Comments

• Speakup...Ahhh, thank you. The way the story was written, I thought it was saying there was a fourth bomb already built and ready for use. I am glad to learn that what I'd thought all these years was true. Thank you again.

March 17, 2011 at 9:08 p.m.
  • Vet43...If you were as old as a C-47, your tail would drag, too. Magnificent airplane; as are they all. I LOVE round motors.

My dad had been in the Army Air Corps and discharged before the attack on Pearl Harbor. In February, 1942, he got a letter from his benevelent Uncle Sam wanting him back. He was a tail gunner on B-25s until his eardrums blew out one day. The Army grounded him but left him in the same squadron and made a supply sergent out of him. He said it wasn't a bad way to spend the war. Supply sergents got second choice of everything off the ship. Seabees unloaded them -- they got first choice.

March 17, 2011 at 5:11 p.m.
  • C130 is one of the safest aircraft made. Also have a soft spot fot the C-47 (DC-3). Tail may drag but it gets the job done.

March 17, 2011 at 3:15 p.m.
  • I'm not missing this show, it sounds fantastic.

March 17, 2011 at 12:12 p.m.
  • Vet43...You're right about the BUFF. The Air Force really got it's moneys worth out of THOSE airplanes! Another one is the KC-135. It's been around almost as long at the B-52 and is still going strong. Also, take a peek at the C-130 -- it's still in production. Those who think the military is a waste of money should look a little harder at what we ask of them and what we give them to do it with.

March 17, 2011 at 11:49 a.m.
  • It is a Shame that we do not recognize real heros anymore.
    The men who flew these ice cold or boiling hot machines in combat should be our true heroes!
    Kids today do not uderstand that these we not the nice 777's that have all the comforts of home. These were noisy, smoke belching, rattling aluminum cans that left the pilot with permanate hearing loss and other maladies to execute their missions and GOALS!

March 17, 2011 at 10:46 a.m.
  • I have helped at past air shows and loved every moment. The old war birds kick my BP up a notch. They to imagine flying over Europe in 1942-1945 in the B-17 on a bombing run. That took rare courage.

I still get a buzz when I see anything to do with the B-52. I first worked with them in 1964 and they still do the job today.

March 16, 2011 at 1:33 p.m.
  • Will.

You ain't lying. I love airplanes.

March 16, 2011 at 1:03 p.m.
  • This is what will attract people to the Crossroads.

March 16, 2011 at 12:46 p.m.
  • From the story: "Also on hand will be Bill Buchanan, a member of the crew who was to be on board when the third atomic bomb would have been dropped on Japan had it not surrendered, according to a news release from the DAR."

I had always read that the US had built only three bombs: the one that was tested in New Mexico to find out if the idea really worked, the one dropped at Hiroshima and the third at Nagasaki. I had never heard that there was a fourth available if needed. It would be worth the drive out to the airport to visit with Mr. Buchanan to learn about this extra bomb and what the primary target for it was.

March 16, 2011 at 7:40 a.m.
  • Finally something to do with the family in Victoria!

March 16, 2011 at 4:09 a.m.