Comments

• RADIO
    I don't understand. received $3000 to help elect from FRIENDS OF THE UNIVERITY OF HOUSTON PAC. Did I look at this correctly?

March 24, 2011 at 6:49 a.m.
  • Radiobabe

I would urge you to go to www.followthemoney.org and look up Campaign Contributions to Mrs Morrison in 2006 and in 2008.

March 24, 2011 at 6:10 a.m.
  • Radiobabe, do you mean Glen Heger? In the other story it doesn't sound like he is as gung ho to push this through. He states this is a Victoria issue only & by stating it that way I am assuming the other 2 campuses are happy with UHS. Why should those other campuses be forced to change university systems because a privileged few here decided that's what they want?

March 21, 2011 at 8:39 p.m.
  • JackDeuce says: "We need someone who has the best interest of the university and the community at heart not just someone looking to pad a resume."

I agree, and we had someone that fit the bill perfectly. Bring back Tim Hudson.

March 21, 2011 at 6:36 p.m.
  • If there is a question about the data I present, please present your own, with a link included, and not one from any COV source.

The COV, Chamber of Commerce and Crossroads Commission on Educations expectations have all ready been made clear, in their opinion.

March 20, 2011 at 7:07 p.m.
  • The UHV is busting at the seams argument just doesn't hold water, neither does the, the UH system doesn't want UHV- Victoria to grow...

Page 21

UHV Master Plan Enrollment and Reseach Projects
    Main Campus enrollment Full Time Equivelent students
    Actual

Fall 2000--836 Fall 2005--409 Fall 2009--377 % Fall 00-09 -55%

Projections

Fall 2015--1,475 Fall 2020--2,075 % Fall 09-20 451%

What is so hard to understand? A 55% DECREASE in students from 2000 to 2009? Or a expected increase of students from 2009 to 2015, then a 451% increase from 2015 to 2020? That is expected and planned for?

I guess the expansion of the student population, after dropping for four years, just isn't fast enough for some.

March 20, 2011 at 6:54 p.m.
  • Writein
    When I say "insulting" I'm refering to those who question the integrity of the business leaders who have been behind the plan to move UHV into a different system. I am all for civil discussions but when someone accuses the mayor, our representatives and other leaders of being behind the move only in order to line their pockets, it does a diservice to our community and its leaders. Disagree with me all you like, but don't call me a thief just because I have a different opinion then you do.

Regarding the contributions I'm not sure what you're refering to. If you're asking my opinion on the $100k spent on a lobbyist, I have no problem with it. A thriving university will pump millions into our economy so $100k seems to me to be a worthwhile investment. Perhaps the situation could have been handled in a way that was a bit more above board, but I do know that the timing was crucial as to when the bill was filed and when it all became public so I suspect that the community leaders involved didn't want to let the cat out of the bag earlier than was necessary. Again, I wasn't privy to those conversations, but that would be my guess.

If you're refering to contributions made to the campaigns of our elected officials, I've seen no evidence of such so can't speak to it. But I will say that I have faith in Geanie and Glen and believe that they are working in the best interest of our communities.

March 20, 2011 at 5:39 p.m.
  • I really don't understand why Don Smith wasn't notified of Morrison's intent? That boggles my mind that the Victoria Administration wasn't asked or given a heads up. How can you move forward with such a bill with out consulting with the your campus administration? That just seems wrong?

March 20, 2011 at 7:39 a.m.
  • Lamppost, please consult a dictionary and learn how to spell.

March 19, 2011 at 11:05 p.m.
  • You get what you vote for...bottom line, some in Victoria might be intimidated by a metropolitan school because there seems to be no problem among those that live in SugarLand. But then again, most people in SugarLand have college degrees and they understand what good quality education is. Rep. Morrison does not seem to understand what quality education is. Before Victoria can change, those who get college degrees need jobs and they will continue to leave, no matter if it is UH or A&M. A poor economy in a town does not keep degreed people! The economic situation in Victoria needs to be dealt with; that is the town's #1 problem. This representative seems to be picking a school based on the size of it's cheering section! There's more to quality education.

March 19, 2011 at 10:28 p.m.
  • Radiobabe.

I do not hear you mention the campaign contrbutrion. As for you to say that people who are questioning the move is insulting is and insult to the people who have real concerns about local corruption.

March 19, 2011 at 7:33 p.m.
  • Justiceforall...
    Obviously you didn't take the time to attend or you would have seen the crowds packed into the first floor of UHV's new building, the crowd even went up the stairs. The meetings were advertised extensively throught the Advocate and via email through the Chamber and other organizations.

Olderguy...
    UHS doesn't own the property and assets, the people of Texas do. The assets will just be transfered from one management system to another.

March 19, 2011 at 3:03 p.m.
  • "UH-Victoria
    Master Plan Enrollment and Research Projections
    Major Highlights
    In summary, UHV’s growth over the next ten years will be predicated upon enrollment increases
    resulting from:
    • Downward expansion and the growth of a residential university in Victoria.
    • Continued growth at the UN-System centers located in Sugar Land and Cinco Ranch, and in online
    enrollment.
    • Further development of existing nursing programs and the implementation of related degree
    programs in the health professions.
    These initiatives, along with continued enrollment growth in existing programs, will allow UHV to fulfill
    its mission as an educational leader in the Coastal Send region of Texas and contribute to the State’s
    Closing the Gaps initiative."....

"The attached projections assume that sufficient space is available to accommodate increased student
    enrollment through 2020. Accommodating enrollment growth will be especially critical for continued
    growth in Cinco Ranch and Victoria where on-campus housing will be essential."

Who said the UH system said No? They said not now, in the future.

Read it all, the paste is from page 18 and 19.

Take a look at page 29, notice the date 6/05/10, for UH campus ratings based on Overall facilities demand and usage standards for
    classrooms (45 hours/week) and class labs (35
    hours/week)

• Instructional utilization standards for classrooms (38
    hours/week) and class labs (25 hours/week)
    • Space occupancy standards for classrooms (68%) and
    class labs (77%)

Interesting stuff.

March 19, 2011 at 2:30 p.m.
  • It is rather unfortunate that more than 65% of the students and faculty are in cinco ranch and sugar land yet they were not consulted. A small group meeting consisting of a few people in Victoria (rooms filled, how many can the room accommodate?) in a sly and clandestine manner moved with the bill catching everyone by surprise. Now you're telling us that everyone was aware? Wake up. Politicians lie is an accepted axiom; victoria politicians lie to the core...The worst lie told ever...

March 19, 2011 at 12:30 p.m.
  • people2010: UH made a commitment to Victoria when absolutely no one else had any interest. What value do you place on that? I suspect UH is about to get ripped off big time if the Aggies, Morrison and T. Michael have their way. By the way, the tone of your comments lead me to believe you are especially close to this situation. Could you possibly be employed by the good representative?

March 19, 2011 at 12:30 p.m.
  • I am sure that UHV pays some sort of an administration fee every year to cover the systems cost, since all Texas systems do that, I can not imagine that the UH system is any different and I believe the paper said that the buildings were owned by the state not the system, but would need to go back and look at that to make sure.

March 19, 2011 at 12:23 p.m.
  • so who is going to reimburse UH for it's investment in Victoria? And what amount? Should we send the bill to College Station? or the good representative's office? or possibly to T. Michael himself?

March 19, 2011 at 11:15 a.m.

March 19, 2011 at 10:58 a.m.
  • The community leaders and Mrs. Morrison have had extensive talks with the UH System. The system knows what is going on. Maybe the Victoria group was not allowed to go through UHV to have their questions and concerns answered, maybe they HAD to go through the UH system.

The community forums were open to all and anyone was welcome to come and address their concerns. It was in the paper and posted online, if you did not come, you only have your self to blame.

March 19, 2011 at 10:58 a.m.
  • Jared...

As always, excellent points!! I also attended several community meetings including two hosted by UHS Regents. The outpouring of public support for downward expansion and a destination campus was overwhelming with the rooms filled to capacity and overflowing with people from every segment of our community. Just because many of you failed to show an interest and attend the community meetings doesn't mean they didn't happen and doesn't mean that the community voice wasn't heard.

Additionally, The Victoria Chamber of Commerce and Victoria Builders Association have both publically come out in support of Rep. Morrison's bill and I suspect that as time goes on, more organizations will follow.

To say that this movement is supported by a small group of "good old boys" out to make a buck shows a complete lack of understanding of the history of how we got here and is, frankly, an insult to the people of this community... many of whom support this move.

March 19, 2011 at 8:32 a.m.
  • There are a lot of good points made in these comments. I would like to see A&M make a statement such as " We would welcome Victoria into our system." I don't think this would be considered advocating legislation.

March 19, 2011 at 8:07 a.m.
  • Sometimes waiting to hear an answer is good.

I went to a number of the Commission's open meetings and they allowed people to comment. The Commission itself was made up of many people from the area and it listened to input as I can attest. If there is something wrong and you dislike it, get involved. I attended the meetings (as an outsider, not a member of the commission or any committee) and was often one of maybe 10 others like myself. I saw a problem, mentioned my solution, they listened, and solved it by next meeting.

How A&M made any public comments yet? I doubt it because they are not allowed to by law. Whenever the moment they are aloowed to, I bet you will not be able to miss it.

What does Victoria have? An abundance of people that really care for their community. The Commission is a good example, a huge amount of community doctors, businessmen, educators, non-profits, elected officials, etc. came together for a common cause to show support for Victoria education. Many of the people have different political backgrounds but were united for a common cause. With the size of Victoria (small city) I found it rather remarkable such a wide spectrum of people who all have busy lives were so organized.

March 19, 2011 at 7:12 a.m.
  • Sorry to admit, VVB, but as a resident who has a choice to live where they desire, even Hallettsville is looking pretty good compared to Victoria.

We are witnessing the piece-by-piece destruction of a community in the 21st Century. In 50 years if historians take an interest, they will discover how the ruling elite of a local community discouraged their tax-paying base of citizens to the point of retreating to other parts. All that will be left are the extremely wealthy, their well-kept serfs, and a massive collection of impoverished citizens.

Ultra-High taxation and high insurance rates will lead to a net zero sum growth in Victoria by the year 2020. While the number of inhabitants may remain stable, the gross income rate will fall compared to the net rate of inflation.

Victoria is on the way to becoming the next Crystal City. A place destroyed by corrupt and incompent politics.

March 19, 2011 at 1:08 a.m.
  • Pretty much Bighorn....I've been saying Victoria is a border town without the charm of the border.

March 19, 2011 at 12:43 a.m.
  • The only demographic Victoria is a destination for illegal aliens. Ask the folks out at Chubbys...

March 19, 2011 at 12:28 a.m.
  • I still don't believe Victoria will ever be a "destination" university...it has nothing to offer...it will always be a commuter college, regardless of the umbrella it falls under. Remember it's all about location, location, location.

March 18, 2011 at 11:49 p.m.
  • Sounds to me like Rep. Geanie Morrison lacks intelligence. How the heck was she elected? Wow! Did she consult with "the people" from Victoria who elected her or just politicians? Afterall, it was the people from Victoria who elected her... She must be reminded that she is an "elected" official and her business is the "people's business" not her own. And...do only a few people decide what's good for Victoria? Is that why the economic and job market in Victoria is so poor? Only "a few" make decisions? Where are the people in all this?

March 18, 2011 at 11:24 p.m.
  • Further evidence that this is all about money...nothing more...nothing less. Why do you think A&M officials won't comment?

March 18, 2011 at 9:17 p.m.