Wednesday, October 22, 2014




Advertise with us

7-year-old boy playing with lighter causes house fire, officials say

By Gheni_Platenburg
March 14, 2011 at 7:04 p.m.
Updated March 13, 2011 at 10:14 p.m.

Victoria Fire Department Fire Inspector Frank Naranjo searches the Inez home of Frank and Sonja Lee Mioriin the 600 block of South Farm-to-Market Road 444., for the cause of a fire, which began in a bedroom closet around 12:45 p.m. Monday. Investigators later found the fire was started by a 7-year-old boy who had been playing with a lighter. The fire caused interior smoke damage. No one was hurt.

INEZ - A 7-year-old boy apparently set a house on fire Monday afternoon.

Crews from the Inez, city of Victoria and Victoria County fire departments responded to a fire in the 600 block of Farm-to-Market Road 444 about 12:45 p.m.

Upon arrival, crews found a closet filled with smoke and flames.

Victoria County Fire Marshal Ron Pray said the 7-year-old boy was playing with a lighter in the closet when he accidentally set some clothes on fire.

The fire was contained to the closet and an adjacent bathroom, both of which received heavy smoke damage.

The boy's 67-year-old mother, Sonja Lee-Miori, was at home at the time of the fire.

There were no injuries.

The boy will participate in the County's Juvenile Fire Setting Prevention program, which Pray encouraged all youth with an interest in fire to attend.

"Many times, we find these cases of young children playing with lighters and matches, and sometimes it doesn't get reported," said Pray. " We want to make sure the public knows if you have a child or relative that has played with lighters or matches to seek help."

SHARE

Comments


Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia