Comments

• Weren't we told this money was to be used to negotiate in bringing a new business to Victoria? And it had to be hush-hush because the client requested? Now there a whole new reason for the money-lobbyist and educating us? Kinda like the whole parking lot plans changed when things smelled too fishy. I think most people are objecting to being misled by the council yet again.

Previous VA article from Feb.--
    During its meeting last week, the sales tax board met in executive session to discuss a business prospect "with which the corporation is conducting economic development negotiations," according to the agenda.

"Like so many economic development projects, any public conversation can hinder or end negotiations," said Dale Fowler, president of the VEDC. "We have chosen to ask that this project remain confidential for the time being. Should discussions continue to go well and the $100,000 is used, there will be opportunity for full public discussion."

"People need to understand that the confidentiality of negotiations is often at the request of the client, like with Caterpillar," the mayor said. "Not that this special project is another Caterpillar; it's not, but the VEDC needs to have funds on hand. We have no way of knowing how much of it will be spent or what else might develop.

March 17, 2011 at 10:50 a.m.
  • What makes A&M the automatic opportunists? Where's the report showing that they have offered Victoria the best deal? Where's the report that shows who else was considered? Oh Oh Oh....come on Victoria City Council, you can't let something like this happen without a feasibility study!!!! You order feasibility studies when the Mayor has to take a dump. Why not actually call for one when one would be very helpful. A feasibility study and RFP's would me the most useful tools to winning over the public than lobbying and "educating". I don't need someone that I don't trust trying to convince me of something. I would believe someone I don't trust if it was in unbiased black and white.

USE THE $100,000 FOR A FEASIBILITY STUDY AND AN RFP PROCESS.

March 17, 2011 at 10:01 a.m.
  • Who on earth is Jeff Bauknight and who appointed him spokesperson for this commission? Never heard of this guy, and where did he get his facts?

March 17, 2011 at 12:26 a.m.

March 16, 2011 at 7:41 p.m.
  • The current UHV campus is out of space? Less than 400 students actually go to the campus.....I guess things do look bigger wen you are young, I thought that campus could hold far more than 500 people at one time.

March 16, 2011 at 7:23 p.m.
  • Exactly $100,000 set aside for economic development and exactly $100,000 needed for lobbying? How deceiving the politicians in Victoria are! I guess they figure they can "pull the wool" over all Victorians and that none would notice. Vote these people out of office! Don't only write in, talk to other people in Victoria and "enlighten" them on what is happening.

March 16, 2011 at 4:37 p.m.
  • No wonder the state finance's are in such dire straights. What the heck is this really about? Other than the obvious, the lobbyist and Mr. Sizemore, who else is in on milking this boondoggle? What's the saying, "follow the money."

March 16, 2011 at 4:05 p.m.
  • Lamppost...still waiting on an honest response from you. Now that you've heard Dale Fowler say that the portion of the $100K not used for a lobbyist will be spent on an information campaign to educate the citizens OF VICTORIA (and not regions outside of Victoria) about HB 2556, do you still agree with it?

I just want your viewpoint, and I'd like to know why you think it's a good idea. Why should we have to educate Victoria about this? I do see your point regarding educating the folks outside of the Victoria region. Maybe I'm missing something in all of this that has some benefit. Lord knows I've been wrong before.

March 16, 2011 at 4:02 p.m.
  • $100,000 will pay two teachers for a year!

March 16, 2011 at 3:07 p.m.
  • "We are definitely out of space," he said.

Jeff Bauknight is wrong. This is either a lie or he does not know. Either way it is absolutely wrong.

March 16, 2011 at 12:49 p.m.
  • I am all for switching to the A&M system, however this is a shady use of funds. Mike Sizemore (who was once a news anchor in Victoria) also works for the guys trying to bring the nuclear power plant to the Victoria area. No thanks! What exactly are we paying him for? To go out and eat with his buddies in Austin? He was going to do that anyway...but T Michael supports it so it must be a good idea. How much is T Michael getting paid per acre when it comes to mining for uranium on the ranch?

March 16, 2011 at 12:30 p.m.
  • How soon people forget...this is Victoria...what the pheasants want to happen does not matter....the good 'ole boys with the good 'ole old money will make any decision for those of us too poor or not of the right bloodline to make a difference.

March 16, 2011 at 11:50 a.m.
  • i regret voting for Denise Rangel.

"Councilwoman Denise Rangel summed up the general sentiment of the majority of the council and the public that addressed the council.

"The bottom line is there is great potential in A&M coming to Victoria," Rangel said.

March 16, 2011 at 9:08 a.m.
  • so the powers that be are willing to spend $100,000 of your hard-earned tax dollars to shaft the University of Houston? Now, that's gratitude!

March 16, 2011 at 5:52 a.m.
  • Who decides we are out of space? I haven't seen any UHV classes being attended out on the lawn.
    Again it looks like money going into someone's pocket instead of improving Victoria.
    And why did it have to be done in such secret manner, because they knew the majority of Victoria would be against spending the money this way?

March 15, 2011 at 10:28 p.m.
  • So Lamppost...you still for spending money to educate the Victoria community on this bill? I've seen Dale Fowler say several times now that it is to educate VICTORIA, not other regions (as you had said in another article today), about this bill.

I believe you said that wouldn't make sense because it would be 'singing to the choir'. Guess you better sit back and enjoy the music...you're paying for it.

March 15, 2011 at 10:11 p.m.
  • Well Lamppost, I'll just call them all TWICE and cancel out your support. I'll change my voice on the second call so it sounds like a different person too. Stick that in your pipe and take a puff.

This lobbying stuff can go both ways. Any UHV supporters want to pay me 100K to go to the legislature and raise heck ?

March 15, 2011 at 10:04 p.m.
  • Well I intend to call the offices of as many legislators I can get hold of and do some "lobbying" of my own AGAINST this bill. Just to be contrarian and to stick it to the VEDC and City Council.

And you need not spend one nickel on funds to "educate" the public on this move. The Advocate will get the word out that'll do the job just fine.

March 15, 2011 at 9:47 p.m.
  • HB 2556 moves on.

It's going to the Texas House of Representatives Higher Education Committee.

Whose members are: State Representatives Chairman Dan Branch, Vice Chairman Joaquin Castro, and members Roberto Alonzo, Dennis Bonner, Fred Brown, Donna Howard, Eric Johnson, Tyron Lewis and Diane Patrick.

Give these state reps a call. The committee clerk is Dustin Meador at 512-463-0782.

VEDC is preparing to spend $100,000 of sales tax dollars to ensure the opposition is muted in Austin or to better educate Victorians.

Even though these sales tax dollars ($100,000), according to the voters of Victoria, were to be used expressly for infrastructure improvements in Victoria only. When was this mandate, by the voters, changed?

March 15, 2011 at 9:39 p.m.
  • Please folks...do you think Morrison would present a bill to the legislature if she wasn't sure it would pass? We don't need to spend $100K on lobbyists. It's a done deal. Do you think it really matters to the legislature what system is in charge of UHV?

What a waste of money, and what a shady way by (most of) the council to appropriate funds.

March 15, 2011 at 9:38 p.m.