Comments

• For all those that want a "dangerous dog list" you should first educate yourself on "Lillian's Law".

Rules and regulations will not work without proper enforcement and education!

People should be allowed to own whatever breed of dog they want. If they are irresponsible in their responsibilities as a dog owner then punish them not the breed!

March 29, 2011 at 9:26 a.m.
  • To garyh thankfully you sound like a good owner but I have seen so many dogs put on chains and forgotten. I think its bad dog owners who should be banned. I had neighbors who would chain their small dog in the back yard with no shelter and no food or water after calling animal control many many times and providing a doghouse for the dog myself and even feeding and watering the dog on my own if finally died. Why the dog died I don’t know but it was only a year and a half old and it was easy for them to replace it so I guess who cares? It is the few who give the many a bad name.

March 29, 2011 at 4:41 a.m.
  • Yeah, Yeah ! Pits are a peaceful, loving breed, as much as Islam is a peaceful, loving religion.

March 28, 2011 at 7:17 p.m.
  • Jewl12, which dog was there first? Is your moms dog older than 8 months?

That is pack mentality, sure the younger dog didn't respond, for now the dog knows it's place in the pack, the older dog is the boss.

One day the younger dog will get tired of being number two in the pack and take over as pack leader or alpha dog.

It is in all dogs nature, most people too.

The only difference between Pits and other breeds is the inherited attack method. Pits don't bite to warn thinking back off. they bite first to immobilize, then to kill, there is no warning "snap", that causes a bruise, to a Pit, when it is on, it is on... until one of the other is dead.

March 28, 2011 at 7:01 p.m.
  • Another know it all, my dogs are chained Guess that makes me an abusive neglectful owner.. even tho they get off each day for walks and exercise.I also weight pull with my dogs guess that's cruel and inhumane too...I guess atleast y'all aren't abscent minded enough to want to band them..people die in cars,plains,and by the hands of other people. Guess you should be punished for driving ,flying,and breathing.. This isn't a free country anymore to many people think they know what's best for everyone else..If they would spend more time worrying bout themselves than everyone else the world would be a much better place..

March 28, 2011 at 5:46 p.m.
  • my moms chihuahua was just biting my 8 month pit and he didnt do a thing. so please stop saying how "horrible" these dogs are! yes a chihuahua is alot smaller but they can still hurt someone and be aggressive. both of my pits have been bitten by my moms chihuahua and mini doberman and by a neighbor small dog. now if this breed was so aggressive i think all three dogs would be dead by now! you peopl talk out of your a**es when you have never even owned a pit. ANY DOG can bite! proud to say dr beck is my dogs vet and a smart man!

March 28, 2011 at 5:31 p.m.

March 28, 2011 at 1:57 p.m.
  • Why don't we do something to ban chaining dogs. It has been proven over and over that chaining CAN instill aggression in dogs. Dogs are by nature, social and intelligent animals that need jobs - they need purpose. When they are confined to a chain in a backyard - the frustration and LACK of socialization leads to aggression. So, when their freedom comes and that chain or collar breaks - they don't have the social skills or the emotional ability to deal with their new surroundings which can be scary! Rather than deal with breed specific bans - lets crack down on abuse, neglect and chaning (which in my opinion IS abuse and neglect!)

March 28, 2011 at 12:32 p.m.
  • Don't care if it is a tiny yapper, if it hurts anybody the owner should pay out he nose.

March 28, 2011 at 11:29 a.m.
  • That's why there should be a "dangerous dog" list. There are a few other dogs that are just as dangerous.
    Every owner of such dogs should have to:
    1. post signs that they have the dog on the premises, type specific.
    2. Have approved covered, and floored, pens for the dogs, since normal fencing really cannot contain the dog. If the dog is a house dog, special screen doors and alarms on the doors to alert the owner that the door is being breached.
    3. Have muzzles on the premises for those times when people other than the immediate families have to be on the premises.
    4. Get a permit to own such a dog, so the local authorities know about them and when loose dogs hurt someone, they can figure out who owns them. Maybe they should even have to have that chip implanted.
    5. Make the owner get good liability insurance
    6. Make the owner legally responsible if "anything" happens, and that means murder charges if their dog ever kills anyone.

Owning dogs that have known issues, should be no different than owning exotic and large cats. Pits are known to be tempermental. I'm pretty sure that not one family that owned a pit, thought it would ever hurt anyone, but they did. We hear it on the news all the time.

March 28, 2011 at 10:39 a.m.

March 28, 2011 at 10:18 a.m.
  • Making Pitbull owners pay extra for owning the breed is ridiculous. You are basically saying the same as if someone has to pay an extra insurance if they have a child who is a bully or gets in fights all the time. I have a pitbull myself and he is the sweetest thing towards humans, but he is dog aggressive...but so are many other breeds. My 10 lb little mutt is more people aggressive than my pit, but because she is small, people dont care. How many dog bites happen in the US that aren't reported. Pitbull bites are heard more than others because of the media and their reputation, so people are more inclined to report it.
    When it comes to having signs, I believe anyone owning a dog should have signs up, even though it does not stop people from agitating dogs when they see them. More often than not, people try to mess with the dogs, no matter the breed, and when they get bit, it's the dog's fault.
    In conclusion, we syould punish irresponsible owners and not the dogs...and we should not always jump to conclusions but rather investigate what happened and whos is realoy at fault in those cases.

March 28, 2011 at 9:04 a.m.
  • I know the pit bulls I have owned have been sweet dogs. I also keep them in a kennel so that those who need to go into our backyard (ex: Electricity Guy to read the meter) can have a peace of mind. Its all about being a responsible owner and raising them correctly when you do get one. Also we do have a sign it reads "Beware if Dog". It is posted on each fence that faces a street, but we still have neighborhood kids that love to taunt our dogs and hit the fence to hear them bark.

March 28, 2011 at 7:13 a.m.

March 28, 2011 at 7:04 a.m.
  • I agree with everything born2Bme said, but I also believe the owners of PitBulls should have to carry at least a $100,000 insurance policy. Granted, this will not bring back a life in the case of an attack, but it will help pay for medical bills due to an attack. I also believe that EVERY yard that contains a PitBull should have a sign posted.

March 28, 2011 at 1:13 a.m.
  • I don't necessarily think that banning certain dogs is the answer. But, I do think that there should be a dangerous dog "list" and mandatory registering (with a fee) of those dogs is warranted. Then, a covered fence that must meet safety regulations, issued by the city, is a must.
    The problems starts when people get dogs and do not understand the breed, nor do they take the necessary precautions to keep them contained. Maybe making stringent rules about owning one, would deter people who shouldn't own them, from choosing them for pets.

March 27, 2011 at 11:36 p.m.