Comments

• JD, I love how you assume that the rest of us out here are monkeys with no degrees. Frankly, if you have a credit or deferred payment based building, then run credit checks....dont stupidly depend on word of mouth and the advocate seriously does not have the right to violate private account information and putting it out there for the world to see. If I wanted to do business with you, then I would fill out forms and have you run my credit. If you run a store, then needing this information is just silly. Keeping a notebook about such information is just plain silly.Then again running he said she said credit checks instead of the real credit check is a winning idea and full of promise...have fun going out of business (and by the way...yes have my business degree). Also, would love to know how reporting debts in the paper does not violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

May 10, 2011 at 8:03 p.m.
  • No problem, JD, and you have made an excellent choice!

May 10, 2011 at 7:33 p.m.

May 10, 2011 at 7:19 p.m.
  • My question was: "What do you have, a notebook where you mark down the names of the folks you 'hear' may not be credit worthy?"

You replied: "@EdithAnn: Yes, actually we do record such information. "

So, JD, I could walk into your business and while I am checking out, casually remark that I heard John Doe doesn't pay his bills (because I am mad at him over something totally unrelated), and you jot that down somewhere? And take it as fact?

Do us all a favor and tell us what business you're in so the rest of us can avoid you. If you don't want to put it out there for everyone to see, at least message me so I can avoid you.

Where did you get your business degree?

May 10, 2011 at 10:56 a.m.

May 10, 2011 at 9:19 a.m.
  • Yes the economy sucks, but I don't buy it. My husband and I have student loans. We consolidated with the Department of Education. They have been wonderful. We have had to make late payments or no payments at all before and they are more than helpful. We have had hardship deferments, our payments adjusted to our income and fee's waived. They will do anything to help you out. Sounds like these people just ignored everything instead of handling business. All you have to do is ask for help and they will. So I throw a flag on the bleeding heart, the economy is bad theory. :)

May 10, 2011 at 9:18 a.m.

May 10, 2011 at 8:58 a.m.
  • Defaulted student loans are reported to the credit bureau. Also this is one of the few items that the Government can confiscate your Federal tax return for as well as garnish your wages.
    It is a fairly simple task to have these loans deferred or work out a payment plan.
    The problem with some of these loans is the interest rate can be so high you could pay for the rest of your life and never pay them back. If your loan is in default you can negotiate a lower interest rate and start a payment plan that you can afford based on your income just like with defaulted credit cards.
    Yes it can be a nasty business but pick up the phone and call them. They can't harm you over the phone and if the person on the other end is rude or not helpful ask for a supervisor.
    Ignoring the debt is not going to make it go away.

May 10, 2011 at 7:27 a.m.

May 9, 2011 at 11:30 p.m.

May 9, 2011 at 11:25 p.m.
  • I think that if no one gets anywhere in this world without a higher education, then it should be partially or fully funded with American tax dollars instead of sending the to foreign countries. The qualifications for student aid stink and shouldnt be based on what the PARENT has for income. after all, Kids are usually well over the legal age when starting college.

May 9, 2011 at 10:43 p.m.
  • JD--What do you have, a notebook where you mark down the names of the folks you 'hear' may not be credit worthy?

That's what a credit check is for.

Otherwise, HEB would be scanning you at the door BEFORE you shop.

May 9, 2011 at 9:58 p.m.

May 9, 2011 at 9:28 p.m.
  • Believe me, this is a story and probably will not have a debtors column in the paper every day...they may, but that will be very interesting...shall we see credit card's that are suing people, banks suing people and the government? Would be a long list of names...maybe we could line everyone up with a D on their chest? The story and letting people know the government is doing this is fine, getting the names just because the advocate can due to a ludicrous act is a poor editorial decision.

May 9, 2011 at 8:15 p.m.
  • Hey JD what are you going to do? Go beat them up? Why do YOU need to know? Going to give them a scarlet letter? Why do WE need to know the names?

May 9, 2011 at 8:07 p.m.
  • Edith I am right there with you. They said they were worried about the ethics of publishing public enemy number one but then the next day published a picture of a 4 year old child on a stretcher being rushed into an emergency room....hmmmm.....some interesting choices being made by the advocate...next thing: every speeding ticket will be published.

May 9, 2011 at 8:06 p.m.
  • Actually, if you get laid off or are experiencing some form of financial hardship, you can get your payments deferred. Since these loans originated in the 90's & they are finally getting to this point, it seems to me that there hasn't been any effort to pay off these loans. This makes them no better than anyone picked up for credit card abuse or theft by check....they basically stole money.

May 9, 2011 at 7:03 p.m.
  • Actually, holein1, I paid off my student loans just fine, thank you for asking! No, I'm not afraid of ending up on the list.

It's just that one week the Advocate is concerned about the ethics of publishing a picture of bin Laden 'because we are a family newspaper', then another time they have no problem with Aprill Brandon's lack of ethical discretion with her use of the vulgar slang 'poontang'. I guess they weren't a 'family newspaper then'.

Heck, they can print anything they want, including pictures of folks having clandestine meetings, a la Cheaters. It's their paper.

And it's still tacky.

May 9, 2011 at 6:24 p.m.

May 9, 2011 at 4:21 p.m.
  • Article says that these were loans made in the 90's. Why wern't they paying them back then when the economy was good. Probably because they never had any intention too .

May 9, 2011 at 3:49 p.m.
  • If it isn't then I say that's even more reason for the VicAd to publish them. Afraid you'd end up on the list, or do you just think it's tacky?

What about businesses that post hot checks or Miller's Appliance that puts deadbeats on their marquee? Personally I think it's great and encourage other businesses in town to do so.

May 9, 2011 at 3:41 p.m.
  • I would be more strongly against the public shaming of debtors if these debts were recent. However, these debts are from the 1990s -- I think two decades is long enough to blame everyone else (Bush, Clinton, Bush, Bush, Obama, the economy, the war(s), etc.) for not paying these debts off.

Jack, the government continues to make student loans at for-profit schools because there is a HUGE and well funded PAC working for them in Washington. Most recently, their target was the department of defense because they had stricter rules than DOE on the use of GI Bill benefits (over $250m/year) at for-profit schools. The bigger problem is that both for-profit and traditional schools over sell the benefits of their programs and the ability of graduates to pay back that money. After the GAO report last year on this topic, the House and Senate formed separate committees to investigate and are, naturally, headed in completely separate directions -- republicans blasting the GAO and the DOD and democrats demanding stricter scrutiny of for-profits by DOE.

May 9, 2011 at 3:40 p.m.
  • Victoria Business Magazine has not been published for a couple of years, or more.

May 9, 2011 at 3:39 p.m.
  • Is the Victoria Business Magazine still being published? I haven't seen it in ages.

May 9, 2011 at 3:26 p.m.
  • Scorpio,
    I agree with you completely! There is way to much abuse in the system!

May 9, 2011 at 3:24 p.m.
  • The Victoria Business Magazine publishes divorce, bankruptcy and other information. I guess they're a tabloid.

May 9, 2011 at 3:13 p.m.
  • Why publish their names? Because anyone who sees other people's names in the paper will try extra hard to start paying their loans back so their name doesn't go in the paper. It makes it real to them. Otherwise, they will just blow it off too.
    You have to remember that these people were contacted by other means numerous times before it came to this. They must not have acted in an adult way when they just decided that they weren't going to worry about it.
    I know one of these people and I know where they live and what kind of job they have now and there is NO REASON that they cannot pay back their loans, other than just deciding not to.

May 9, 2011 at 1:41 p.m.
  • Okay Why Publish these peoples names. It's hard enough to pay a debit alone. Humm maybe we should cut OBAMA"S Pay he is GOVERMENT isn't he..

May 9, 2011 at 12:50 p.m.

May 9, 2011 at 12:35 p.m.
  • EdithAnn,

This serves two purposes. Number one, it is a deterrent. Number 2, it is letting people know that the government is trying to collect what it is owed.
    It seems that some people on this forum do not believe that the government is going after Medicare fraud because it is never written about, or at least not often enough.
    These kinds of stories do open a few people's eyes and get them out of their comfort zone of trying to work the system at every turn. Now, we just need more investigation into other forms of fraud, including food stamp abuse, SS disability abuse, Earned Income credit abuse, and everything else that is public-paid.

May 9, 2011 at 12:21 p.m.
  • Just a drop in the bucket - that is what has gotten the US into the debt we have - everything is just a drop in the bucket. So what - we don't need to cut billions off our spending - it is just a drop in the bucket compared to the trillions.
    What happened to someone's word meaning something? These people said they would repay the debt.

May 9, 2011 at 12:19 p.m.
  • that's part of the deal!

May 9, 2011 at 12:11 p.m.
  • I see some of the points some of you are trying to make, but I think this just puts the Advocate one step closer to a tabloid paper.

Shall we have the bankruptcies and divorces printed, too?

I don't disagree that these folks are in the wrong, but why would we need to know 'who'? Those who think we need to know--are you going to collect the debt?

Sugar, Sure it's our tax money, but this debt is probably a drop in the bucket compared to the overall government wasteful spending.

May 9, 2011 at 11:39 a.m.
  • Sad truth is the Victoria Advocate prints every petty crime (" Newspaper stolen, $1.50) but refuse to print trial outcomes unless it is a mass murder. It is a newspaper. Try printing news, not developing human interest stories that while sweet have little impact on our lives and fellow citizens.

May 9, 2011 at 11:18 a.m.
  • I pay my debts and I expect everyone else to do the same. Every time a person takes out a loan they are taking a risk. Misfortune befalls everyone sooner or later but that doesn't remove the responsibility of paying back the loan, one way or another. Too many people have gotten used to the government footing their way and see nothing wrong with not repaying what they owe. The filing of a legal action is a last ditch option after other efforts have failed. Bottom line is...don't borrow money you are not certain that you can pay back regardless of the circumstances.

May 9, 2011 at 10:46 a.m.
  • Not everyone is spoon fed like some of you posters here. DO you really expect to get laid off when you applied for aid? I wish some bad luck on some of you. And Advocate, how about posting some private smack on some of your own, like the druggies in the family. I mean, we have a right to know.

May 9, 2011 at 9:47 a.m.
  • Newspapers post the names of people who do not pay their property taxes, those who have theft by check charges against them, and many other issues. Why not this? Maybe if people know what can happen to them publicly, they will pay off their loans.
    I happen to know of one of these people's father, and I know they have the money to pay off the loans.

May 9, 2011 at 9:40 a.m.
  • This is not like a personal credit card debt. This involves tax dollars being used, namely MY tax dollars. I would like to know who is defaulting on their loans. After all, if you receive a loan, you are bound BY LAW to pay it back. This is the way the world works, and those who receive student loans are well aware when they sign the paperwork what their obligations are.

I worked hard, as did many others, to get through school. The majority of people who get loans pay them back, by hook or by crook, because it is the right and honorable thing to do. Defaulting on a loan is unethical.

I realize this sounds harsh, but again, people know full well what they are getting into when they ask for aid. If they can't, or won't, abide by those terms, then they can do as I and so many others did and work their way through school without asking for anything from anybody, either loan or grant. Pay your own way through, and you will NEVER owe anybody else.

I say, POST 'EM, VicAd!

May 9, 2011 at 9:13 a.m.
  • Debtors Gaol!

May 9, 2011 at 9:09 a.m.
  • The economy sucks! People cant afford to feed themself or even put gas in their vehical now days. Most people just pay the bare necessities to survive. That is food, shelter, and transportation. Some people are doing without medication because they can not afford it. That is just not right. The government will probably seek to take their pay to repay this debt. We dont know their financial situation. We do not know what kind of traggidy they may have had or if it was unemployement that caused them to not pay. NOT EVERY ONE THAT DEFAULTS IS A LAZY FREELOADER WANTING SOMETHING FOR NOTHING. Some people have real problems. I think the government should re think the public asssistance programs they have in place. I stood in line yesterday at Walmart to by my pitiful amout of expensive groceries and watched a yound woman with two small kids, pull out several lonestar cards to pay of junk food, pizza, chips, all stuff because she was having a party with her friends. While she had two dirty little kids sitting there looking all neglected. All the while bragging she had gone out drinking to cactus the night before and had hang over. I know that the foodstamp place does not give 3 lonestar cards. She had to get them from her friends or family. The checker should never allow that to ever take place. I feel if you have to have assistance you should have to be held at a level of responsibility. COME ON IF YOUR ON PUBLIC AID THAT SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR NUTRITIOUS FOOD FOR YOUR FAMILY. YOU SHOULD NOT BE THROWING PARTIES WITH IT. NO ONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO USE SEVERAL ASSISTANCE CARDS AT ONCE. That is why our country is in debt. Shame on Walmart for letting that happen and shame on the government too. If your gonna crack down on the student loan defaulters then crack down on the breeding freeloaders too.

May 9, 2011 at 9:05 a.m.
  • I think it's great they publish their names. Good job Advocate. Those debts not being paid back, in the end affect others trying to get student loans. I am sure it also affects me somehow down the food chain with my tax dollars. If they received these loans, the also probably got some FREE monies for school as well. They owe the money, why is it different than a crime that you read in the police blotter?

May 9, 2011 at 8:56 a.m.
  • It's bad enough having to owe $$$$'s just to get the semblance of a decent education but to then have your name blasted all over the newspaper...

May 9, 2011 at 8:48 a.m.

May 9, 2011 at 8:43 a.m.

May 9, 2011 at 8:06 a.m.
  • Are you serious?

The Advocate is now going to publish the names of folks being sued for bad debt? I know this is public record, but really?

Can we expect to see EVERYONE's poor choices published in the paper?

This is a new low for the Advocate I do believe.

May 9, 2011 at 7:29 a.m.