Comments

• Considering Sugar Land and Cinco Ranch make up the majority of the students that attend UHV...ya, I think we should care how they feel.

Coyote...you sound like some of the city leaders. 'Do we really care what the citizens think of this? It's none of their business!'

March 22, 2011 at 11:21 a.m.
  • Do we really care how Sugarland and Cinco feel about the switch? It's none of their business. UH has snubbed its nose at Victoria. Move on to a more forward-thinking situation. Gig 'em, Aggies. If A&M wants to do this I say go for it.

March 22, 2011 at 11:15 a.m.
  • vox,
    I am current and out of 10 online classes, only 2 were like an actual teacher was teaching. Whether good or bad, online classes are more of a self teaching module. One teacher could not even respond about a test question as she had not seen the test.

March 21, 2011 at 10:24 p.m.
  • kash, I don't think that's a fair statement at all. When did you attend?There are many instructors that do an excellent job of engaging students in their online classes. To say that 'most' don't do a good job is not true.

Of course there are a few that aren't that great at the online thing. It's not an easy thing to do. I'm sure if you could poll the professors, most of them would rather teach face to face than online anyway.

I do know that quite a few of the professors have gone through training to improve the way they run their online courses.

March 21, 2011 at 9:23 p.m.
  • Most of the teachers online don't teach, one even has everything done through the textbook website-never sees the anything the students do, just gets a grade to post. Seems crazy to have to pay extra for online classes that actually take less work from the teachers.

March 21, 2011 at 9:07 p.m.
  • taxpayer- again, you make some excellent points. so, if i understand what you're saying, it's not because the uh system, uh-v or the community didn't do enough to promote growth, it's just that it didn't happen.

newcowboy- i can't speak for anyone else, but personally i don't think any university in victoria, regardless of the system, will ever be a major university. that doesn't mean that we can't have a great university. we don't need to be another ut or atm or tech or baylor or a university with 30,000 students. i do believe, however, that we should have a better school than what have had.

personally, i don't think that uh-v has ever come close to reaching it's potential and place the blame on the uh system. they have been behind the wheel for 40+ years and what we have now is all they have to show for it? i also think that the community has to take a portion of the blame. it has taken us this long to stand up and demand more from the system. had we done it, say 20 years ago, i think we would have a much better school.

March 21, 2011 at 6:33 p.m.
  • I think it's pretty clear that we need to open a few new bars in Victoria! If we could just get listed by Playboy as a "party school" then the students would flock here.

March 21, 2011 at 6:26 p.m.
  • It will all cost more than $100,000. Why don't the promoters for the change give projected costs - surely they must have an idea?? If they can't give an answer, then they don't know what they're getting themselves and the people of Victoria in. Give the public a breakdown of real COSTS TO MAKE THE SWITCH. It will be very costly/expensive. Victorians, you are asking the right questions.

March 21, 2011 at 3:08 p.m.
  • Just my opinion, but people select a University or College for various reasons. For me I went to one of the largest Junior Colleges in the State because of the course study that was offered and that the courses would transfer. I then selected a University to finish my degree at based on the degree I was seeking, the quality of the degree plan and I wanted a small University. People here in Victoria need to decide what they want. If they want to be another TAMU, UT, Tech or such I doubt it will happen. If they want a good quality University - small may be what is obtainable.
    Another issue - my daughter obtained her Master from a major University and never set foot on campus. She didn't even walk, her DP was mailed to her.
    Times change - not sure there is room for another major University in Texas - but is that what people in Victoria picture?

March 21, 2011 at 3:07 p.m.
  • thanks for the input taxpayer, but my question was about the growth of the university not the reasons why graduates would or would not stay after receiving their degrees. i don't think graduates choosing to stay in a community after graduation has that much of an impact on the size of the university. when i attended UT there were 50K students and Austin only had about 200K in population. my oh my how things have changed.

what do think is the biggest factor when considering how little the university has grown in 40 years?

March 21, 2011 at 2:30 p.m.
  • Question:

Who is responsible for the lack of substantial growth of UH-V over the past 40 years? Is it the UH System, UH-V or the community of Victoria?

I know where I place the blame, but I'm interested to see what the rest of you think.

March 21, 2011 at 1:12 p.m.
  • Always amazes me how the UHV advertising shows up on the pages where the discussion or article is about UHV going out and TAMU coming in. Is this just luck?

March 21, 2011 at 1:08 p.m.
  • As most everyone else in this thread knows, there will be costs to this changeover(if it happens), on top of the amount that has been spent so far to promote it. A cost is a "cost", including the $100,000 lobbying amount.

In addition, TAMU will be setting their sites on the actual growth numbers at Cinco Ranch and Sugarland. 800 students here, versus over 4,000 at those two locations, with the latter two being more desirable for TAMU to get results for such a switch. They may or may not want this location to be under their wing. If they do, I am certain it will not be a main site, but a satellite of the others.

For those who do not know the local numbers of students(Victoria versus Cinco Ranch and Sugarland); Please take a look at how they are split before you post a nasty reply that does not look at that student population in your logic.

That will be TAMU's logic if they look at this seriously and they will be more interested in Cinco Ranch and Sugarland: those are two places they could drool over for growth.

March 21, 2011 at 9:54 a.m.
  • This is a joke. The switch will cost tremendous expenditure just like any other acquisition. In addition to stationaries, there are branding issues involved, advertisement, blackboard and their compatibility, training costs, etc. Where did these politicians get their degrees from? Just printed on stationery? Also, all the alumni need to have their diplomas reprinted again. Taxpayers, beware.

March 21, 2011 at 9:21 a.m.

March 21, 2011 at 8:08 a.m.
  • With a one-sentence statement from Morrison on the question of how much the switch would cost, it is clearly evident which side the Advocate is on.

After all, it doesn't take much common sense or research to realize what is entailed. So why wasn't any of this addressed???

And back to Morrison's statement: If she honestly believes that it won't cost taxpayers a dime, I have some ocean-front property near Phoenix I'd love to sell to her.

March 21, 2011 at 8:01 a.m.
  • Justataxpayer,
    I'm with you on the "no cost" pipedream. There is a thing named"rebranding" that is very expensive in the fact that anything and everything that mentions UHV or Jaguares will ahve to be changed. EVERYTHING! If not us taxpayers,thon who? Come on Gabe,get real!!!
    Patrick Barnes

March 21, 2011 at 7:40 a.m.
  • justataxpayer...you are right. I know for a fact that the student information systems are not the same and would have to become compatible. You are talking at least several million dollars right there (I think VC's new system cost around $3 million). That's not including the thousands of man-hours it will take for the implementation and training.

March 21, 2011 at 6:07 a.m.