Comments

• Brady,

Of course you make some good points. If you don't mind my reply.

1. Smallness. Yes, most college kids go to big schools. How many people do you think a person will really get to know. My experience has shown that many students are strangers on a big campus. I went to a small school in a small depressed and ex-steel mining town that has much less to offer than Victoria. But with the smallness of the school (2000 undergrads), I probably knew hundreds on a first name and close basis and hundreds more on a "I know you because we chatted but have forgotten your name" basis. The former I could still get in touch with today and meet up with them if I was visiting. Big is not desired for many, take a look at the many successful small schools. My experience of big schools wasn't spectacular (UTSA).

2. Take a look around. This forum is a good example, if people didn't care about Victoria, they wouldn't even comment here. I know a blogger here and she is nearing 40K hits and blogs about mainly Victoria. Her readership, people from here and all over, are interested. See the involvement of the community businesses like the Commission on Education, VEDC, etc. Hear the comments from the visitors here.

3. It is a numbers game here. Do you think your voice counts near as much at UT as it does on a small campus? Do you think it easier to make the football team at TAMU-CS or here? This is what I am meaning about "be somebody." I know every students to be somebody, I am talking about level of involvement if desired.

4. Not because I say so, because I have read it from different sources that express this trend:

What is your hangup about Victoria if you don't mind me asking?

March 17, 2011 at 9:40 a.m.
  • While having breakfast in the morning, on your toast do you prefer butter or cow poo? You either want A&M or UHV. We don't have the housing to be a go to college area. We could barly put up a few freshmen. I believe that TAMU is a better university. I think TAMU would do good in Victoria. UHV has had its chance. It did not work out, now it is time to go. Time for new blood.

March 16, 2011 at 4:33 a.m.
  • What would become of Victoria College? Its a great place to get your basics done without the price of all these big colleges.

March 15, 2011 at 10:47 p.m.
  • Good questions, SABirds. I'll add them to my list.
    Gabe

March 15, 2011 at 10:10 p.m.
  • Just where in the he!! do you plan on housing 5-10 thousand more students. They can't house the crummy few hundred they have now without booking every hotel room in the city.

March 15, 2011 at 9:58 p.m.
  • plenty of people enjoy going to school in smaller towns

March 15, 2011 at 9:14 p.m.
  • Jared I can tell you why not Victoria.......Why Victoria?

1. NO most people (college age kids) generally don't like the idea of "smallness". I use to live in a big city when I was in college and I didn't get lost in the "so called shuffle". I knew exactly where I was, where I was going, and where I had been.

2. Is this a statement you truly believe? I have lived in other cities and I saw much more pride in the appearance of buildings and businesses. More pride and support for schools and colleges than I have ever seen in Victoria. The one thing I will concede is that there are nice people here. Although if this is the best we have to offer, give me a break! 100's of cities can boast this and then some!

3. Be somebody? Ask graduates of Texas@ Austin if they plan on being somebody? Rice, Trinity, St.Mary's, UTSA, TAMU, and the list goes on. Really? Did you really put this down as a selling point? C'mon dude this is a down right dumb statement.

4. Yep you're right my neighbors to the left of me are from Canada, the neighbors to my right are from Guadaljara, and the neighbors across the street are from New York City..........OK not really, but whatever. If you say so guy?

March 15, 2011 at 8:58 p.m.
  • @Gabe great job covering this story. however there are many questions left uncovered?

1.) What does UHV administration have to tell us about their conversations with Morrison prior to the bill being filed and their vision for their campuses? I was told that the UHV President was never consulted about this legislation. Is this true? I still don't understand how city leaders and others are making decisions without direct communication with Dr. Smith and his staff of administrators. Are the UHV Administrators actually on board with an A&M takeover? Or do their allegiances lie with UH?

2.) What does A&M's futures plan look like? They obviously have a plan for building here in Victoria. Where will that be and what does that plan look like? Before A&M makes a move this substantial one would think that they have a very detailed plan laid out.

3.) How much is a University going to cost? Not just the bricks and mortar, but all operating cost once this transition is made?

4.) What is the status of the UH search committee on their search for a new President? Is the UH system still moving forward with replacing Dr. Hudson?

5.) How is VC going to be affected? Will the agreements that were agreed upon and put in place when the downward expansion occurred, still be honored by A&M for the duration of the agreements or will they be null and void once A&M takes over? What will this directly and indirectly cost VC and the tax payers that fund VC?

6.) What impact does this have on Texas A&M San Antonio and how does A&M plan on recruiting the San Antoonio region like UHV currently does? Seems like competing interest with A&M's new crowned jewel TAMUSA? Will the UHV recruiters in SA be reassigned to another region? How will they recruit the valley? Won't that be competion for Kinsvuille A&M and CC A&M? How will TAMU-SA, TAMU-Kingsville, TAMU-International, TAMU-CC all be affected?

March 15, 2011 at 8:37 p.m.
  • ... answers to some questions posed in here. Please note, we've already reported the answers to many of these questions, and the stories are available in our online archives and within our UHV special section.

1) "Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the major reason for the sproposed switch is because the UH System refused to build a university away from the current location NOW."

That is one reason leaders want to switch systems. The greater list, as they tell me, we reported in a timeline published last Tuesday. You can read those reasons here: http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/...

2) "Did UH end up soliciting funds from the state for a new UHV campus, or did it not go beyond the planning stages?"

We reported last week that one UH System lobbyist plans to ask the state for these funds -- or to continue as planned, despite realignment efforts. You can read that story here: http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/...

Hope this helps -- Gabe

March 15, 2011 at 2:16 p.m.
  • Students will not be flocking to Victoria just because a switch to A&M is a possibility - what does Victoria have to offer to students or to it's community? Why is the economy in Victoria so poor? People who are voted into office must do something to change the economy in Victoria instead of pretending as though they are doing something by getting involved in and making UHV an issue - get your priorities straight! Also, maybe a change in politics in Victoria has to take place - a huge change! Consider Victoria lucky that UH took it on years ago. What kind of a mall do you have? What kind of jobs do you have for those students (and your community for that matter) when they need extra income? What do you have to offer? No, A&M will not create the " sprawling growth" you need in Victoria. You need to have leaders who have a "VISION" for the town. Don't depend on a university system to solve all your problems because none will - don't be so proud. Ask SugarLand what they did to become the city it has become - remember when SL had a population of a couple of thousand people - Victoria had a population of 36,000+ in those years - what happened? Some people are happy with the way Victoria is today - it starts with the politicians who make decisions affecting the town and the voters who vote them in.

March 15, 2011 at 2:10 p.m.
  • Why Victoria?

1. Small town. If you want to go to a big city and get lost in the shuffle, there are plenty of options. Some people like the idea of smallness.
    2. Nice people. Check Victoria's size. The community atmosphere is pretty outstanding. People care about Victoria. I have lived in other cities and hard to find this quality to this degree here.
    3. Be somebody. Many large universities make it near impossible to be noticed. Small schools allow people outside the top 10% of a high school class get meaningful involvment. For example: sports. Do you think you have a chance to play for Texas A&M CS? However, here there will be plenty of openings if sports are available. Not just sports mind you: drama, student council, band, and the rest of the outside classroom things.
    4. Growth in population. As people are moving across our Southern border, many are also moving from Yankee land to the South. As more numbers go and fill up spots at UH Downtown, A&M CS, UT Austin, the other students will be competing with more students. Why shouldn't Victoria market to these new students?

These are just a few. Can you add more to the list?

March 15, 2011 at 1:05 p.m.
  • Victoria, where people are satisfied with complaining and don't care enough to really do anything about it.

March 15, 2011 at 12:57 p.m.
  • I was talking with my nephew who finally stopped laughing at me ten minutes after I suggested that he attend a Victoria College.
    He really thought I was joking...
    His response.." Victoria huh? So that I can be harrassed by a bunch of bored police, busted for a marijuana seed and ruin my life forever!"
    Not that he smokes dope, but the draconian way the cops here enforce the laws makes college kids run.
    He was really excited about swimming in the barge canal,(forget Barton Springs).
    He wants to ski in the brownish water at colet(not that Aqua blue stuff in the highland lakes).
    He wants to party on the frayed carpet and run down Oak Room, (forget 6th street).
    Forget SXSW, we have Schroeder Hall!
    The fine dinning at the the restaurant where the owner gets stumbling drunk verbally abuses his employees. (forget the Oasis)
    Victoria, where only people from Victoria think its worth visiting.

March 15, 2011 at 12:39 p.m.
  • jags91 is spot on!

I graduated from UHV in 2004. I went 2 years to Victoria College and 2 years to UHV. I didn't have much money growing up so I did what I had to do, and UHV was there. During my time at UHV, the buildings were mostly empty. Where are all these students they claim are at UHV? A majority are online. UHV is a commuter school and a lot of the students in my classes would drive in from surrounding towns and no one wanted to be on campus longer than they needed because they had families, etc to tend to. I was lucky enough to graduate in 4 years because I planned every semester out ahead of time because UHV never offered every class every semester because the demand is not there. Several of my classmates had to push back their graduation dates because UHV failed to offer a class they needed that semester.

My undergrad degree is in accounting and the School of Business is probably the biggest school at UHV. With that being said, classes were small. I remember one of my accounting classes having 8 students in it. UHV wants to expand to some major university when the demand isn't even there.

I am thankful for the opportunities that UHV gave me, but I think the citizens of Victoria have expectations that are WAY too high. Victorians are expecting Texas A&M to come to Victoria and transform UHV into some bustling college overnight. That's not going to happen overnight or even within 50 years IMO.

After I graduated from UHV I found a job in San Antonio and I worked full time and went to school at night working on my MBA at UTSA. UTSA opened almost the same year as UHV (1969), and it has taken them 40+ years to finally began turning from a commuter school into a traditional college but they are not 100% there yet. UTSA has grown to 30,000+ students in the same amount of time that UHV has been opened because the demand is there and its located in a major city. With the addition of football in 2011, UTSA will get more exposure. No one wants to come to Victoria. Why would kids want to come to Victoria when they can go to Houston, Austin, or San Antonio? If they did, UHV would have seen the growth years ago, and it hasn't.

UHV does nothing for its alumni. I have my information updated online for both UHV and UTSA. I receive tons of updates(by mail and email) of activities from UTSA, but nothing from UHV. I've had student workers from UTSA call me with fundraising activities and I have donated money to UTSA for scholarships,etc because they ask for it. I want to help with the vision that UTSA has laid out. I know a lot about it because they actually communicate with their alumni.

Like I said, I'm thankful for the opportunities that UHV has given me. I have a great job and a great life, but UHV would not have been my first choice if I could go back in time and I wasn't poor LOL

Birds Up! :D

March 15, 2011 at 12:14 p.m.
  • I'm fuzzy on this. Did UH end up soliciting funds from the state for a new UHV campus, or did it not go beyond the planning stages? If a request was rejected by the state, would A&M somehow have a better chance at securing funds? Does the poor condition of state finances hurt any university's chances of expanding, especially in a case where an existing campus isn't in dire need of space?

UH system develops plan to ask state for $75 million to build Victoria campus:
    www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2010/ju...

March 15, 2011 at 11:23 a.m.
  • That's what they said about the Victoria's brothel....

(I'll be here all week.)

March 15, 2011 at 11:01 a.m.
  • You know what they say... If you build it they will come!!

March 15, 2011 at 10:58 a.m.
  • Jags91, you are spot on. You bring up some very astute observations, and I believe that this entire venture will be a boondoggle. That is not what I wish at all, and even though I am a proud UH-V alumnus myself, I don't want to see any other university that may take its place fail. I want what is best for the students and this community, and both my heart and my head tell me this proposed bill is not it.

March 15, 2011 at 10:33 a.m.
  • Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the major reason for the sproposed switch is because the UH System refused to build a university away from the current location NOW. The city leaders and the UHV administration want a completely new university off site built right now or at least in the very near future? Is that correct?

The University of Houston System leaders said time and time again that they wanted the community, local leaders, and UHV administration to grow the student population at the current location, prove necessity, and then the UH sytem would determine whether or not they would build an entirely new university based on the need and the growth. Is that correct?

Admittedly, as alum, I will be sad to see the UH system go. I'm finding it hard to believe that the A&M system has promised the hundreds of millions of dollars it will cost to build a brand new university off site. Especially when our community has only given them a "best guess". For about 38 years UHV in Victoria (not Sugarland) hasn't seen a population growth at all. The online classes account for the majoriyty of "student population" and there is virtually no face to face offerings. I'm completely blown away that the city and community leaders honestly believe that there will be 5,000 to 10,000 students here? All I can say is that if the switch happens, I expect to see a HUGE sprawling campus with athletic facilities, a huge university library, student union, event center, gymnasiums, cafeterias and eateries, and all the bells and whistles that go along with a real 4 year University.... and I think the community really expects to see it all happen very, very soon. I also expect to see thousands upon thousands of students flocking to Victoria, Texas to fill this new, beautiful, sprawling campus that our city leaders have said is an absolute necessity. This is a gamble the city leaders now cannot afford to be wrong about.

As far as students just flocking to us by the thousands from Houston and the Valley, I'm not so sure about that. Why wouldn't those same students from the Valley flock to Kingsville A&M or CC A&M? Why aren't those campus populations exploding? Why not Texas A&M San Antonio and the brand new beautiful school they are building to compete with UTSA? If I'm from a small town or a big city for that matter I would much rather be in Houston or San Antonio or Austin. As it is now people don't flock to move here and work here, so why in the world are we suggesting that they are going to just rush to come here as students? This whole process is just simply baffling?

March 15, 2011 at 10:13 a.m.