Comments

• I am actually very excited about this change. I have been recycling for years and I'm now happy that this change could result in a wider range of products that are allowed to be recycled.

I can say from experience that the hours from the recycling center on Huvar St. have been difficult to work around (for those of you who don't know they are closed Sun, Mon Tues, and only open on certain hours the rest of the week) so when we recycle from home and work it becomes a bit difficult.

Curbside pick-up will be WELL WORTH the "king size snickers bar a month" as "Jared" so accurately put it. The idea is that the city can now make more money than ever before by using these recyclables to sell to companies for a large profit (if they sell at the right time).

Now, if this profit actually goes back into our city, this will be a win-win project. Not only are we extending the life of our current land-fill but we are also stimulating our local economy... also, please keep in mind that this will create some jobs too and we can always use some of those!

OH, and to those of you who are actually complaining about another trash can... get over yourselves. Does one trash can really take up that much space?! I'm certain you guys don't have one single item in your garage or yard that you havn't touched in over 6 months... like a bicycle? or tons of kids toys? Well, to me this will actually HELP our current situation with trash. When the city switched over to the current size trash can, we realized that if we didn't recycle, we would have to be paying for two trash cans... so it all works out in the end :)

March 25, 2011 at 5:49 p.m.
  • where will this stuff be hauled off to ?

March 23, 2011 at 10:55 p.m.
  • David Hagen: What is the cost of opening a new landfill once the present one fills up? I'm already paying for the relocated sewer and brand new fire station you wanted so why not throw another landfill on top of it?

Gary Brewer: I believe the city has different size cans that you can order. I could be wrong.

Fatguy: Leave the world better than you found it. Accept the teachings of Jesus Christ on this issue.

March 23, 2011 at 9:40 p.m.
  • Recycling ? HA !! Make me .

I will personally consume twice the amount of plastics and paper products and toss them away just to off set you environmental nerds.

March 23, 2011 at 7:56 p.m.
  • first of all i hope the curbside recycling idea just didnt get approved just because somebody decided to use a minor to make the presentation, secondly send my bill to him or to the person that was smart to use him.

i was in modesto, california and nearby there was a company that takes in all types of glass bottles---they sort them out and make all types of colorful glassware---point is those bottles can be reuse , i am notsaying send them to california but have victoria research any company that might take in bottles for reuse and convert them into new recyclable products

March 23, 2011 at 5:09 p.m.
  • Betterthingstodo,
    I would hope that colored glass is not excluded from the list of materials. That's one of our majors. That would make the effort somewhat less for us.
    The idea that someone..a guy on ..ST." is making money from the recycling effort on Huvar St. is OK with me. At least it's not in the landfill. Plus if this happens,the Huvar St. station will be closed.
    Pat Barnes

March 23, 2011 at 3:44 p.m.
  • Mr jbass5,

When you start your post off with "good old boy system of government is alive and well in Victoria" Kind of says a loy about you.

1) Good ole boy system? How? Prove It?
    2) Conflict? EXACTLY WHAT CONFLICT, Please be specific.
    3) Nepotism? Do you know what that means? Please give names, be specific.
    3) Were you at the meeting? Did you hear the presentation?
    4) Have you seen the completed contract? (oh wait its not done yet)

I can't wait to see you attend the council meeting when they present the contracts to be voted on. You wil be there to expose all the Conflict, Nepotism, and the waste. I cant wait to heart your much better alternative.

March 23, 2011 at 2:10 p.m.
  • Well little Ms. Sara Leperio, FYI, I'm not retired, I don't claim to be a know it all, though apparently you're an expert on the subject. If it's true that the person who is negotiating a contract for the city with WM is a former WM employee, then I think there is a possible conflict of interest going on. So I guess there won't be any competitive bidding for this recycling contract for the city. When I lived in League City they used plastics bins about the size of an Igloo cooler for curbside recycling. We never ever required anything as big as a roll around 90 gallon drum for recyclables. See, it's a half-ass deal already. League City sorts its PCR curbside into a multi-compartment truck, which is done by the driver. The best thing Victoria ever did was switch to automated garbage trucks, but this deal here is half baked, and smells of conflict of interest and nepotism.

March 23, 2011 at 1:40 p.m.
  • Why not put it as a subscriber base and those who want it can pay for it?
    I do not have the room to separate trash, or store another can.

March 23, 2011 at 11:35 a.m.
  • Oh Boy everyone! Look another retired "Know it all" spouting BS.

jbass5 why dont't you go down to a council meeting and correct Jerry James? Well??? Did you know the guy that negotiated much of the contract for the city worked at Waste Management for many years before joining the city? Maybe he knows a thing or two about thier operations and profitability? Oh wait, let me guess, he was "paid off" along with the rest of council by Waset Management.

March 23, 2011 at 11:12 a.m.
  • First, let me say that the good old boy system of government is alive and well in Victoria. I have worked in the plastics industry for over 32 years. In the early 1990's I was on the Society of the Plastics Industry RPCD Technical Committee that developed the Material Identification Code system that you see molded into the bottoms of most plastic bottles and other plastic containers. The triangle emblem is intended to help material reclamation centers to identify the different types of plastics that are in the waste stream for sorting purposes. It does signify recyclability, just type of plastic. What I would like to know is did, or did not our city fathers benchmark how other municipalities handle their recycled post consumer waste programs? Once PCR is separated from the waste stream it becomes a recoverable commodity with value. Question; who is recovering this commodity value, the taxpayers of Victoria , or Waste Management? Apparently, a sweetheart deal has been struck between the city and WM. The current market value for HDPE milk jug PCR is between $0.53 - 0.56 / pound. That equals about seven used HDPE milk jugs. The prices of many plastic resins are soaring due to the rise in oil prices. Yet, our city council just voted to give this valued commodity away, and charge the taxpayers to do to boot, and I'm only talking about the value of just one type of plastic that could be recovered from our waste stream. Never mind the value of metals and paper. No wonder Waste Management is so eager to take our recyclables away to Houston. What does our hippy dippy Environment Man Jerry James have to say about this?

March 23, 2011 at 11:02 a.m.
  • Who is the guy on Rio Grande that they use?

If it gives us another 5-10 years use out of our current landfill, then great. We're going to run out of space over there in 10-15 years if we continue on the current pace.

March 23, 2011 at 10:28 a.m.
  • "Fuel prices are going to go up, the CPI is going to go up. A lot of folks are on fixed income. A lot of folks are unemployed. I am concerned about putting even a nominal amount of extra expense on taxpayers," said Hagan."

And this is the guy that was willing to add several dollars to your water bill to move a waste water treatment plant a few miles down the road just to gain a few votes. What an idiot!

March 23, 2011 at 10:26 a.m.
  • Now where am I going to put another one of those BIG CANS?

March 23, 2011 at 10:13 a.m.
  • Talk about waste of money, the City acts like they recycle all the stuff on Huvar St, it actually all gets taken to a guy on Rio Grande Street thats makes money off it, why waste your time taking it to the City...just take it to the other guy so he can make money.

March 23, 2011 at 8:02 a.m.
  • I don’t care if we have curbside pickup or not. We had it in Houston and I loved it. However, the rules will change constantly about what can be picked up. First they excluded colored glass (all those wine and beer bottles just piled up) then they excluded glass all together. HOWEVER, (and yes I was shouting) Houston has recycling centers all over the city and they are open all the time. Mostly they had neighborhood centers so that you didn’t have to drive all over the city. Some had limited hours, but most were open as long as the sun was up. I don’t have any problem driving my recycling over to the center here, except that IT IS RARELY OPEN. Each time I went the hours were shortened or days were eliminated. Recycling is a personal choice and I have personally chosen to do it for almost 20 years. I never agree with forcing people to pay for a “choice” in the form of a tax or forced fee.

March 23, 2011 at 8:01 a.m.
  • Good job City Council! Recycle is important to our natural resources. I can skip a King Size Snickers once a month for a worthy cause!

March 23, 2011 at 7:52 a.m.
  • I am 100% behind the recycling effort! If we don't try to reduce the amount of "stuff" we put in the landfill now we will face a large expense in the not too distant future to purchase land for another landfill. I still think it would be cool for those who DON'T want to recycle have to pay for the privlige of not having to separate the waste and manage two cans. Everytime I toss a glass container I tell myself"It's coming soon,don't worry".
    Partick Barnes

March 23, 2011 at 7:42 a.m.
  • I knew it was coming. I'm for the environment, but recycling is not practical in an economic sense. All it saves is some space in the landfill. About the only way it pays is by putting money in the pocket of Waste Management. I hope it is better managed than the brush pickup is. The rules on that are constantly changing and they charge for something that is picked up, then eventually sold by a private firm for.....you guessed it, a profit. Good job City Council.

March 23, 2011 at 7:42 a.m.
  • Maybe we can dip into the $100K UHV/A&M educational fund!

March 23, 2011 at 7:21 a.m.
  • Don't worry about a thing. We will take care of you. This is where the price starts. The city use to call it money getters. Look at all the charges on your water bill. Remember what the bush/recycle started at. Can you justify 43.44 a year and next comes recycle. But we are doing it for you....

March 23, 2011 at 6:23 a.m.