Comments

• Opps I am sorry. I mean 2008.

2008
    Texas A&M University System $3,500

March 30, 2011 at 3:39 a.m.
  • This sentence from the story is a DOWN RIGHT LIE "A&M cannot advocate for or against legislation, and it won't comment on such questions."

Who fund the Misfire Morrison's reelection campaign in 2006? Look it up on www.followthemoney.org.

March 30, 2011 at 3:16 a.m.
  • pUre curuption. i have family and freinds from Togo at UHV.

NO No No! The village leader is making millions on this. I jusT now it!

March 29, 2011 at 2:01 p.m.
  • JackDeuce, sorry to burst your bubble, but I am not Morgan O'Connor. I am, however, a strong Texas woman who has a right to express my opinion, just as you did.

March 29, 2011 at 8:23 a.m.
  • Perusing the comments here, it's easy to understand why our brightest young graduates high-tail it out of this community the first chance they get.

If Earl Nightengale is right, and I think he is, then we don't stand a chance.

March 28, 2011 at 10:58 p.m.
  • I HOPE GABE FOLLOWS UP WITH A WATCHDOG REPORT THAT FOCUSES ON THE 100K!!!

March 28, 2011 at 10:31 p.m.
  • Apologies to Mr. Hagan, however this is still quite possibly the biggest misuse of tax payers money that I have ever seen. It stinks of unethical behavior from the word GO! If Mr. Sizemore was in touch with the pulse of this community and had a firm grasp on how the majority of this community felt about all of this, he would refund the $999,950.00 he was given. (Keep $50.00 for his troubles) but in all seriousness, this was GRAND THEFT the way I see it!

March 28, 2011 at 10:25 p.m.
  • WHY DONT THE VIDEOS TALK ABOUT THE 100K AND WHO IT IS GOING TOO!!!! THATS WHAT IM NEEDING EDUCATION ABOUT!!!!

March 28, 2011 at 9:20 p.m.
  • I just wanted to set the record straight regarding the $100,000 dollars for lobbying the state legislature. Soliz and Hagan both voted against the use of this money.

March 28, 2011 at 5:27 p.m.
  • Remember that Tim Hudson SUPPORTED Morrison's tuition deregulation bill. How has that worked out for students all over the state?

Source: Victoria Advocate, 05/12/2005, page A2.

March 28, 2011 at 5:21 p.m.
  • People seem to think that Tim Hudson was God's gift to Victoria. Remember, two years after Hudson got here, he was already job searching. From the 05/07/2006 Victoria Advocate:

VICTORIA - University of Houston-Victoria President Tim Hudson has withdrawn his candidacy for the presidency at Murray State University in Kentucky, Hudson said Saturday.
    Hudson, who had been one of three finalists for the position, said the decision was made to stay in Victoria after visiting the community and college in Murray, Ky.

March 28, 2011 at 5:10 p.m.
  • UHV is only a managing partner of UH Sugarland and UH Cinco Ranch. UH built and developed these campuses. They are thriving as UH components. The focus of these campuses is adult continuing education. Why would UH give these centers to UHV which contributed only marginally to their success?

Without the Sugarland and Cinco Ranch students, UHV looks small and expensive to run. You’re right , Anonyme . There is approximately one employee for every three students. What a bureaucracy and drain on state taxpayer dollars.

March 28, 2011 at 2:05 p.m.
  • I have been watching the comments - and it amazes me that the advertisement that comes up in the upper right hand corner is -
    "UHV is number 1 in student satisfaction" and 96% of the seniors polled would choose UHV again. Okay - tell me again why the change?

March 28, 2011 at 11:57 a.m.
  • I can't believe UHV is even going after this. There is no reason to. The demand is not there in Victoria, and the UHS knows that. Have yall noticed that most of the original supporters have dissapeared since the "real" UHV enrollment numbers have come out?

Less than 1,000 students attend the Victoria campus!! Some of you people have unrealistic expectations. You expect them to come in and make UHV the next Texas A&M-College Station. That's not going to happen.

What's going to happen is that the UHS is going to say "Screw you" and Victoria will be left with nothing but Victoria College. Why would Texas A&M take on UHV with 300 students? really?

March 28, 2011 at 11:38 a.m.
  • Now that Sizemore has the website up, and the facebook page (ugh), the Advocate should be able to find out how much of the $100K was spent on this.

Based on what I've seen, if it's more than $50, they spent too much.

March 28, 2011 at 10:27 a.m.

March 28, 2011 at 10:02 a.m.
  • Hookem1, I don't know if it would be self-evident. Market research is often used for many things and ought to at least give something to go on. Maybe the research has already been done and found that this would be a good market. Maybe many who disagree with the study provided have a pre-conceived mistrust that will never be satisfied. Maybe a study hasn't been done yet. The point is, looking at the numbers attending any of the UHV systems (Cinco and Sugarland included) will not be a good representation of the demand. I would say this even if all three were bustling with tens of thousands of commuters because this will not be the market for students that will move into town.

My small university of 2000 undergraduates highly affects the economic development of its hometown. http://www.franciscan.edu/uploadedFil...

If the projections of the study provided by city officials is half wrong, it still impacts the local economy in a good way. Would this offset taxpayer funding for it? I would also argue it would because training and education has a larger rate of return (1) on the economy than many investments in the stock market, roughly 16-19% rate of return for investment in human capital.
    1 http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/3/50/272...

March 28, 2011 at 8:19 a.m.
  • ashley17 says "An aggie does not lie, cheat, steal or tolerate those who do."

What fairy tale world do you live in?

March 28, 2011 at 8:10 a.m.
  • I haven't commented yet - but can't stand it anymore.

An aggie does not lie, cheat, steal or tolerate those who do.

If that is true, why would we endorse anything the current city administration supports?

A&M is a great school - it doesn't need a campus in a small town with a bunch of ego-filled, money-hungry jerks trying to be important...

March 28, 2011 at midnight
  • Once again VEDC and The City posturing for political points. What a joke this bill is never going to make it, and I think the people in the know, know why. Don't let them fool you. Take a good look at where the money goes and you will see the good old boy system doing its job. I wish we could elect whom serves on the VEDC.

March 27, 2011 at 11:25 p.m.
  • 334 students is not a 'destination university'. There are almost as many staff as students and the whole schmear would disappear without outside subsidies.

March 27, 2011 at 4:49 p.m.
  • The most comprehensive numbers available are way down on page 24 or so, projections of growth ect.

Further down is the space available/ use study mandated by the state, that tells the real story of UHV, and it doesn't agree with the local opinion of the "busting at the seams" or "soon to be out of space" often repeated claims.

March 27, 2011 at 2:56 p.m.
  • Jared,
    MY main point is ...
    IF there was a true demand for a 'destination university' in Victoria, no one would need to be 'pointed in the right direction' to find a study to 'prove' it. It would be self evident.

The demand that DOES exist comes from the, so called, 'vision' of the politicians and the economic developers. The end goal of these people is to have student loan money and tax dollars spent here to stimulate the local economy.
    The end goal of the student is to get a degree without being in debt for the rest of their life.

I do NOT have a problem with having a growing local economy. I DO have a problem with mis-representing what you are doing and saying that, 'for the good of all', you are satisfying a need that does not exist. I also have a problem with politicians just plain old gambling with taxpayer money just because they think it is the right thing to do.

March 27, 2011 at 2:52 p.m.
  • Pilot.

You said that the David and Goliath story was a fairy tale. Well I am going to disagree with you there. I can prove to you that little people can defeat the big. It is called faith and the human spirit. I have faith that this bill and that of the State Rep’s political career will be dead .

March 27, 2011 at 2:30 p.m.
  • Hookem1, using data is what I am saying. I wasn't referencing any particular study. I know there is one that with projections and what not.

My main point is that using current enrollemt (prior to current year) is not an accurate way to understand the demand because up to this year, UHV has been a commuter campus. The market for a destination university will not be Victoria and surrounding area. What is the market for those outside? I don't know those answers but I would be interested if you can point me in the right direction.

EA, Those demographics would yield a better picture of the market I think.

March 27, 2011 at 2:13 p.m.
  • Real question ( not being sarcastic),

Did the 100K come from the same budget and committe that denied an abatement request from the group of people that wanted to build a water park at riverside?

March 27, 2011 at 1:45 p.m.
  • N45BA--You get the Porking lot stuff right, everytime!

The comment about the 1000 fold return may be pretty significant one day. We just need to credit the right guy with the comment. And I think Halepaska makes enough goofy statements on his own.

March 27, 2011 at 11:09 a.m.
  • Bravo for our State Senator. If there is a location that deserves a four year "destination" university it is Sugarland, not Victoria. When we are going to be asked to sacrifice the limited state services we have because of the faulty political budgeting of the past, it is no time to be embarking on an unnecessary, unjustified university to placate a few local politicos and their cronies with vested interests.
    Our state representative is quoted in the Advocate as saying the move to A&M would cost the taxpayers nothing. Is she going to pay for the new letterhead, signage, staff time for record conversion etc out of HER pocket?

March 27, 2011 at 10:44 a.m.
  • N45BA,

It was City Councilman Joe Truman who promised us the 1000 fold return, not City Councilman Tom Halepaska, or Kalepaska either.

Jared,

You raise a good question about the hometowns of the students. We know the freshmen are required to live in the dorm. Are there any Victoria County freshmen? Are they in the dorm or at home? We get the demographics when they graduate and the names are published. We don't need names, just numbers.

In all fairness, we know they were recruiting out of Victoria. But yes, let's see the data.

March 27, 2011 at 10:26 a.m.
  • Jared,
    You make a lot of assumptions in your post that are far from proven facts. I dis-trust these 'studies' you reference because they inevitably end up supporting the views of who ever pays for them.

Your supply & demand arguement is valid. Right now, the only demand I see for this expanded new college in Victoria is from politicians and VEDC who want increased economic activity in Victoria ... without reguard for who ends up paying for it.
    The demand I see from students (as represented by the enrollment figures) is for a low cost way to get a degree from a reputable university.

If every community in the country built a new university, then the 'supply' of would exceed the 'demand' from the potential students, and the cost to the students would probably go down.
    Who pays for all of these new 'Destination Universities'?

If you consider the Supply & Demand facts as they stand, (enrollment figures) the Morrison/Armstrong/VEDC position is reduced to, "If you build it, they will come." This position may/may not increase economic activity in Victoria but it certainly does not help the students with their main concern (lower costs) and it is a tremendous gamble with money that belongs to the taxpayers, not the politicians.

You say, "The proper way to consider it is, 'Is there a market for a destination university?'" I would say look at the actual enrollment figures, and not some 'study'.

I am like you. I do not have all the answers. However, I do believe that the quotes these people give to the paper should be honest. Distorting the true figures behind 'studies' and misrepresenting your motives behind platitudes is something the citizens do not need or appreciate.

March 27, 2011 at 10:13 a.m.
  • Victoria is not a suburb of Houston.

March 27, 2011 at 10:05 a.m.
  • I just want to see itemized spending of the 100K, and exactly which budget it came from?

March 27, 2011 at 10:01 a.m.
  • I went to A&I in Kingsville before it was A&M - it was a suit case college - destination maybe, but everyone left on weekends. If the educational system can afford and needs another destination university, I am not sure it will be such a shot in the arm for the local community. Having gone back to Kingsville since A&M has taken over - I honestly don't see much difference - in fact alot of the dorms that were open when I was there - are closed now. A&M certainly has more name recognition which I think would attract students though.

March 27, 2011 at 9:44 a.m.
  • I would also like to see a report on how many out-of-town students who actually sit in a seat (not online) we have now. And why they chose UHV?
    Also I keep hearing how A&M has improved other colleges they have acquired from bloggers but I have also read where they have done nothing. I would like to see how A&M improved the area. What did A&M do? How much did the cities have to contribute to the improvements? What was the increase in the workforce and how many new businesses were brought in? How many new in the seat students did A&M bring in?
    How do we know A&M will come in and change anything? They can't comment, they haven't done any kind of study.

March 27, 2011 at 9:36 a.m.
  • The figures of how many students does play a role no doubt. Counting the figures of present online/butt in seats for the Victoria campus and projecting this figure for a destination university will not be accurate though. The proper way to consider it is, "Is there a market for a destination university?" Counting the number of students present in the UHV system is mainly counting the number of students that commute or live in a commutable area.

To say that there is no demand for a destination university based on current UHV enrollment will never give the accurate representation needed to make a decision because the market is different and will serve those both inside the vacinity and mainly outside the region. Granted, I don't have the figures, research, or studies to suggest there is a market for another university whether that be UHV or TAMU-V. I am just saying that taking current UHV enrollment and making a decision to expand to a destination university based on that data is not a way to defend or defeat the proposed project of a destination university.

More accurate would be using the data for the freshman and sophomore classes of current UHV. What percentage of these freshmen and sophomores are from outside the commutable region and are living here? What are the projections for each succeeding year? Does this data suggest there is enough demand? Like I said, I don't have the answers because I don't have the data, but I do know these are more appropriate questions when trying to find the answer.

March 27, 2011 at 9:03 a.m.
  • Victoria has a chance to become a destination for students of higher education. UH only wants the status quo for Victoria. Texas A&M offers a better university system, proven track record, and a vision for the future. UH Sugarland and Cinco Ranch can stay with the UH system, and Victoria and it's programs can switch to A&M. Fort Bend County will be getting an additional system in A&M, and still keep UH. When Morrison's bill gets out of the House, Hegar can work out any changes needed for additional support and students, communities and all concerned can be a winner. Other than the 10 people who always post negative comments regardless of issue, the support of Texas A&M Victoria is real and growing everyday. Gig em!

March 27, 2011 at 8:54 a.m.
  • Morrison's Bill is dead in the water. It will never see the light of Day.

Rep. Howard wouldn't even return the Advocates phone calls. Not even his staff!!!!!

Mayor willie's ""This is all a work in progress and typifies the way the American system is supposed to work,"

I quess by the wording "the way the American system is supposed to work," refers to the illegal meeting (no public notice) to buget money through VEDC to hire a lobbist and the illegal resloution to support a change to Texas A&M. The resolution is illegal because there was no agend item to support it or allow the public to speak to it.

March 27, 2011 at 7:43 a.m.
  • Well said, Hookem. The enrollment numbers speak volumes about the demand of the areas they serve. Cinco Ranch and Sugarland obviously have grown to meet the demands of a dynamic population. Despite a "head start" by decades, the Victoria has not illustrated such a growth.

Our local leaders are alienating the UH System to the benefit of themselves, not the students.

March 27, 2011 at 7:30 a.m.
  • Per your figures from a previous article:
    4188 ... UHV total enrollment

2015 ... On-Line only 48%
    1375 ... Sugarland/Cinco Ranch 33%
    400 ... In person & on-line in Victoria 9%
    334 ... In Person in Victoria 8%
    64 ... Other 2%
    If it is true that 'numbers don't lie' ... they should call it UH-OnLine or UH-Sugarland/Cinco Ranch way before it is called UH-Victoria.

It appears to me that UH-V is currently an inexpensive way for students to get the required credits they need to acheive a degree from a recognized university. By changing it to an expanded, face-to-face, brick & mortar university, (no matter what the name) the cost to the student must increase. I oppose making it even more expensive for these students to get ahead.

I have read all of these excellent articles by Mr. Semenza and I have yet to see anything which convinces me that this expansion will benefit the students, by providing them with a degree at a lower cost. If sucessful, the Morrison/Armstrong/VEDC/et.al plan MAY stimulate economic growth in Victoria .... but, it will be growth that is based on debt. The debt will be on the students in the form of even larger student loans and most likely debt to the Victoria citizens in the form of infrastructure improvments. There has to be a better way to help the local economy.

When there is a quote from any of these people about the "need of the community", remember that it has nothing to do with the needs of the students.

March 27, 2011 at 7:09 a.m.
  • has u of h even hinted about wanting to keep uh-v ?

March 27, 2011 at 12:11 a.m.