Comments

• WWW,
    the point I was trying make about the Wright amendment, I can book a flight on SW from Dallas Love to Orlando Fl. make one stop and not change planes be there in 3 hrs on the same ticket. Prior to modification to the Wright amendment a traveler could not fly on the same ticket to another destination without the purchase of another ticket. FAA Part 135 as a commuter airline with less than 56 seats a person can fly non-stop from Dallas to any where, the Wright amendment doesn’t apply.

I think we’ve got off topic just a little.

March 24, 2011 at 12:08 a.m.
  • 1. The $438 r/t VCT to IAH is a not a real issue since NOBODY DOES IT!
    2. VCT to IAH is GREAT GREAT GREAT when you want to easily connect with a flight that takes you to a major city ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. And, right now, you can do that for less than $438 if you go about it the right way. (And you get 1000 miles or 2 points r/t for the VCT-IAH segment!)
    3. If weather or maintenance impacts your flight you will have a lousy time at VCT making an alternate plan. But that is true anywhere unless you plan in advance. If you positively have to be somewhere the next day, book on the 0600 flight and if it doesn't work you can drive and still catch a flight at IAH anywhere. If the 1640 flight is delayed you no longer have any/many back up plans if you roll up to the gate after 2000 -- unless you are flying international.
    4. VCT (except for school breaks) is used by business people. We are coming and going. Every flight I'm on has at least 7-10 people on it. Most of those people are in oil.
    5. As for the flight times, they are sometimes not convenient, but you learn to make them work for you. It is a great convenience to be able to make same day lunch meetings in DC or NYC like I can now. I'm not sure if I can do that flying to an FBO and hitchhiking to the major carrier, checking bags, and getting through TSA (like SeaPort wants me to do) is going to work as well. I agree with windy: I'd like the SeaPort guy to walk me through how I'm going to make my flight to Singapore or Riyadh flying his airline. I know exactly how it will happen on Colgan/Continental/United.

March 23, 2011 at 9:11 p.m.
  • I'm assuming the $438 is for a round trip to IAH from VCT with no connections. I have just recently booked two different flights through Continental. The add on cost from VCT vs flying out of IAH, New York airfare was $179 more and the Costa Rica was just $79 more. If you are using the VCT flight as a connection flight, the cost isn't that bad.

I fly from VCT fairly often. Convenience is hard to beat, customer service is fine and TSA security a breeze. In my opinion well worth the cost.

The only problem I have had is an occasional cancelled flight, really screws up plans! But that can happen anywhere.

Given the options, I would not change a thing.

March 23, 2011 at 8:59 p.m.
  • JLordTree...Fine, you want an airline to fly from VCT to DFW. You have one in mind? There are only two doing the bidding and neither of them offers DFW. You have a choice of good service out of IAH or rather iffy service from DAL. It doesn't matter to me; I'm not gonna be flying anywhere, but for those who do want to go someplace other than Dallas, the Continental/United Connection flights to IAH are the best bet for Victoria.

March 23, 2011 at 8:06 p.m.

March 23, 2011 at 8:06 p.m.
  • @GridironJS, thanks for reminding us. I forgot all about that mess. I remember friends of ours calling us at work asking if we wanted to run over to the airport to fly in circles over Victoria. hahaha
    Until your post, I had forgotten all about that. What a comedy of errors.

March 23, 2011 at 3:46 p.m.
  • If it was a pleasant experience flying out of Victoria, more would do it. Putting the customers first is not one of their strong suits.
    My daughter used to use the airport, and she will never do it again. She had too many bad experiences. She now just drives to Austin.

March 23, 2011 at 3:40 p.m.
  • my opinion is to leave it the way it is...All the people i know, Houston is the city of choice, with Austin, San Antonio and Corpus following closely. Dallas is too far away. Maybe with Seaport bidding Pinnacle will be true to its word and lower the price and change the flight times. People fly out of here for convenience not price!!! I would rather be delayed out of Houston than Dallas because it would be easier for me to get home if i really needed to get home in case of emergency!!

March 23, 2011 at 2:16 p.m.
  • That is why i said we should look at connection to DFW not DAL or IAH. When I referenced a Dallas connection I meant a DFW. While demand may not be huge now, it will be larger as time goes and would make sense for business travelers who want to make a direct flight in. They wont rent to drive from Dallas to Victoria, where you are right they can from Houston/Austin/San Antonio.

On a side, unrelated note. It is strange that so many people fly into IAH, where my last few flights (including international) have been cheaper to fly out of Austin. Not to mention a whole lot faster and easier.

March 23, 2011 at 1:32 p.m.
  • I don't have any experience flying in and out of Victoria, but I do know that a lot of business travelers don't make the connection from IAH to the regional airports on Continental. I never did. When you figured that you came into Terminal C and then had to transfer to another terminal to make the connection with the commuter flight, had to wait an hour or more (most times) for the connection - I just always rented a car (which I had to rent anyway) and drove. Going the other way - same thing - I could almost always drive in a shorter time then the connection wait.

And to think our tax dollars are being spent to keep airplanes - with much less than full passenger loading - coming to Victoria.

March 23, 2011 at 12:04 p.m.
  • JLordtree...You are right that there is no logical sense in a round trip VCT-IAH_VCT. But, that trip does not figure into the equation. From IAH, you can quite literally go anywhere. From Love, you can't. Not easily and seamlessly anyway. When I worked for Continental Express we were asked repeatedly by the chamber of commerce about non-stops to Dallas. We did the surveys and there just wasn't enough interest to make it worthwhile. Heck, look at traffic out of VCT now. At one time there were seven flights a day. Now, there are two and, according to the boarding totals reported in the Advocate, those are mostly empty. If not for the Essential Air Service subsidies, there would be NO commercial air service into and out of Victoria.

Itisi...The Wright Amendment is still in effect. Direct connections are restricted until 2014.

From a Love Field press release: "Wright Amendment: After a tremendous effort that started in November 2004, a bill that repeals the Wright Amendment passed Congress by an overwhelming majority on Sept. 29, 2006. The bill was signed into law by President Bush and validated by the Federal Aviation Administration in October 2006. The bill allows airlines to operate nonstop service from Dallas Love Field to longhaul destinations starting in 2014.

2014 doesn't help travellers now or nex year or the year after that. If SeaPort wins the competition with Continental/United Connection, the ultimate loser will be the city of Victoria. Even after 2014, going to DAL instead of IAH or DFW doesn't help a whole lot. IAH and DFW not only offer domestic and international non-stops NOW, they offer a variety of domestic and international airlines that DAL does not. Does anyone seriously think KLM, British Airways or Korean Airlines will develope DAL as a destination? It is ridiculous. Victoria needs to stay with what they have, warts and all.

March 23, 2011 at 11:51 a.m.
  • I wish Pinnacle would give a Victoria-Dallas option and dump the Houston flight (really, there is no example I can think of that a round trip flight to Houston is cost effective or even time effective). I dont like Seaport proposal because of how they operate (not bad, just not passenger friendly). I know at one time they tried Vic to Dallas for like 3 months, but really is that enough time to give something when people tend to book things much further in advance? Love Field, or better yet DFW gives as many travel opportunities as IAH/Hobby and is much more difficult to just drive to. I will say, no matter what, we need to keep flights coming into and out of Victoria...just need more flexibility. We need them especially if we want to keep major business coming in...we just have them going to the wrong city.

March 23, 2011 at 10:41 a.m.
  • Remember back in the good old days (A few years ago) when the Victoria Airport and the Good ol' boys that run the city/county emptied all the classrooms at VISD and offered free airplane rides to all the students and teachers to boost the "ridership" numbers! For a town and group of city and county officials that continually cease to amaze all of us, that had to be the biggest coup to hit this town in a long time! I still shake my head and laugh, when I think back to that nonsense and ask myself "Did that really happen?"

March 23, 2011 at 10:06 a.m.
  • For $400, I'd just drive to Houston. By the time I did all the airport stuff, the time would be the same.

March 23, 2011 at 9:12 a.m.
  • WWW,

The Wright Amendment was repealed in September 29, 2006 which allowed indirect non-stop flights from Love Field, which means they no longer had to sell separate tickets to other destinations. There were some compromises in that repeal, but it’s good through 2014♠

March 23, 2011 at 8:44 a.m.
  • I find the subsidy an appropriate use. Why? Because it allows Victoria, a small city, to compete in a market of other much larger metros.

March 23, 2011 at 8:01 a.m.
  • Zero...Yeah, I just found out about the Pinnicle buy-out of Colgan. When I worked there, it was still Colgan. I didn't know about the new parent company.

Flying from Victoria to pretty much anywhere in the world is pretty simple. Continental/United out of Houston provides non-stop flights to most of the country and foreign destinations in Asia, Mexico, Central and South America and Europe. SeaPort goes to Dallas Love. From DAL, non-stops are limited to Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma and New Mexico. And to do that, you'd have to retrieve your bag, exit the secure area, check in with another airline and have the fun of going back through security to make more friends. Going through security only in Victoria is enough in itself to make me vote for the Continental/United Connection service. It would be interesting to see just how SeaPort would transport a person from Victoria to Seattle, for example.

March 23, 2011 at 8 a.m.
  • OBTW, I don't know about the 1000 planes thing, but Allison Miles may be confusing flights per day with actual airplanes. One airplane can make many fpd. I believe that Colgan runs less than 18 Texas-based SF340s (11 in Continental paint), which doesn't compare badly to 14 (much newer) Pilatus PC12s offered by Seaport. One versus two engines is an issue, but the PC12's run by the USAF in special ops seem to be doing fine.

March 23, 2011 at 1:04 a.m.
  • Colgan didn't leave. Pinnacle bought Colgan in 2007. And nobody flies just to Houston -- my last trip to the coast was less than $438 r/t on Continental. The Colgan/Continental/United connection in IAH is pretty much seamless. I'd want to hear more about about seacost's ties with American.

March 22, 2011 at 11:55 p.m.
  • "A passenger traveling to Atlanta, for instance, might leave Victoria on a Continental plane but take a Southwest Airlines plane on a connecting flight."

Who told the reporter that was possible? Sprxfly is correct about Southwest. They don't serve either IAH or Atlanta. And they don't interline tickets or bags. The example in the story is completely impossible. Milewski said, "It's very, very important that the community looks at both proposals, get as much information as they can," If he really feels that way, then news stories about the airllines should at least not include incorrect information about connections -- especially twice in one sentence!

I do have a question, though. When did Pinnacle replace Colgan as the Continental (United?) Connection carrier in Victoria? This is absolutely the first time I've heard this.

Another problem with the SeaPort bid to fly to Dallas Love is that even if one was to fly to Love and purchase a separate ticket, the Wright Amendment prohibits flights out of DAL to destinations farther away than the four states surrounding Texas. Efforts are underway to either ammend Wright or repeal it, but that hasn't happened.

March 22, 2011 at 10:37 p.m.
  • Well Milewski, since you asked......

I vote we close the airport completely and save the county and the federal govt (hint-taxpayers) some cash.

"The Victoria Regional Airport is part of the United States government's Essential Air Service program, which subsidizes airlines to operate in smaller communities, said Jason Milewski"

If the airport needs to be sudsidized by taxpayers than it should just go away. If an airport for Victoria was so "Essential" then it should have no problem supporting itself. But it can't so it won't and we, the taxpayer, will pay so a very few people each year don't have to drive themselves to a real airport.

March 22, 2011 at 8:14 p.m.
  • OK, first, one cannot purchase a ticket to fly first on Continental/Pinnacle asnd then Southwest ia Houston. They each use different airports there.(CO IAH and WN HOU) Also, the example uses Atlanta. Well, Southwest does not even serve Atlanta. Finally, I seriously doubt Pinnacle operates 1,000 aircraft. If you include all companies in Pinnacles' owners umbrella, maybe close to it. That is all I have to comment on. Thank you.

March 22, 2011 at 7:57 p.m.