did you people blame accidents on before cell phones?

I'm not advocating texting while driving. I'm just saying it makes no sense to ban one thing while not banning a whole lot of other things that are distracting. Where do you draw the line?

March 14, 2011 at 9:32 a.m.
  • @RedRage

Texting is so much more dangerous that what you have listed. Many times it takes both hands to text, ones eyes must be looking at the phone because most people cannot do it without looking. Depending on the time it takes to compose a text, many thing happen on the road, Maybe a slight curve, a car stops in front of you, and child runs out in front of you, a red light, you drift into another lane, etc.
    With other distractions, most people can at least keep their eyes on the road. Maybe their minds are elsewhere somewhat, but the eyes are still where they should be.
    And I do agree. Women putting on "eye" makeup and lipstick is just as dangerous.
    People who eat can keep their eyes on the road, as can people who are changing the radio station.
    Of course cops cannot watch everyone, but if a wreck results from one of the illegal actions, insurance companies can refuse to pay and the people you hurt or killed, have legal recourse.

March 13, 2011 at 1:48 p.m.
  • It is difficult to understand the people that are supporting texting while driving. Sounds like thay hate the idea of putting their beer down when they see a police car. Really?

Our company requires that if we want to use our cell we pull over and get off the road. If you don't want to do that find another job. It is a condition of employment.

March 13, 2011 at 12:57 p.m.
  • do it! the degree of the cell phone accident is far worse. Look just in our area how many people lost a life or were in a accident due to a phone.

March 13, 2011 at 7:10 a.m.
  • RedRage, you obviously are some poor soul who believes that the world of Orwell's 1984 is just around the corner. First off you lame attempt at scare tactics is tiresome and pointless. Secondly, while I acknowledge that the things you listed are driving distractions they are not nearly as fatal as texting while driving. But I guess you're right and the Thought Police with their jackboots and nightsticks are going to hunt every one of these offenders down. Good Lord go outside and quit typing. It's idiots like you that prevent any meaningful progress for the common good.

March 11, 2011 at 8:14 p.m.
  • While we're at it lets ban people who eat while they drive and women who put on makeup while they drive. Let's just ticket anyone who doesn't have both hands on the wheel at all times. A cop must be able to see both of your hands on the wheel.

Lets get rid of radios in cars too. They are a distraction.

March 11, 2011 at 11:33 a.m.
  • I think this is a fabulous idea! I have worked in the medical field for many years and have seen many sad outcomes when a driver is distracted while operating a motor vehicle.

March 10, 2011 at 6:16 p.m.